Random Thoughts

sameoldlama

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 am

You can say it is semantics but I would say there's a big difference between laying someone off and firing someone. To me, a layoff implies a business situation (merger, budget, reorg) that implies the employee is not being severed for performance or behavior reasons - that sucks. To me, fired implies it is for cause and you've likely had multiple discussions with the person and with the person and HR prior to the action happening.

First person I fired was gut wrenching when I went through it - and it was for cause and after multiple warnings over variety of behavioral issues not least of which was her behavior towards fellow employees. After it was done you would have think I had dropped into Oz in a house. People who barely knew we were thanking me, employees who were on other end of week's shift were calling HR to ask "is it true". The stress level in my department dropped 50%, absenteeism dropped after the person was terminated. At that point I realized if you have a problem employee that can't be fixed you have an obligation to the rest of your team to get rid of them because they are likely making work miserable for the rest of the team.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:49 am

There is clearly a difference between "fired" and "laid off", but the impact to the person out of a job is the same. And, lay offs are far worse. Firing an employee for cause is one thing. It may not be fun but, ultimately, you know it's the right thing. Firing someone because you are not hitting an artificial cost reduction target and someone has to go is awful. My company has had enough forced reductions the past few years that most of the people we have left are good workers. They contribute and they try to do a good job. Some are better than others, that's the nature of people. But, there were probably ~500 or so people let go across the board yesterday and almost none of those people are people where you felt they deserved to be let go. There are always exceptions, but, generally, this was just a layoff and good people got bad news. It's awful having to do that. I was very fortunate that the one guy I had to let go wanted the package. Made it very easy.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:47 am

Hugh Hefner dead at 91. I bet he died with his boots on, too.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 am

Best comment thus far about Hef: "you can't be sure when you say he's in a better place now".

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

*** NSFW (No one gets hurt but the Vegans toss out a few f-bombs when things don't go as planned)

Vegan protest gone wrong

I need to find out this truck driver's name so I can buy him a beer.

tempe

Postby tempe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:10 pm

too funny! Hard to believe people still eat meat in this day and age.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:39 am

Looks like we have to add Vegas to the travel ban.

Jeez, what a horror show. Just catching up on the news now. Just awful. Over 20 dead and over 100 shot. Ugh. Shooter was killed by the cops. What kind of deranged lunatic does something like this?

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 am

Make that over 50 dead. What a horror show. I can't even imagine.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 am

This is incomprehensible.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:23 pm

58 confirmed dead, over 500 wounded.

Unreal. Or maybe "surreal" is more accurate. What kind if insanity possesses a seemingly otherwise normal person to start shooting at a bunch of people he doesn't know and has no issue with? I agree with Crowbar that it's incomprehensible. Of course, I say that a lot and these things keep happening.