2018 NFL Season

Crowbar

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Postby Crowbar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 am

Eagles must be suffering from SB hangover or something. They look completely out of sorts.

BW is correct about the NFL being unwatchable. The Eagles-Colts game a few weeks ago was absolutely hideous. You couldn't get excited when a big play happened because you just sat there waiting for a flag to be thrown immediately afterwards. It was painful to watch.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:40 am

Add another vote to comments about officiating making games unwatchable - I watch NFL but I'm not as into NFL as I am college (for obvious reason). I was planning to watch more this year because you have more high profile PSU guys - especially Barkley - but I agree the officiating is harming the flow and continuity of the game and it feels like "everything is penalty" and exciting plays are constantly getting wiped out.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:43 am

You couldn't get excited when a big play happened because you just sat there waiting for a flag to be thrown immediately afterwards.

This. This statement sums up the current version of the NFL perfectly.

Btw, for something really hilarious - the Giants are 1 - 4 and still in the hunt for the NFC East title! That division used to be the cream of the NFL. Now it's the sludge at the bottom of the barrel.
Is it baseball season yet?

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 am

The officiating in the Panthers - Giants game effectively handed the game to the Panthers. The unnecessary roughness penalty on the safety who literally only touched the receiver with 1 hand after another defensive back almost intercepted the ball was one of the most egregious I have ever seen.

I agree. Compare the feel of games on Saturday to Sunday and it isn't even close. The CFB product is so much more entertaining.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 am

Blue&White wrote:[i]Btw, for something really hilarious - the Giants are 1 - 4 and still in the hunt for the NFC East title! That division used to be the cream of the NFL. Now it's the sludge at the bottom of the barrel.

You're being silly :D Giants are a 4 win team but keep the faith ;)

The Eagles will get their act together. The defense is giving up huge plays this year. THey had the Vikes where you want them but gave up big plays on the last drive where the Vikes kicked a FG to go up by 9. All the eagles have to do is get into the playoffs. I think they will win the East. The problem will be that the Eagles will not have homefield advantage in the playoffs and that is huge!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:22 am

In almost any other division the Giants are a 4 win team. But, in the NFC East, they could be a 9 win team. I don't think so, but if their defense and offense can show up for the same game, they could start pulling down some wins.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 am

The NFL is probably going to have to have to start treating the QB using "touch football" rules, i.e. if you touch him, he's sacked. Make it "two-hand" tag. And I'm not being sarcastic. The current rules are ridiculous. You can't hit the QB high. You can't hit the QB low. And if you embrace him and bring him to the ground, you have to somehow not come down on top of him.

I kinda/sorta understand the motivation. An average QB makes 25M a year now. The owners are trying to protect their most expensive assets. But it's detracting from the quality of their product. The sack used to be one of the most exciting plays in football and now you just cringe when it happens as you wait for a flag. They really really need to fix this.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am

I agree. That nonsense that went on with Clay Mathews of the Packers was beyond ridiculous. The 2nd time he went out of his way NOT to fall on the QB and they still threw the flag.

Like I said - the NFL is becoming unwatchable at this point. The problem isn't the 60 seconds that someone takes a knee that no one really notices. The problem is the 60 minutes of play that follows.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Well, it looks like Bdub's hopes of the Gints doing anything this year will be dashed! The Eagles should hammer this team and score at least 30 points. Injuries are a problem but I don't care. We need to win this one. I hope the Eags D crushes Barkley's face this game. I have watched him the last few weeks and he is doing exactly what we all thought he would do- make crazy plays!

Bdub, please don't end your night in the fetal position :D

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:56 pm

watching the eags/gints game and some observations:
1. Eli is terrible and needs to be replaced. I would trade for Tyrod Taylor if I was the Gints.
2. Barkley is a beast, which we knew, but the Gints should have traded that pick for multiple picks. See Hershel walker deal and RGIII deal.
3. Beckham is a chump and I don't understand why he started after the half. I would have told him to put on street clothes because he is done for the night. I am sure the NY media will find out why Beckham cried when walking to the locker room.
4. Great win for the Eagles and they will win the East. The Eagles will make a big trade soon! They just opened up some cap room so they can spend more money this year. Shady :D

Honestly, Saquon is absolutely silly! I loved watching him tonight. I hope he goes to another team because the Gints need a lot of players to get to the next level.