"Duh" too

Blue&White

"Duh" too

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 pm

On the old board I had at one point started a thread about really stupid things. I think we need a thread like this. Here's my first submission: ESPN has pulled broadcaster Robert Lee from covering a UVa home game he was scheduled for because his name is Robert Lee.

It sounds too stupid to be true, and perhaps it's not. But a whole lot of outlets are reporting it. And in case you're wondering what the face of white supremacy looks like, here is:

You've not lost your senses. He actually is Asian.

UFB.

Shane

Re: "Duh" too

Postby Shane » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 am

When my wife told me about this last night I thought it was a joke. Apparently, it is not. Wow.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

My understanding is that Robert Lee is a newcomer to play by play, this is a streamed game rather than broadcast, and they discussed it with him and mutually agreed to reassign the games.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am

People agreeing to do something that is nonsense doesn't make it better. And, he may have felt he had no choice but to agree. Who knows, but the whole thing seems ridiculous.

His name is Robert Lee. I'm sure he's not the only person with that name. Are we going to start firing people or excluding people who have names with negative historical context? It's preposterous.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:13 am

They may have mutually agreed, but it had nothing to do with his being a newcomer or the game being streamed.

"We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name,” ESPN said in a statement. “In that moment it felt right to all parties". -- NY Times

Maybe they should have just let him broadcast the game covered in a black shroud.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:39 am

It's not just Robert Lee, either. It's also his horse

This doesn't sound like anything more than handful of people being ridiculous. What's next, we protest people naming dogs "Spot" because Lady MacBeth said "out, out damn spot!".

I am actually fairly sympathetic to the people protesting the monuments, but BS like this really undermines the legitimate arguments.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

In Baltimore there is a long-time sportscaster named Gerry Sandusky. Now that's a guy I feel bad for.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm

The Lee this is an exaggerated knee jerk reaction, for sure. It was stupid for them to think anything needed to be done, and even stupider for them to react like they have when it became public.

But I guess that shouldn't be as much of a surprise anymore...

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Shore Lion wrote:In Baltimore there is a long-time sportscaster named Gerry Sandusky. Now that's a guy I feel bad for.

Boss: Mr. Sandusky, the reason we called you into the office today....well, it's about your name. We think we need to make a change.

G. Sandusky: Change??? You mean a name change?

Boss: Well, no. We were thinking of something more like a...(boss sighing empathetically)....change in direction. You're fired.

G. Sandusky: But boss, I was gonna change my name, anyway. What do you think of Dirk Digler?

Boss: I think this meeting is over.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:14 pm

They should get Bob Ley to do the broadcast instead.