What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Blue&White

What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Postby Blue&White » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:51 am

Miami Marlins are being purchased by a group lead by Derek Jeter. Final sale price was $1.2 BILLION.

$1.2 Billion Dollars.

For the Marlins.

I wonder what an actual baseball franchise would sell for?

Blue&White

Re: What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 am

The Mets need to play only the Phillies next year. That seems to be their key to victory.

Went to yesterday's game in CBP. It was a beautiful low 80s degree day, seats in the shade, and an easy Mets victory aided by some incredibly boneheaded base running by the Phillies. Overall, a great day at the ole' ball yard. And, it reminded me that a day spent watching baseball is a day well spent.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 am

The Brain Cancer That Keeps Killing Baseball Players

After Daulton died I was commenting to a friend of mine about how it seems a lot of ball players, and really catchers, die from brain cancer and was wondering if there was some connection. This article doesn't come close to answering the question, probably because no one knows. I think, at this point, there is no known connection and it appears to just be a coincidence, or a random cluster. Some percentage of the male population will develop and die from this type of cancer, and it's probably just a coincidence that a seemingly high percentage of them (in terms of the number of total baseball players and the % of people who will develop the cancer) play baseball. Still, would be interesting if there was some causal connection.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 am

Would it be too much to ask that the Mets beat the Yankees at least once this week? TYVM.

The only good thing about last night was another 9th inning HR messing with Aroldis Chapman's head,

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Tonight the Mets start Gsellman. He's been on the DL since probably late June. He pitched a rehab game or 2 in AA and it didn't go so well. I don't have a lot of high hopes for him pitching well tonight, but I guess you never know.

Tomorrow is Fan Appreciation Day. First 50 fans through the gate each get to pitch to a Yankee batter. And then, when that's over, they are throwing out Steve Matz. Matz is like a box of chocolate this year. The last 2 outings were ok, but the 4 or 5 prior to that he couldn't get out of the 3rd. Given how good he was in the past, I'm sure he's hiding or nursing an injury.

For your sanity, I'd assume the Yankees are just going to sweep and then maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, how about the Triple Play against the Cardinals yesterday. Very impressive.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am

Joey Votto reaches base twice in 20th consecutive game, one game shy of Ted Williams’ record

Votto doesn't get nearly as much attention as he should, probably because he plays for a bad team in a city that most people don't care about. You don't meet a whole lot of random Reds fans outside of their broadcasting area. But, he's having an MVP season. Anytime you're on the verge of breaking a record set by Ted Williams, you have to be getting MVP votes.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am

That triple play was started by the kid (Rafael Devers) the Red Sox brought up to replace Fudgie. He also put a magnificent WTF look on the faces of everyone in Yankee Stadium Sunday night when he took Chapman deep to tie the game in the 9th. The pitch came in at 103 MPH and went out at 105 MPH.

It's WAY early, but so far he's living up to the hype that he's a "can't miss" prospect. And he's only 20 YO.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:48 am

My dad was a Red's fan when I was a kid. Everyone in Erie followed the Pirates but the Big Red Machine was just so good that we followed them. Now that he is retired and can watch more games, he follows Cleveland because they are on tv all the time, but I still like the Reds. Living in Norfolk, I don't get to watch them much unless they are playing the Nat's. I guess that's because they stink.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am

psu_dad wrote:It's WAY early, but so far he's living up to the hype that he's a "can't miss" prospect. And he's only 20 YO.

No such thing as a "can't miss" prospect. The league will adjust. He may go on to a Hall of Fame career but, as you point out, you need a much larger sample size. But, from what I read, he's off to a big start. I'm sure he will have his fits and stops. I think part of it is how he handles that.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am

Did I hear correctly? Did the Mets have to scratch two starters last night because they injured themselves in BP? Is this some sort of sick joke?