Politics

Crowbar

Re: Politics

Postby Crowbar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Here are my issues with Kaepernick.

1. He wants to be Mr. Political Activist, yet he can't be bothered to vote.

2. Don't know how sincere his protest really was. Initially it seemed more of a hissy fit that he was relegated to second string behind Blaine Gabbert (sp)?

3. He is protesting against a police state here in the US...wearing a t-shirt of the ultimate police stater, Fidel Castro.

4. Most egregious sin...he did it on the anniversary of 9/11.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:22 pm

1. I'm not sure what being a political activist has to do with voting. His choices were Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. He made comments on both of them during the election. I'm not bothered he didn't vote. All the choices really sucked.

2. He cost himself his career. He lost endorsement deals over it. It's cost him a lot of money. Agree or disagree with him, I can't believe anyone really doubts his sincerity.

3. I hadn't noticed the Castro shirt. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But, just for the record, he's not protesting a police state. He's protesting the fact that cops can kill people of color and there are almost never any consequences.

4. I'm not sure why he should have stopped on 9/11. I don't understand what that has to do with anything. He's protesting a domestic issue. I don't get the connection there, sorry.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 am

There is a notion that protesting the anthem is protesting the flag which implies disrespect towards those who have died for the country. I disagree with this idea, but the notion still exists.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 am

I understand the idea that you're somehow insults those who fought for and died for this country. Personally, I think what insults them is the notion that offering a contrary view and protesting what you perceive as injustice is un-American, but I'm happy to let that point go.

I saw this morning that Trump is now in a full heated twitter war with the NFL, the union and various players. His ability to get people to focus on the shiny object instead of the man behind the curtain is incredible. The guy has done almost nothing and the few things has done are at the expense of the people who genuinely support him. And, the media continues to eat it up. We are a nation of suckers.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:08 am

LioninVa wrote:There is a notion that protesting the anthem is protesting the flag which implies disrespect towards those who have died for the country. I disagree with this idea, but the notion still exists.

I agree. I'm military and I get uncomfortable when I hear people bring this up. It almost feels like the armed forces are being used as a pawn in a political debate. And I hate it. If you truly want to dishonor deceased military personnel, use them as props in a political debate like this.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:21 am

Blue&White wrote:1. I'm not sure what being a political activist has to do with voting. His choices were Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. He made comments on both of them during the election. I'm not bothered he didn't vote. All the choices really sucked.

2. He cost himself his career. He lost endorsement deals over it. It's cost him a lot of money. Agree or disagree with him, I can't believe anyone really doubts his sincerity.

3. I hadn't noticed the Castro shirt. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But, just for the record, he's not protesting a police state. He's protesting the fact that cops can kill people of color and there are almost never any consequences.

4. I'm not sure why he should have stopped on 9/11. I don't understand what that has to do with anything. He's protesting a domestic issue. I don't get the connection there, sorry.

I think you make great points.

As far as voting, yes (sadly), Trump and Clinton were the only realistic choices to win. But he could have voted for a third party or wrote a name in (I voted for Gary Johnson). The only way we'll ever get another viable party in power is to vote them in. It won't happen in our lifetime, but I would love for my kids to have a realistic choice outside Demorats and Repugnants.

Castro's police forces used to routinely imprison and torture political dissidents. Sorry, it just rubs me wrong to protest police violence wearing a shirt of a man who wholeheartedly endorsed police violence.

I still think it was wrong to protest on 9/11. We'll have to agree to disagree there. But the NFL could have saved some face too. If they allowed the Cowboys to wear the patches for the cops who were killed in Dallas or let the Titans player (don't remember who it was, sorry) wear the 9/11 tribute cleats they could have said political both sides were represented. Unfortunately the NFL is run by an idiot with no business acumen who couldn't figure out millionaire players protesting on the anniversary of 9/11 would not sit well with many in his customer base.

tempe

Postby tempe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 am

Blue&White wrote:We are a nation of suckers.

A book everyone should read

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:30 am

So, I saw there was a massive kneel-in at the game in London this morning. Hilarious. And what's really funny is all this was kicked off by a guy who goes around wearing a hat that says, literally, America isn't great.

Maybe the NFL players should say they are just trying to Make America Great Again and see how that goes.

Crowbar - I'm aware of what a thug Castro was. I just didn't know he wore a Castro shirt. I agree that doesn't really make sense, but whatever. As for the 9/11 thing, we'll just disagree.

Btw, a rookie catcher for the A's refused to stand for the anthem yesterday. This is going to continue to grow now that Trump decided to wade in to it. Which I think is exactly what he wants. Let people bicker over this and forget everything else he's doing and not doing.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:06 pm

President P.T. Barnum knows exactly what he is doing when he consistently vomits out red meat to his base i.e. the "SOB should be fired" kerfulle. Some might prefer to believe he is just an idiot (he is) who vomits out every thought that pops into his warped brain without thinking or caring about consequences (he does). Others see the master showman, the consummate marketing maven who knows exactly how to appeal to his audience and what the intended effect will be. That effect is a days-long eruption of national media attention that deflects from the fact that he has accomplished nothing while the Mueller investigation circles ever closer to the oval office. I won't kid myself that the Mueller investigation will actually result in an impeachment of the orange buffoon, but I delight in the fact that it drives him absolutely crazy which, apparently, is a very short drive.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 pm

Others see the master showman, the consummate marketing maven who knows exactly how to appeal to his audience and what the intended effect will be.

Count me among the "others". He's not stupid. He knew this was going to erupt into a nonsense media sensation.

Btw, the people I really blame for this stupidity is the media. They never, ever learn.