Florence

Blue&White

Florence

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:56 pm

We have several forum members who are sitting in the storm's path. Hope all of you stay safe and, if you have the means, hope you are GTF out of there.

Let us know that you guys are ok, please.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Shane

Re: Florence

Postby Shane » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Thoughts and prayers to everyone and stay safe.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I have been through several hurricanes since moving to Norfolk. We evacuated for one, but were planning to go away that weekend long in advance. We are not in a mandatory evacuation zone at this point and am not sure what our plans are. My big concern is that the storm will slow down and linger once making landfall. The ground is already saturated and the wind will bring down trees when it shifts directions. I am not currently worried and hope it stays that way. The Carolinas look to be more of a target right now.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:26 am

The latest models show Flo tracking more to the south and I am out of the cone but still in step g wind and rain zones as she is a big one. Be safe down there, 92!

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:30 am

I just remembered today one of my best buds in college is the Chief Ranger for the National Park Service in the Outer Banks.

I can't imagine the craziness of packing up wife and kids out of Manteo, evacuating & securing the parks, getting the eff out of there yourself while you can... to say nothing for the monstrous undertaking to follow when the barrier islands triple in number and quarter in size.

Stay safe, Boone. Thinking of you , '92 and the rest nearby, hopefully on high ground.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am

Down to a Cat 2 now, which is fortunate. While tracks are now farther away from OBX, South Carolina looks to be more unfortunate now, getting a lot of rain for a long time even if the winds aren't as bad as before. Grab a canoe, '92...

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 am

I believe Mark is in SC as well but I'm not sure where exactly.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:20 am

I think he's in Greenville, which is inland. So, hopefully flooding for him is minimal.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am

Do reporters think that if we don't see them outside in the wind and rain we won't believe there is a hurricane? Why are they there? I was watching ABS at 6 AM this morning and some woman was reporting from the NC coast, talking about people who refused to leave and now had to be rescued. Hello?! Who is going to get the news teams out of there? Seems to me they are creating a need for rescue teams to come back and get them. The idea of sending reporters into storms like that just seems ludicrous to me.

Also, if you are told there is a massive hurricane coming, and that you have to evacuate, and you choose to stay - that's on you. The idea that other people have to later risk their lives to come get you is ridiculous. You makes your choices, you takes your chances. Christie, for all his faults, was spot on about that point. When Sandy came he told people out on Long Beach Island and the shore areas that were in real danger they had to get out and if they did not, don't come calling for help. After the storm came he sent the national guard and state police in one last tim to try to convince people to leave. Anyone who didn't was on their own. He refused to risk lives to go get them. I was in 100% agreement with that. As far as I'm aware, none of those people died as a result of not leaving, but they easily could have. It was a bad storm.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am

Do reporters think that if we don't see them outside in the wind and rain we won't believe there is a hurricane? Why are they there?

Probably because of Dan Rather.

He's considered the originator of this nonsense. When a massive hurricane hit Houston in the early 60s, he was a nobody local TV reporter. He reported live from the shore during the peak of the hurricane, something not usually done. The footage was apparently so insane (for that era) that it got the attention of CBS executives in NY and the network hired him.

When Rather became wealthy enough to afford custom-made dress shirts, he had the meteorology symbol for a hurricane embroidered onto the cuff of each shirt he purchased. No, I didn't make that up.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)