What's left of the 2017 baseball season

psu_dad

Re: What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Even though that stadium was still standing in the late 1980s when Major League was filmed, it wasn't used for some reason. They used a couple of exterior shots of it, but they filmed the game scenes at the old Milwaukee County Stadium, which had a similar "old school" look. That place is gone now, also.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:57 pm

A lot of those 2nd and 3rd generation stadiums were absolute dumps. And, the absolute worst was the multi-purpose stadiums that used to host both baseball and football games. Veterans Stadium was a horror show with turf that was known for ending careers. Shea Stadium wasn't quite as bad, but being marginally better than The Vet is a dubious distinction. I was in the old stadium in Pittsburgh in the mid 90s and it was the same awful type of construction. I love the new stadiums that have been built, with a few exceptions. Cingular Field in Chicago was built before teams started to get creative with the ballparks. That thing has no personality. Not a good place to see a game, especially with Wrigley just across town. And, the new Yankee Stadium is really sterile and has no atmosphere. But, Camden Yards, Citizens Bank, Citi Field, etc. all are great places to see a game. I was in Jacobs Field (or whatever it's called these days) around 2002 and that is also a nice park. The stadium in Anaheim is really nice as well. The new Bush Stadium and Tigers stadiums are both really nice and very similar to each other. Detroit doesn't offer many reasons to visit but Comerica Park is one of them.

I need to go see more baseball in more places. A lot of the places I've seen games are gone now. Since I've last been to a Braves game, a Marlins game, a Pirates game or an Astros game they all have new stadiums.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

The stadium in Anaheim is really nice as well.

When I went there several years ago they only charged $8 to park. It was like attending a game on another planet. And I just looked it up. It's still only $10 to park.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm

That comment about pricing reminded me of something:

so, Tampa Bay can't play any home games in Tampa right now, for obvious reasons. Ok, I get that. But, having them play a home game against the Yankees in Citi Field is an absolute joke. Given the state of the playoff race, I'm a bit surprised you didn't rant about that.

The reason your comment on parking reminded me about it was because there was so little interest that they closed off the upper levels of Citifield and tickets behind home plate were selling for like $25. That's not stub hub. Those were gate prices. You are not going to get a better deal than that to see a baseball game in New York in your life.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Given the state of the playoff race, I'm a bit surprised you didn't rant about that.

I've been conditioned by decades of that sort of BS when it comes to the Yankees.

It's not as bad now as it used to be years ago, There was a time when it was a Major Miracle if a close call went your way in Yankee Stadium. That's why the fans at Yankee Stadium went Absolutely Nuts in the 2004 ALCS when ARod was called out for knocking the ball out of Arroyo's hand. Even thought it was obvious what had happened, the fans were conditioned by decades of calls like that going their way and they couldn't deal with it.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Great commentary on those old multi purpose stadiums, B-Dub. Besides Municipal in Cleveland, I have been to Riverfront, Three Rivers, The Vet, old MeadowLands and Joe Robbie (I think) in San Diego. I saw baseball games in the first three and PSU football in all but Cleveland. In fact, I was on the turf as part of the Blue Band in all of them. The turf could not come close to comparing to Beaver Stadium; artificial, hard and slippery. I mean, if the freaking band has to practice pivots beforehand, imagine what it could do to an athlete trying to make a play!

I have not been to an MLB game in many years but want to get to Camden Yards and/or DC soon. The minor league team here in Norfolk, who used to be AAA for the Mets but now belong to the Orioles, have a very nice park. It is like a little Camden Yards and is a great venue to watch a game.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Hey Lion - your dad should be ecstatic about now as the Tribe won their 21st in a row. Former Met Jay Bruce hit a 3 run homerun and that was the difference.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Apparently, they've now restored power in Tampa (or at least to the ballpark) and the Red Sox have to fly down there tomorrow. Yesterday, there were supposedly 500 bazillion people in the Tampa Bay area without power. Now, they're good to go. How convenient.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Blue&White wrote:A lot of those 2nd and 3rd generation stadiums were absolute dumps. And, the aShea Stadium wasn't quite as bad, but being marginally better than The Vet is a dubious distinction.

The Vet was so bad it had a unique charm to it.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 am

I must disagree, Crowbar. The Vet, Three Rivers and Riverfront had all the charm of a wet toilet seat. Good riddance.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.