Random Thoughts

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 am

I doubt you all remember this, but I posted in early December about a good friend of mine who was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. He had no symptoms until he picked up what he thought was a stomach flu in early October. I won't bore you with the details but he had a series of strange, but seemingly mild, symptoms that lead him to a GI and then a colonoscopy where they found a freaking tennis ball sized tumor in his colon. And, further scans confirmed the cancer was everywhere. It had fully metastasized by the time they found it. It was in his liver, his lungs and, worst of all, his lymph systems. Once that happens, there isn't much that can be done, or so I've been reading.

His birthday is in October and he turned 51 a few weeks before the diagnosis. I didn't think he would see 53 but I did think he would see 52. It's not looking likely, though. He had shortness of breath 3 weeks ago and went to the ER. They thought it was pneumonia and admitted him to the hospital. It wasn't pneumonia, though. His body was just shutting down. Chemo had ravaged his body and his liver was now shutting down. His belly was filling up with fluids and everything was just collapsing. He was upbeat when he went in (he's been upbeat all along for the most part - more than I could have been) and was telling us he would be home in a week at the most. But, he just kept getting worse and his condition deteriorated so quickly that it was obvious in a week he wasn't coming out. At one point he needed a machine to help him breath.

The doctors started to spoon feed the obvious to his family last Monday, with them finally telling all that was left wa hospice care last Wednesday afternoon. They moved him in on Thursday morning. Another friend and I flew out to Detroit on Friday morning and went to visit Friday afternoon and into Saturday. He's basically comatose at this point and maybe 2 weeks away. It's been a tough few weeks hearing about my friend dying like this. And, then seeing him and having to face his daughter, brother, sister and girlfriend wasn't easy either, but I'm glad I went and made my goodbyes.

Anyway, here's my point of bringing this up - everyone needs to take cancer prevention seriously. Go the dermatologist and get our skin cancer screenings (another friend did this and they found pre-cancerous cells and were able to remove them). Get a colonoscopy right when you turn 50. Send your wife for breast exams. I hate doing all this stuff but this has been a real wake up call for me. I generally avoid the doctors but I'm going now.

My friend got dealt a bad hand. He was due for a colonoscopy but not really overdue. But, apparently this had been growing inside him for a while. Had he gotten the procedure done 6 months early, maybe the story ends differently, but there is no way to know. But, I'm not messing around with this stuff anyway. He's going from diagnosis to dead in 10 months. Major wake up call to me.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear this BDub. And I can put an exclamation point on your "don't procrastinate" message - had I gone to a dermatologist when I first saw the skin abnormalities I would not have had surgery, radiation, and the crappiest experience of life short of my father dying.

Know two people who had parents that had a persistent cough for six months they chalked up to bronchitis - until they coughed up blood and then found out they had lung cancer. If something is off for longer than normal - especially if you are middle - old age - go get it checked.
Last edited by sameoldlama on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Sorry to hear this, B&W. :(

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Sorry to hear Bdub:(

This summer I decided to grow corn for the first time ever. We needed to freeze a bunch so I figured I could pack the freezer for 3 bucks instead of $80. Saving of 77 dollars- I can use that for golf :D Anywho, my corn really struggled and only grew to about half the size of regular corn. I was wondering if anyone ever grew corn before? I found some earwigs throughout the corn and was wondering if they were the reason I got half a piece of corn and it is a beautiful half piece of corn. The pincher bugs are only at the top of the corn too. Who knows but it is canning and freezing time!!! Winter is coming!

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Going back to B&W's post, everything he said is spot on. What he wrote is eerily similar to a friend of mine I lost to cancer about a month ago. He was just 49. He got a flu shot and developed some odd stomach ailments. He got checked and it was discovered he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He fought a brave 20 month battle, ultimately to succumb to it.

My father also recently had a triple bypass. Thankfully he made exercise an intrigual part of his life. It saved him from a near certain massive heart attack.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 am

I had a brief PM conversation with B-Dub last week. One thing I shared was that I imagine everyone on this board has been impacted in one way or another by it; not that it makes it any easier but you know we can all relate. I lost my mom to lymphoma about 10 years ago and my best friend in the Navy lost his battle with brain cancer a few years later. Both were sudden and pretty quick. On the other hand, my father in law is now 5 years cancer free after being stage 4 pancreatic cancer (that is almost unheard of), so there are improvements every day.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 am

Sadly, those advances won't help my friend. He passed away last night.

Cancer sucks.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:20 am

I am very sorry, B-Dub. I have never met you or your friend, but words simply cannot adequately express my thoughts right now.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am

I'm very sorry for your loss.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 am

So sorry to hear, BDub. I hate this filthy disease. First it steals your health, then your dignity and, finally, your life. It's nearly impossible to escape the experience you, your friend and his family must have endured. Cancer eventually touches us all. I hope that someday medical science will unlock the keys that will finally bring this monster to an end. If I have faith in anything, it is faith that science and technology will solve many of the problems that we face. I doubt, though, it will happen in my rapidly dwindling lifetime. My faith does not extend that far.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.