2017 NFL Football Season

sameoldlama

Re: 2017 NFL Football Season

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 am

Has anyone performed a welfare check of grower?
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:27 am

You read my mind. I was going to suggest someone swing by his house.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:31 am

Probably. That's ok. We handed Brady all his SB losses. That keeps me warm at night. Hopefully it's enough to get me through what is shaping up to be an awful Mets season in 2018.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 am

Many years ago, I worked with an older guy from Michigan. UM. Nice guy. Very bright. He used to tell me stories about Bobby Lane and Joe Schmidt and former Lions glory.

Don't be that guy.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am

Giants won 2 Super Bowls within the last 10 years. I think I can still talk about them without being "that guy". The last time the Lions won a championship the Dodgers hadn't yet played a game in LA. I've got a decade or so before I become "that guy".

I also won't become that guy because I don't care enough anymore. The NFL has lost a lot of its entertainment value to me. It ha been going downhill for years. The game day experience is awful and costs a fortune. This is the first year in close to two decades that I did not attend a single Giants game, and I don't feel like I missed anything. If they were good I probably would have made the trek at least once but I sort of feel like they did me a favor by sucking this year.

The Mets are different. Every Mets fan is "that guy".
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am

I've gotten to the point where I can't sit through a entire single game. Three and a half hours for something that has 60 minutes of play clock time and maybe 40 minutes of actual action. If you like commercials, yellow flags every other play, and waiting after every catch or TD for someone in a booth to confirm it was actually a catch or TD, then it's a great product.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 am

For me to go to a Giants game is a 12 hour affair. No joke. I leave the house around 8:15 AM, meet my friend and his now 90 year old uncle up in Fort Lee at ~10 AM, get to the stadium by 11 because getting my friend's uncle into the stadium is a chore in and of itself. After the game we have to wheel the old guy out of there, get back to our car, get out of the parking lot - now it's like 5:30 or 6 pm, drive back to Fort Lee to my car. And then I have a 90 minute or so drive home. And, I have to go a bit of the way to get home to avoid sitting on stadium traffic. For a 4 PM game, I'm lucky if I get home by 11. It's insane. Night games are completely off the table. I haven't been to one in a number of years because I get home at ~3 AM.

And, you're right about the quality - the reviews and flags are out of control and completely inconsistent. You see flags thrown for no reason at all (you scratch your head even after watching the replay) and you see blatant penalties completely missed. Playing defense is almost against the rules at this point. And the non-stop commercial breaks just kill you. Sitting in the Meadowlands in late November and December and waiting for them to show 10 minutes of commercials at the end of each quarter is painful. Baseball is looking at all kinds of ridiculous ways to cut time out of the game, where as football is happy if it's a 5 hour ordeal.

I doubt the NFL ratings have seriously been impacted by the kneeling. I think the ratings have been dropping because the quality of the product is not nearly what it was even a few years ago. It used to be I never missed an NFL Sunday. Now I doubt all the football I've watched this season adds up to even 4 full games. I doubt I'll even watch the playoffs.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

You see flags thrown for no reason at all (you scratch your head even after watching the replay) and you see blatant penalties completely missed.

I saw a hilarious example of that a few weeks ago. The ref was watching a replay ... over and over and over ... to see if the receiver had "completed the process" of making the reception (just shoot me, already). During the replays, it was obvious that the DB had grabbed and held the receiver by the jersey just prior to the catch, That was missed and not subject to review, of course.

A Total Clown Show.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:26 pm

One of the offshoots of the scandal is that I've lost interest in all pro sports except come playoff time; in other words, if my team's in the playoffs I watch and root. If not, no harm, no foul, I've invested nothing in the team to begin with.

I actually find myself enjoying the machinations of the offseason with the resultant jubilation that 'this year's our year by damn! Ain't no one gonna stop us!!!' only to find out that the team sucked, their first rounder was a bust, and the GM/Coach get canned midseason.

Oh...wait.

:o
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Wentz is done....torn ACL. Grower.....back away from that railing! Foles is more than capable of getting the iggles to the promised land. Hoping it'll be against them stillers.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.