Random Thoughts

LioninVa

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:43 am

I'm with ya, _dad! My wife returns to the classroom next week, after 3 or 4 years working with smaller groups of students who were falling behind. She will be teaching 3rd grade math and science. I don't know why they changed the approach to math, but it is different than when I learned. I recall memorizing addition and multiplication tables in the early years but she said they no longer focus on that. I tried to follow along as she was preparing a lesson, but my preconceived notions made it difficult.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:56 am

I don't know why they changed the approach to math ...

Please don't get him started on that. -- Mrs psu_dad

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:57 am

psu_dad wrote:I saw this ridiculous commercial in which some putz insisted that a tablet was indispensable for teaching math to children. Nonsense. All you need is a yardstick ... and the will to use it.

Mrs psu_dad: Thank you, Torquemada.
Me: You're welcome.

Growing up, my best bud attended parochial school through eigth grade. Told tales of the nuns frequently employing a ruler to discipline wayward students. Across the knuckles! Said it hurt like a sumbitch.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:11 am

psu_dad wrote:I don't know why they changed the approach to math ...

Please don't get him started on that. -- Mrs psu_dad

Occasionally, I will accept a math assignment when subbing at the local high school. I was a good student...studied math up to calculus (which, btw, I consider to be a form of torture). I can still function up to algebra II, but the methodology is completely different than what I was taught. In discussing this with one of the teachers, she informed me that she had undergone training for new methodology over summer vacation, and she was still grappling with it. The question then is....why the need to change the way one solves equations when I can arrive at the same solution using the methodogy that I was taught in the dark ages?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 am

Great question, Mad! I don't know the answer but presume (and could very well be wrong) that some has to do with the levels of math that they eventually get to. My dad taught for around 30 years before retiring and decided to substitute for a lady on maternity leave. This was maybe 15 years ago and he had a paper grade book and had no idea how to set up or fill in the spreadsheet the school used. He finished a lesson and told the students to begin the homework in class in case there were questions and was shocked when they all pulled out calculators. My son has a $200 graphic calculator that he needed for one or two of his math classes. I never used them back in the day...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:27 am

Here's my random thought of the day: cancer f*cking sucks.

That's probably my random thought tomorrow, too. And probably for the next few weeks.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 am

It's hard to argue with that, B-Dub.

I hope all is well!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46 am

Everything is just peachy.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm

LioninVa wrote:I'm with ya, _dad! My wife returns to the classroom next week, after 3 or 4 years working with smaller groups of students who were falling behind. She will be teaching 3rd grade math and science. I don't know why they changed the approach to math, but it is different than when I learned. I recall memorizing addition and multiplication tables in the early years but she said they no longer focus on that. I tried to follow along as she was preparing a lesson, but my preconceived notions made it difficult.

Sorry Lion, tell your wife good luck with the year!!! I get to teach 2 classes this year too- Math to my homeroom and Science/SS the whole 5th grade. I am in heaven teaching science and social studies. You guys know I love to be self sufficient and rely on the land. I cannot wait to be able to pass that stuff down to the kids this year and teach them about being a steward of the land!

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Blue&White wrote:Here's my random thought of the day: cancer f*cking sucks.

That's probably my random thought tomorrow, too. And probably for the next few weeks.

Completely agree!! Took my dad in 2002 at the age of 52, my principal last year who was in her mid 50's, and a fellow friend's wife who was in her 30s with 2 daughters. Cancer does not discriminate and it f*cken sucks!! Good luck with everything:(