Random Thoughts

Crowbar

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:18 am

What the hell would possess someone to say something like that???

God damn.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 am

And, I doubt most people at CBS agree with that stance.

Perhaps not most, but I don't think it's a rogue point of view in her world. She wasn't posting anonymously. Her first instinct clearly was that her comments were not inappropriate, otherwise she wouldn't have posted them. That suggests to me that many of the "enlightened" people in her circle of acquaintances think that way.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:27 am

I don't know how much, or if at all, college standards have changed.

They have absolutely/positively changed. Reasonable people can disagree on how much, but I interview enough young people and see enough grade transcripts to know that grade inflation is rampant.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:33 am

That suggests to me that many of the "enlightened" people in her circle of acquaintances think that way.

Maybe. I hope you're wrong and she's an anomaly but you may be on to something. That's pretty sad. She doesn't know anything about these people. Who they were, what they believed in, etc. The only thing the vast majority of the population knows about them at this point is that they did not deserve to be shot by some lunatic sitting 30 something stories up in a hotel.

If she worked for me, I'd have fired her too. Not because of public pressure but because you spend so much time at work that I wouldn't want to spend that time with someone so incredibly callous and unfeeling. Screw her.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:07 pm

psu_dad wrote:And, I doubt most people at CBS agree with that stance.
She wasn't posting anonymously. Her first instinct clearly was that her comments were not inappropriate, otherwise she wouldn't have posted them. That suggests to me that many of the "enlightened" people in her circle of acquaintances think that way.

I don't think the thought of anonymity is in the front of the thought process. I think many assume that their stuff is private and, therefore, protected. I don't believe is has to doe with enlightened or anything like that, it is just a false assumption that may people from all cross-sections of life have. But what do I know?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:33 pm

B&W, you are correct, there is no protection from stupid. Stupid is as stupid does.

I suspect strongly that she was echoing what her echo chamber purports but is wise enough not to post on the internet. Her arrogance thinking that her position is main stream likely led to her posting. No reasonable person could agree with her position but unreasonable people agree with almost anything. Our son told me last summer that Trump couldn't win the election because no one he knew in Manhattan would vote for him. I responded by saying don't be so sure. He hasn't yet told me I was correct. This isn't a partisan post but an observation that when you are surrounded by one opinion it doesn't make that opinion correct. I really believe this young lady surrounded herself with those who agree with her position however subtly. We all must be careful not to become so sure of ourselves in our positions when surrounded by agreement.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm

I am certainly no Trump fan. However, since the election it has been nothing but one big, nauseating cry fest from the left and the media in general. I know Obama and GWB had their haters when in office. But this is ridiculous.

It just confirms why I am a proud member of the No Affiliation Party.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm

And I have no sympathy for her self-induced howitzer to the foot because, well...she's a dumbass. And an unemployed dumbass at that. Lots of luck finding that next high-paying executive position. Dumbass.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Carl Spackler wrote:B&W, you are correct, there is no protection from stupid. Stupid is as stupid does.

I suspect strongly that she was echoing what her echo chamber purports but is wise enough not to post on the internet. Her arrogance thinking that her position is main stream likely led to her posting. No reasonable person could agree with her position but unreasonable people agree with almost anything. Our son told me last summer that Trump couldn't win the election because no one he knew in Manhattan would vote for him. I responded by saying don't be so sure. He hasn't yet told me I was correct. This isn't a partisan post but an observation that when you are surrounded by one opinion it doesn't make that opinion correct. I really believe this young lady surrounded herself with those who agree with her position however subtly. We all must be careful not to become so sure of ourselves in our positions when surrounded by agreement.

It's one thing to live inside the echo chamber. It's another thing altogether to be a sociopath who believes the shooting victims don't deserve sympathy because they are/were country music fans. There is something desperately wrong with that woman's thought process. And by the way, my liberal ass loves Johnny Cash...so where would that leave me?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Well this is what happens when reality is fungible and consequences / rewards are delinked from actions / decisions. People start doing some really stupid Emmert.

When people start believing you can wake up each day and decide what gender they want to be and a segment advocates the rest of society MUST go along with your delusions you start thinking reality conforms to you instead of the other way around. When people start promoting accepting morbid obesity as a positive thing you start losing perspective. And when reality and other people don't conform to your delusions you get really mad.

When you go through school always being told you're awesome and having a poor grade or disciplinary action reversed because your parents pitch a fit you start thinking you're right all the time.

When you can't figure out that the NFL office and owners are just being hypocrites when they claim they can't stop players from kneeling during the anthem because it's their constitutional right to freedom of expression (but will fine players if the say the word fag, criticize refs, or do stupid end zone celebrations) and the only reason Nike and Under Armour backs the players is because they built their brand on them and they know their high volume / high profit market idolizes said branded athletes you think you can say whatever you want under the guise of free expression and it won't impact your employment.

When you fail to realize the media is full of Emmert and people in power will extend you patience up until the point dollars start going out of their pocket you fail to act in rational and pragmatic manner.

That and the rise of electronic gadgets and social media have dropped the average persons impulse control to that of a toddler.