Random Thoughts

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm on the road on business (Florida - lucky me, but getting out tomorrow ) but a friend texted me the Carton story. Unreal. A few thoughts.

1. No way he made $2M. I believe 250k, but not 6 figures.
2. Given that he supposedly did this to cover massive gambling losses, I'd say his net worth is, best case, $0.
3. Dad is right about the implications of a federal indictment. The Feds have over a 90% conviction rate. That's largely because they're pussies who don't bring charges unless it's a near slam dunk. Carton is screwed.

He's got 3 kids at home. I feel bad for them. But, he's a jackass.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Craig Carton has 4 kids, 2 of which suffer from Tourette Syndrome. He formed a charity in 2013 called Tic Toc Stop to raise money for research into the syndrome. Reports out now that he may have looted the charity to cover his gambling losses.

I know gambling can be an addiction, but what a scumbag.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:34 pm

We have discussed suicide before and I am sure we will continue to discuss it. I just found out earlier today that one of my 5 amigos from childhood decided to commit suicide. I cannot imagine him sitting there making that final decision. It eats at me knowing the loneliness he felt in that final hour. I am pissed at him that he didn't pick up the phone and call one of his boys. He had a son and a reason to live. So fucken pissed!!!!!!

Anywho, I was a huge fan of Linkin Park and this was the best explanation I ever heard about mental illness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCpW5g87vHg

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:51 am

Sorry to hear that. I just lost a friend to cancer. It's tough but cancer is easy to understand. Depression is a different animal, though. It's not physical and it seems like something people should be able to shake off. It's not, though. From what I gather it's very real to the people who suffer from it. But, for people left behind I think it's a lot tougher to accept than if it was cancer or a heart attack or something.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 am

I am so sorry to hear this, grower.

Like B&W said, it can be impossible to know what goes on inside of someone who is in that state.

As some of you may remember I am in the Guard and suicide is a very real issue in the military. I know of 3 people who left that way (all Iraq vets). Literally you see them that morning, then they are gone that night leaving the rest of us bewildered, sad, confused, and, yes, angry.

I hope and pray mental illness starts getting treated like any other medical issue instead of being seen as some sort of "weakness."

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend and all his loved ones. I am sorry. :cry:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 am

I've read that military suicides are now near epidemic rates. It's like 25% higher the civilian rate. I think I saw it's like 11 out of 100,000. A lot of these guys were in a combat zone for a long, long time. Longer than any army in modern history. That has to take its toll on you. You probably question decisions you made that resulted in people dying. You probably suffer from survivors guilt. All of that.

Mental illness is a tough thing. Hard to see, hard to diagnose, and hard to treat. You really feel for someone who feels that all they have left is to kill themselves. And, all the judgment that goes on when someone famous, like Chester Bennington or Chris Cornell, does it doesn't help.

Stay strong, Crowbar. If you ever start to feel that way, please call and get help.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:21 am

First off, my deepest sympathies to you, G! This is a difficult thing to deal with, regardless of if there are warning signs or not.

Crowbar, I didn't realize you were in the Guard. I was going to post something similar until I saw your comment. B-Dub is correct with regards to military (active and vet) suicide rates; I think it is something like 22 per day.

Ironically, I suppose, September is National Suicide Awareness and Prevention Month.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Saw that following the hurricane, parts of Puerto Rico may not have power for six months!.

So, basically PR is now in the 19th century. That's just incredible. Really feel for those people.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Not to mention they're in debt up to their eyeballs without a prayer of paying off their creditors because they're been in a recession since forever and have ridiculously high unemployment. They were a complete mess PRIOR to the hurricane.

Some have suggested that, in a perverse way, they may ultimately benefit from the hurricane. FEMA is going to kick in the lion's share to repair decaying (and now destroyed) infrastructure that was never going to be repaired otherwise and they'll be able to put people to work.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Anyone watching The Vietnam War on PBS?? I have seen bits and pieces of it but it's pretty interesting!