2018 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am

I actually think ARod is ok as an announcer. Leaps and bounds better than Joe Morgan.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm

I'll at least give ARod credit for understanding that he had a reputation to rehabilitate and that acting like an insufferable know-it-all was not the way to get that done. Morgan lasting as long as he did is one the Greatest Mysteries of All Time.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:27 pm

ARod's a douche.

RE: DWright. So many layers here. I'm REALLY going to miss him. I know he hasn't been around the last three years, but, man, there was something about him standing tall as the face of the franchise through thick and thin that marked him as a great Met. I fully expect that he'll have his number retired, the third such in the history of the Mets. Deservedly so...Frankly, the Mets under the Wilpons didn't deserve him.

BW - their designating him as physically unable to perform. My thinking is along the lines of yours: they're negotiating a settlement with the insurance company to offset a large chunk of what DWright's owed. And yeah, as sad as it makes me, it's the right time for DW to retire. Great Met, great player, great person.
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Before Wright got hurt he was a near lock for the Hall of Fame. Even with his career cut short he ranks among the top of all time 3rd basemen. With the shortened career I see him as being on the bubble. If I had to place a bet here, I'd bet he doesn't get in. Injuries cut him down just a little too early. He may get in. Between 2005 and 2014 there were only 5 players with a higher WAR than Wright: Albert Pujols, Chase Utley, Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Beltre, and Robinson Cano. And, Cano cheated. But, aside from Cano, the other 4 are probably locks for Cooperstown (I hope someone sideswipes Utley's car and drives him off a cliff and he breaks his leg on the way to the induction ceremony). So, he's got a chance. We'll see. Mattingly was cut short due to spinal stenosis and he never got in. But, he was much further on the bubble than Wright is. Wright's numbers are much better, and he played 3rd vs. 1st.

We'll see.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Like I said, the Mets best chance for a win was tonight when Syndergaard was on the mound. Man, that was brutal for the Sawx.

I bet they make it up tomorrow, though. Corey Oswalt is barely a major league pitcher. The Red Sox bats should feast on him. It could be like taking batting practice. He's shown some flashes here and there and looked pretty good when he first was called up, but the book seems to be out on him now and better teams just tee off on him. I expect tomorrow to be the reverse of tonight.

Sunday should be fun. I can't wait to see how the Mets squander another gem by deGrom.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:07 am

Corey Oswalt is barely a major league pitcher.

William Cuevas is WAY below "barely". :lol:

He's a career minor leaguer they brought up when the rosters expanded. With what the Red Sox charge for tickets, I don't know how you can start a guy like Cuevas and not offer people a refund. And God forbid you bought tickets at 2x face value on StubHub. It's like being served a corndog in place of the Porterhouse steak you ordered and being told that the price remains the same. Only sports fans and junkies can be abused this way.

I fell asleep on my way-too-comfortable couch and woke up in time for the recap. Syndergaard looked liked he had a nasty slider working.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:14 am

His slider is amazing. If he can stay healthy, and learn how to pitch with runners on base, he can be a perennial 20 game winner after he signs a free agent contract elsewhere.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:21 am

Sweet Merciful Jeezus. I can't believe the Mets would solicit fan responses on things that are a "must-do" when attending a Mets game.

Here are a few of my favorites that were posted:

Drink a fifth of vodka before the game to lessen the pain.
Put a paper bag over your head.
Sell your tickets and go to a Yankee game.
Visit the Amway store and sign up 10 of your friends.

Some of the others were more helpful, which is of no interest to me.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:29 am

Wow. The Orioles keep reaching for the stars. They are 43-108 and a mere 60 games behind the Red Sox.

Yes, I have a weird obsession with this. Most notably because the manager of my favorite team burned out his bullpen by early August which extinguished any chance they had at a postseason birth.
41-33.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:03 am

The Orioles wore Braille jerseys.

Considering they play like they are blind, this makes perfect sense.