Web-based insurance

psu_dad

Web-based insurance

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 21, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm changing my auto insurance (long story) when my current policy comes up for renewal in July. Does anyone have experience with web-based insurance companies like Progressive or Geico?
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

hbendle

Re: Web-based insurance

Postby hbendle » Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I've done both over the years, as well as an Allstate with agent, and an independent insurance agent now (my neighbor), who beat both Geico and Allstate. Never had any real problem with any of them Re: paying claims. He's a good agent and knew how to get the best coverage without adding lots to the price. If you already know exactly what you want I don't see any downside to shopping online.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 21, 2018 2:58 pm

I went to the Progressive web site to get a price quote. I was surprised at how much info they had access to. Just based on my name and address, they knew what cars I owned, they knew I was currently insured by MetLife and they knew my current coverage. I guess insurance companies share this info?

The price was very good. I was wondering if there was a catch (like terrible claims service).
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Meh. I haven't seen much difference there. If you have a favorite body shop they probably give the best advice as to who is the best to deal with.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I have GEICO for auto insurance and USAA for homeowners. They are both have reasonably priced premiums and I've never really had any bad experiences with either.
41-33.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat May 26, 2018 9:15 am

We had geico years ago while in Hawaii. When we moved to Norfolk and bought a house, we went with USAA for both. Web services weren’t really a factor in the mid nineties, however.