Random Thoughts

Shore Lion

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Don't worry. Since it wasn't a Muslim that did this we won't be spending tens of billions of dollars on security that doesn't work and setting up internment camps. But we will "send our thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families" and have to listen to talking heads prattle on about mental health and gun control. And then exactly nothing will happen. It's the American Way.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:48 pm

And then exactly nothing will happen.

The Trump administration has already started with the "now is not the time to discuss gun control" nonsense. It doesn't matter, though. if there was no political will to change anything after the murder of 20 kids at Sandy Hook, there won't be now either. We've already decided, as a society, that as long as the killer isn't Muslim we're willing to accept these types of tragedies. And, if the killer is Muslim, then the solution is obviously to target Muslims.

In other wonderful news, it sounds like Tom Petty just died of a massive heart attack. I saw earlier he was on life support and just now I saw a report that he died. Haven't seen his death confirmed yet, but the initial report did not sound good.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Tom Petty's death has been confirmed. He was pulled off life support after there was no brain function and passed shortly thereafter.

That.
Sucks.

Been an overall awful day from start to finish, starting with the Vegas shootings and right up until now.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 pm

It has been dark, for sure. Time for more heavy hearts and all that without addressing the elephant in the room. Tom Petty (even with conflicting grades) is just the back up in the plumbing. Sorry, I can’t bring myself to use a happier analogy.

But, I did take the day off to watch my son golf the first round of his final high school tournament. He was at an unfamiliar course grouped with two kids who probably shouldn’t have been there. He hits the ball well, but when having to wait for them he loses focus. Ended up 15 over but I bet he does much better tomorrow.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:20 pm

That's great you were able to do that. That's the stuff that matters. And, a day like today really drives that point home.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Apparently there are long lines to donate blood out in Nevada. People want to help. That's encouraging. I sometimes need a reminder that not everyone sucks.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:45 am

Shore Lion wrote:Don't worry. Since it wasn't a Muslim that did this we won't be spending tens of billions of dollars on security that doesn't work and setting up internment camps. But we will "send our thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families" and have to listen to talking heads prattle on about mental health and gun control. And then exactly nothing will happen. It's the American Way.

Beat me to it. Of course the left jumped on this like a duck on a June bug. Red meat for the left. Very sad situation and I hope they can find out what snapped in this guys head to want to murder innocent people in-mass. Whether he used a fire arm or a car or a truck bomb, etc. it is obvious he was deranged. I fear we again will set up some ridiculous system that doesn't address the problem, mental illness.

Not unlike my current situation with the drug fad by our politicians I am set up for failure from the start and the street drug issue that is the real problem is not addressed in any manner but people like me are forced to jump through hoops, treated like criminals (wife was forced to "swear on the bible" that I was a legitimate chronic pain patient when filling a legal, legitimate script from a pain mgt. practice at a local CVS in front of a dozen other people in a public setting). If you ever have to go through something like this you begin to understand our problems with a system that punishes legitimate patients while ignoring the street addicts and street drugs, blaming it ALL on doctors and patients. Easy marks, no support, public prejudice. Same as the gun law issue.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am

Of course the left jumped on this like a duck on a June bug.

This young woman jumped a little too hard and is now seeking employment. Good grief. How is it possible to have the best education money can buy (Penn, Columbia) and yet be stupid enough to flush your career down the toilet on social media? Have college standards been lowered even more than I feared?

PS - I don't think she was fired for thinking like that. I'm sure many of her contemporaries at CBS think like that, She was fired for thinking out loud,

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

I don't know how much, or if at all, college standards have changed. I do think that there is a tremendous lack of common sense, however. Maybe it is the fact that people feel the need to post every thought they have as if it is gospel truth on the internet (I know, that's ironic). I suppose that there is also a perception of anonymity that can give a bravado creating these internet bullies or tough guys that we see in comment posts on damn near every topic. It isn't enough to politely disagree and/or discuss; now we have to call each other names and accuse their side of being the root of all evil.

Typically, I don't wish for people to be fired. That seems harsh. But I was not displeased to point the fact that this lady was fired as a response to someone using her to describe all (pick one or more) college trained liberal democrat media... types.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:09 am

I saw that. If you're going to post something like that, at least make your Facebook page private.

And, I doubt most people at CBS agree with that stance. What she said is extreme. And disgusting. A Bank of America employee was fired a year or two ago for going on a racist tirade on Facebook. It was seen, copied and went viral. BoA received a bunch of complaints about it and the woman was out the door before the day ended. There is no protection for stupid. That lawyer was stupid.