2017 NFL Football Season

Crowbar

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby Crowbar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 am

Glad the Eagles won yesterday. Also glad it was a garbage team they played yesterday, for they masked some issues the Birds have. If they okay like that against the Chiefs it'll be a long, brutal afternoon.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Dude, we are heading to the Superbowl!! I say we beat the Chiefettes by 9

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am

Putting this here because it came up in a football column.

Dad (and everyone else who's interested) - you should check out Peter King's comments in yesterday's Monday Morning QB column about the Red Sox stealing signs with technology scandal and the difference between baseball and football and how they handle these things. It was a short, and I thought really lucid and intelligent, take on the topic.

His basic point was this: First, the Red Sox technically cheated. Stealing signs in baseball is legal but using technology to do so is not. So, they violated the rules. But, when you look at their record against the Yankees this year, it really didn't give them any advantage (he assumes they did this all year long against many teams, btw). So, while MLB has to respond to what is a clear violation of their rules, you can probably expect the response to be proportional and them not to declare war on the Red Sox. He figures some fine and the loss of a mid-tier or lower draft pick. Seems about right to me. They have to so something in response to what the Red Sox did, but it's not worth making a spectacle out of the whole thing and it's certainly better for MLB if it's basically forgotten.

He then compares it to how the NFL handled Ballghazi and likens it to "killing an ant with a sledgehammer". His basic point was that Brady's performance over his career has been pretty consistent for both home and road games, so this could not have been giving him any huge advantage. And, the evidence that it even actually happened was far from ironclad. So, why go to war over it? It made the NFL look vindictive and petty and really hurt their relationship with the union.

It's just a few paragraphs but makes an interesting point. I agree. I suspect Brady actually did have the ball pressure lowered to his liking, but I think it had minimal, if any, impact on his performance. The reaction was over the top ridiculous and it never made any sense to me. Worth the read.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Peter King is dead to me.

He poured gasoline all over the Ballghazi fire in the early days. And much of what he reported as fact turned out later to be complete BS. And then, after all the damage was done and Commissioner Poop-for-Brains imposed that totally ridiculous penalty. he tried to distance himself from the "mob" and did a flip-flop on his earlier stance.

Peter King can ESAD.

Mrs psu_dad: You like to hold grudges, don't you?
Me: No. I love to hold grudges.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Well, his latest opinion may have resurrected him, but it's not that great, or unique, a perspective you have to read it

I didn't remember that being his take on the whole thing but I'm not totally shocked.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot!

That's how dead Peter King is to me.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Dead like a nailed, stuffed parrot.

Got it.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Brian Cushing suspended 10 games for violating the NFL substance abuse policy.

That's a shame.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Wentz was slightly disappointing that past weekend. He threw a huge pick and my issue that he tried to get rid of it but he threw the ball off a defenders head. That was one of the differences in the game. Throw that ball into the ground! WIth that being said, I think the Eagles win the NFC East!! We will find out this Sunday when we host the Giants!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:53 pm

The Giants are proving to be awful. I wouldn't expect to take much from sunday.