Random Thoughts

Carl Spackler

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Several years ago an arrogant young lady who defined the word self centered, selfish self interested jerk made some ridiculous comment in front of my wife at work. My wife responded with the comment "there is a time for graciousness in the world". The young lady had to ask her what that word meant, really. This world is full of people just like this young lady, self fulfilling, self interested, selfish jerks who think the world revolved around them and will end if they don't get their way all the time, night and day.

How we got to this point is debatable. I know I grew up in a rural area that was behind the times by a generation or two and I am eternally grateful for that opportunity. I grew up respecting authority, being responsible for my grades and my deportment. If I misbehaved, yes I know its hard to believe guys, I paid the price most times. I never asked my parents to go to school and go to bat for me. I would have been mortified should that have happened and most likely they would have sided with the teacher/principal. I did have some grievances that I should have involved my parents in but as noted it would have been embarrassing to me. Many things done routinely today would have mortified me as a child and still do as I believe they are way out of line but society seems to embrace them. That society wants me to embrace their errors is where I draw the line. Yes, its a free country but I don't have to like what I consider complete error because the Hollywood/media complex throws it in my face constantly and tells me I must embrace it. No I do not embrace it and won't. Many issues are anathema to me and will always be so. Justification doesn't make something correct or acceptable. It's time to put the brakes on the race to morass. Some things are black and white with no middle ground or nuance.

The lack of honor, morality and shame are three areas I believe are completely missing in this society and then I see Saqoun Barkley give his track gold medal to a young girl who missed out on hers due to a timing error. He seems to encompass what I see missing today. I hope his example is embraced by his generation to bring back graciousness to our society. When we as a nation have shame for our misdeeds, not pride we will know error and then develop the honor to correct our course. When we have honor and do the right thing not self justify the wrong thing and when morality based on the guidelines our creator placed before us as a beacon to us we will see a brighter future. I know we can do this because I speak to my children and hear their now adult comments coming back to me in ways I never thought they would, very mature and focused on the right ideals. They give me hope as does Mr. Barkley that there are many good young people n the world waiting their turn to show forth the very ideals broached above. There is hope but it will not be easy to correct our course in the stormy, polarized seas we now traverse.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Just boarded the flight to get home and the guy in front of me should be charged for 3 seats. He's not only spilling over into his neighbor and the aisle but he's spilling over into the person behind him (aka "me").

Thankfully it's not too long a flight. Which is good because this guy has to get home before Han Solo defrosts and escapes.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm

I had that happen to me once on a short (fortunately) flight from SoCal to NoCal. It was a smallish plane with just two seats on either side of the aisle. As soon as I got on the plane, I saw a morbidly obese guy sitting next to my seat and spilling over into it. I turned to the flight attendant discretely and she read my mind before I uttered a word. "Sorry, we're full up", she said, I spent the entire flight awkwardly leaning over into the aisle. Had it been a long flight (and on my nickel), I absolutely would have walked off and demanded a refund.

Hey, I'm not heartless. I know it must suck being him. But there's NO WAY he should have been allowed to purchase a single seat when he clearly required two (at a minimum).

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:34 am

Just spoke to my daughter who works in San Francisco. She said that today is the worst-ever measured air quality day in SF history. People and (schoolkids) are being told to stay inside, don't exercise, etc. The fires are a good 40 miles from her office but are upwind making breathing for several million people a bit problematic. Funny thing, we had decided as a family to spend my wife's birthday in CA wine country next spring but Mr. Procrastinator here was slow on the trigger - and for once it paid off as entire wineries are being reduced to ashes with no end in sight.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 am

I had a similar experience years ago from Kansas City to Reagan Nat. Rotund gentleman in the middle seat and I had the window, no where to go. He had the short arm/large chest syndrome and it was annoying at best BUT as we were coming in on final approach to the airport he awoke and pointed out to me that the view from my window was spectacular, down the Mall toward the Washington Monument, etc. It was.

In a ten minute period we got to know each other and he was a lecturer at KU coming home. Very interesting fellow and it made up for part of the miserable trip. There is some good in bad, occasionally. At least it wasn't a duck in my grill incident. :roll:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

JC

Hope your daughter stays safe. Those fires are horrific. I saw this morning they are moving so quickly the fire fighters can't outrun them anymore.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:14 pm

She'll be fine in the city, and fortunately doesn't suffer from asthma. But this is a monumental disaster for Cali - 3500 bldgs already destroyed in Napa/Sonoma Counties with probably more thousands to come before it's all over, and devastating to a huge economic tourism boom area. I was just reading how housing prices will dive by 15-30% as 1) people's insurance won't cover the entire rebuild costs (i.e., hadn't kept up with housing inflation), 2) building materials will be at a premium on the heels of major hurricanes, and 3) sellers whose houses survived will be selling into a market with destroyed neighborhoods & infrastructure. What a disaster.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm

In happier Cali news, the beautiful people in Hollywood are now eating their own. And it's glorious.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Carl, I don’t know how I missed your comment earlier this week, but that was a great post!

-dad, I have no problem with your joy regarding Hollywood. I am surprised by all the expressions of shock, however. The term “casting couch” has to exist for a reason, doesn’t it?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

I have zero doubt this has been going on since forever.

I find it hilarious because the entertainment industry is the most self-aggrandizing institution in the world. Every awards show (and there is one every other week it seems) involves the the Beautiful People lecturing about how wonderful the world would be if everyone was as virtuous as they are. The city council of Hollywood should consider re-naming the place Douchebag, California.