What's left of the 2017 baseball season

PittGradPSUMad

Re: What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:38 am

Sorry, G....any pitcher that intentionally hits a batter in the ribs with a 95 mph fastball needs to receive a message in kind by getting his ass kicked. Anthony Rizzo is going to get hit frequently because he's A) a big sumbitch, and B) crowds the plate. Andrew McCutcheon, on the other hand, is slight of build compared to Rizzo and does not crowd the plate; yet, he's been hit this season more times than any other player last time I looked. Coincidentally (or not), McCutcheon tore it up in June and July. Not for nothing, I will also mention that a cracked rib(s) is one of the more painful injuries I've endured twice in my lifetime.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:10 am

All that being said, I wouldn't mind if they tweaked the HBP rule. The umpire is not supposed to award first base to a batter who is hit by a pitch in the strike zone. Perhaps they could expand that by a few inches.

Derek Jeter, when he wasn't walking on water or turning it into wine, had a habit of "swooping" in on pitches. I saw him get hit on the hand once on a pitch that was a borderline strike. He was awarded 1st base. That shouldn't happen. If you get hit by a pitch that close to the strike zone, that's your fault, not the pitcher's.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am

I believe the rule is that if you get hit in the strike zone then that is on you and you are not awarded first base. It rarely happens and, when it does, it's almost never called that way. I have seen guys get hit while swinging and not be awarded the bag, but I've also seen that go the other way.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:29 am

Batters are also not supposed to be awarded 1st base if they don't make an attempt to get out of the way. I think I've seen that rule applied once in all my years of watching MLB. Don Baylor was a master at getting hit by pitches he could have easily avoided.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:35 am

I think it's a bit like travelling in basketball. Michael Jordan travelled every time he got the ball but no one ever called it. I think how big a star or name you are depends on what is called for and against you. In all sports.

Jeter was never going to get called for leaning in or not avoiding a ball. Never. But some rookie who was called up 2 weeks ago or some journeyman who goes from team to team every year as a 4th or 5th outfielder? You may see a call there.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Funny you mention the influence of star power.

In the late 1960s, Don Drysdale had a ridiculous streak of 58+ consecutive scoreless innings. In the 5th game of that streak, he loaded the bases and then hit a batter on the forearm. The batter started towards first and then the umpire started waving his arms and yelling for him to come back. The umpire ruled that the batter made no attempt to avoid the pitch. After a ginormous argument with the batter and his manager, in which the umpire naturally prevailed, Drysdale got out of the inning and extended the streak

That's the only time I've seen that called,

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Shore Lion wrote:So it's ok to "send a message" and drill a guy in the ribs on purpose? And what exactly is the "message". When should it occur? For what offense? Or just to show the better you can do it? What if one of your beloved Phillies sustains a broken rib? It's ok because the pitcher was just "sending a message"?

The problem is we are living in a 24 hour news cycle. 30 years ago you weren't sure if a guy was drilled on purpose. The pitcher drilled him, lowered his head, and got ready to pitch again. Now you have 6 schmucks in your face after a game asking stupid questions.

As for throwing the bat at the pitcher Dad, feel free to throw the bat by accident:) It slipped, I don't know what to tell you ;)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:Sorry, G....any pitcher that intentionally hits a batter in the ribs with a 95 mph fastball needs to receive a message in kind by getting his ass kicked. Anthony Rizzo is going to get hit frequently because he's A) a big sumbitch, and B) crowds the plate. Andrew McCutcheon, on the other hand, is slight of build compared to Rizzo and does not crowd the plate; yet, he's been hit this season more times than any other player last time I looked. Coincidentally (or not), McCutcheon tore it up in June and July. Not for nothing, I will also mention that a cracked rib(s) is one of the more painful injuries I've endured twice in my lifetime.

I never said the ribs. I said the arse 8-) I will never forget Shane Victorino yelling at a Dodger's pitcher because he knew he was going to get hit but the pitcher went after his head. He started screaming at the pitcher that that is not how it is done. We will all agree do disagree

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 am

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:40 pm

I had Yankees-Indians on in my home office this afternoon. Yankees lose and Herman Munster strikes out to end the game. I love working from home.