Random Thoughts

Blue&White

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm

I find the whole Harvey Weinstein story to be incredible and disgusting. There's nothing remotely funny about it. And, if he raped someone then he should go to prison. The idea that he gets to leave the country for "rehabilitation is f*cking ridiculous. His passport should be revoked until any and all criminal investigations are concluded. The things he is accused of are not "mistakes". They are crimes.

Man, women really put up with a lot of crap.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Equally incredible and disgusting are the countless people who knew exactly what Weinstein was all about and did/said nothing, The only thing they cared about was their careers. Now that the shit has hit the fan, we're suddenly getting all these expressions of regret. Please. Spare me.

There's also a story circulating that NBC killed an expose of Weinstein some time ago. The president of NBC News isn't denying they killed it, but is claiming that they "didn't feel they had all the elements that they needed to air it”. Give me a friggin break. Like that was your standard during the presidential election.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:11 pm

People worried about their careers is nothing new. We saw elements of that in the Sandusky story too (although it didn't get nearly as much press or acrimony). But, that's not unique to Hollywood.

But, yes, it is appalling that this was a known thing and no one said shit about it. I didn't see that story on NBC but if they really spiked a story about this, they should be ashamed and someone should be fired over that decision.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:31 am

"The Academy finds the conduct described in the allegations against Harvey Weinstein to be repugnant, abhorrent and antithetical to the high standards of the Academy and the creative community it represents." -- The Academy of Motion Pictures.

"We consider the reported alleged behavior completely unacceptable and incompatible with BAFTA's values." -- the British Academy of Film and Television Arts

"We have been dismayed to learn of the accusations of harassment and sexual violence recently levelled against Harvey Weinstein. These actions point to a pattern of behavior that merits only the clearest and most unequivocal condemnation." -- The Festival de Cannes

"I'm shocked ... shocked ... to find that gambling is going on in here! -- Captain Renault

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:55 am

They may not have known.

Look at all the people who swear up and down that not only did Joe have to know about Sandusky but so did the rest of the PSU community. There were obviously people who did know about this because a few of them have come forward to comment on why they shut up, but that is a few people. I'm not willing to paint entire institutions with a single brush because one of their own was a sexual predator.

Ever hear of Jimmy Savile? He did a children's TV show in the UK for years. He was involved in all kinds of charity events and children's organizations. He was a national hero there and was even knighted. And, after he died hundreds of people came forward to say he sexually abused them when they were children. It went on for decades. And, of course, then came the question of how did it happen and who actually knew? Maybe people did, but, based on the Sandusky stuff, they may not have.

Feel free to blame the whole establishment for the crimes of one guy. I'm happy to wait for the facts to come out.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 am

Oh please. The history of the entertainment industry is replete with incidents of sexual predation. And it often doesn't involve only adults.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

Absolutely. There are no shortage of examples of sexual abuse and exploitation in the entertainment industry. It's gone on for a long, long time, too. There were scandals back in the early days of the film industry as well. Some of them pretty disgusting.

That doesn't mean they all know about Harvey Weinstein, though. Sorry, but I refuse to engage in this "collective guilt" narrative. Just hits too close to home.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:20 am

Two epic douchebags, in happier times at Cannes amongst the beautiful people, announcing a deal to make an upcoming anti-Trump documentary. Douchebags making a movie about a douchebag, You can't make this stuff up.

Mrs psu_dad: You're probably enjoying this too much,
Me: Probably.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

Saying "everyone" knew is much different than saying "many" knew. It's a certainty that "enough" knew about Weinstein to conclude that the code of silence was real, and, in some fashion, was enforced (and harshly). I could also imagine that many fairly respectable Hollywood types did what they could to 'not know,' perhaps hearing vague rumors and essentially covering their ears when the gossip was in range.

I'm not sure that the Weinstein and Sandusky situations are really analogous. Weinstein's power in movies/media was huge, and he seemed to focus his nasty desires on adult women, having an unlimited geographical reach. Lots more loose lips in the picture than with...the other guy. It is plausible that Joe and others didn't know what 'the other guy' was up to (still inexcusable, as I think we can all agree), but I see no plausibility that the vast big-money entertainment complex didn't know that Weinstein was a monstrous, creepy criminal.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I think where it is analogous is when you get to the point about making blanket statements about the culpability of large institutions that are comprised of large numbers of people.

Given what has been made public, it seems pretty clear that there were people who knew that Weinstein was a lecherous scumbag. That doesn't mean they knew that he may have raped someone, which is where some of the allegations are going.

He's a major scumbag. It look like some other people were, best case, willing to turn a blind eye. Let's see where the facts lead us. Just because this is a group of people that it's easy and fun to throw spears at doesn't mean we should.