"Duh" too

psu_dad

Re: "Duh" too

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Sort of a difference.

Not to Britain. Perspective is everything, I suppose. One man's traitor is another man's freedom fighter and vice versa.

Truth be told, I don't have an emotional investment in statues of any kind (I'm not into idolatry), except maybe statues of women with large gazongas, of which there is an acute shortage. And I don't care much about the Confederacy, either, other than it being part of our history. So it stands to reason I'm not going to be showing up at a Confederate statue protest on either side (unless cookies are being served). I just don't understand (1) why 150 years after the fact this is suddenly such a hot issue and (2) how Revolution-era slave owners are exempt from this outrage. Perhaps they're next.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:35 am

Bringing this thread back from the dead for this: Woman calls 911 because whales swim under her boat.

I spotted this story this morning. I asked my wife if she had seen the story or watched the video. She said she had not and I told her not to watch it because it would destroy the final illusions she holds that her fellow human beings are not a bunch of freaking morons.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:25 pm

You should engage my BIL (the one who wants to sail around the world) in a conversation about power boat owners.
He's really fond of them. :lol:
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Remember that story a year or so ago about the woman who's car ran out of gas in Philly and a homeless man gave her his last $20 to fuel up her car? And then she and her husband staretd a GoFundMe campaign to raise money to help the guy out? Sound familiar?

Well, as it turns out .... Ooops.

The really funny part of this is they all would have gotten away with it if the couple hadn't gotten greedy and tried to screw their partner. If they just split the money the way they probably all agreed, it is unlikely the law would have come sniffing around and trying to figure out where the money all went, much less start asking questions about the whole thing. Maybe they get caught anyway because they didn't take Jimmy "the Gent" Conways advice about no big purchases after the score and bought things like a new BMW, but freezing out one of your co-conspirators is a sure fire way to make sure you get caught.

Seriously ... duh!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:24 pm

Remember that story a year or so ago ...

Distinctly, because my wife brought it up at dinner. I hadn't heard about it and she thought it was neat. After listening to her explain what happened, we had the following exchange:

ME: You know they're probably just running a scam to make a score on GoFundMe. Right?
HER: You're such a cynic.
Klaatu barada nikto

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:19 pm

What jackasses.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 am

Engaging a homeless heroin addict as a co-conspirator in your very publicized fraud likely doomed this venture from the start.

My guess is they didn't anticipate the story going and national and generating the donation levels it did. And as B&W stated - when the money got big everyone got greedy and thought they could screw their co-conspirator because they were all partners in the fraud (in theory you normally don't drop dime when your partner in crime rips you off - but then again homeless addicts can be unpredictable).

I know this sounds cold hearted but they should have given him a decent sum of money - he likely would have overdosed and that would have solved their problem. Parsing out the money only ensured he would be back asking for more money - anyone who has know an addict knows giving them just enough money just results in them coming back for more money. You have say no unless you go to rehab (which they couldn't do because he had leverage on them).

Suffice it say they didn't think this thing through and do a thorough risk / contingency planning exercise.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:35 am

Suffice it say they didn't think this thing through and do a thorough risk / contingency planning exercise.

Yes, that would suffice. :D
If you read this, it's pretty obvious these two didn't hook up while they were both employed by NASA. Holy friggin cow.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:51 pm

You'd think "don't tell your friends or talk to your Mom about this" would go without saying and that creating an electronic record via texts and social media post of extravagant spending another fairly easy trap to avoid. Well they should get plenty of time to plan their next caper and a chance to talk to other entrepreneurs on where they went wrong.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:12 am

And I cannot think of more deserving people.