Random Thoughts

Blue&White

Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 am

So, here is my random thought: Mark having to reboot the entire board means we never ever again have to go back and revisit the whole Sandusky fiasco. So, that's a plus.

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 am

Oh, one other plus. We can post pictures again! Just to celebrate, here's one for Mad.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:28 am

That is one of my favorites. I believe that pic was taken after Sean Spicer delivered the orange buffoon's propaganda folder at 9:32 instead of 9:30 as ordered.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Swiss hotel accused of anti-Semitism over signs singling out Jews

I like how the article is careful to point out they are only "accused" of anti-Semitism. We wouldn't want to jump to any hasty conclusions, now would we?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Israel’s deputy foreign minister, Tzipi Hotovely, described the notices as “an antisemitic act of the worst and ugliest kind”.

Dude. Seriously? You can't think of anything dramatically worse and uglier?

On Tuesday the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, which confronts anti-Semitism and promotes human rights, published a letter asking Switzerland to “close [the] hotel of hate and penalise its management”.

Say what?

[Hotel mangaer Ruth Thomann] told the Blick newspaper that the apartment hotel currently had a lot of Jewish clients, and that other guests had complained that some of them did not shower before using the pool and had asked her to do something. “I wrote something naive on that poster,” she was quoted as saying, admitting that it would have been better simply to address all guests with the same message.

Sweet Merciful Jeezus. Yes. Obviously that would have been better. What you did was clumsy at best and exceedingly rude at worst. Go forth and sin no more. And you may want to peruse the local job listings. You're probably going to get tossed under the bus.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:25 pm

They had this sign written in English in a country where the languages are French and German. It took some effort.

I have no idea what they were thinking exactly but the explanation sounds like a load of bullshit to me. I'm more inclined to think that it's exactly what it looks like, but who knows.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 pm

I might be more inclined to agree if they hadn't already established a substantial Jewish clientele. I presume these people didn't go there because they were previously mistreated. And I generally don't like to automatically ascribe "hatred" to something that can easily be explained by stupidity or insensitivity. That word gets tossed around way WAY too much.

But who knows what was going on in Ms. Thomann's walnut-sized brain.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 pm

They said they had an established Jewish clientele but who knows if that's true. It sounds a bit like when someone starts a sentence with "I'm not racist but ....". Maybe it's true, but I find it hard to believe someone with an established Jewish clientele could be so incredibly stupid. I hope for their sake that it's not true because if that was a good part of their business, they are screwed.

And, I don't ascribe "hatred", but I do ascribe an unforgivable level of ignorance. Stupidity to the point where I don't feel the least bit bad for whatever happens to them. But, like you, I generally am more apt to believe that people are morons vs. bigots. But, reading some comments the last few days has me seriously rethinking that policy.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:01 pm

University of Florida denies white nationalist's request to speak on campus

White nationalist Richard Spencer has been denied a request to rent space at the University of Florida to give a speech next month, according to a school statement.

The "likelihood of violence and potential injury – not the words or ideas – has caused us to take this action" to deny Spencer's request for a Sept. 12 speaking engagement at the Gainesville campus, the school president W. Kent Fuchs said in the statement released today.

I call bullshit. You are a public institution who takes tax payer dollars and who generally rents space out to people to speak. You can't live off the public dollar and then pick and choose who you are letting in based on their ideas. And, you can't hide behind the argument of other people's bad behavior either. Hire some security or tell your students to grow up. And, maybe be an institution of higher learning and use this as a teaching moment. Bring in speakers to counter his rhetoric. You don't defeat scumbags like this by censoring them. They are weeds that thrive in the darkness. You defeat them by shining the cold light of truth on them.

The past few days have been really upsetting on many, many levels. And, this is just a continuation. Shame on UF for this.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:38 pm

You defeat them by shining the cold light of truth on them.

In general, I agree, but I'm not even sure that's necessary. I don't understand why anyone would even brother to show up to protest. If everyone just ignored Spencer's presence, all you'd likely be left with is a small gaggle of pathetic creatures in brown shirts, like the ones in the The Blue Brothers. It would have all the social impact of a crazy homeless guy ranting in the park.