What's left of the 2017 baseball season

psu_dad

Re: What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 am

... you may never know how he pitches in October.

So far he's 0-1 with an ERA of 12.50. And his battery mates don't exactly evoke memories of Sandy Koufax in October. Price is 2-8 with an ERA of 5.54 and Porcello is 0-3 with an ERA of 5.40.

There is/was ZERO buzz around here for the post-season. The Bruins opener yesterday got more local buzz than the Red Sox game. No one around here gave the Red Sox ANY chance of going deep into the playoffs. Their current team is strictly built for the regular season.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:24 am

That's the thing about baseball. You build a team for the marathon but the post season sprint is a whole different thing. If you don't build for the marathon, you may never get to that sprint. No other sport is really built that way. With football, the advantage usually goes to the team that is the healthiest when December comes around. But, the one-and-done format of football, which is consistent with how it goes the whole season, gives a big advantage to the better team (provided they are healthy). Sure, anything can happen on any given Sunday and we've seen big upsets before. But, usually, the better team, or the healthier team, wins.

Baseball is the opposite. The 2015 Mets won their division but with the overall worst record of any of the post season teams. the Dodgers team they beat in 5 had 92 wins to their 90. the Cubs team they swept had 97. Even the Pirates team that lost the won-and-done wild card had 98 wins. And, the Mets cut through that Cubs team like a hot knife through butter. They were dismantled. The 2015 Mets were built for the sprint with 4 aces going every night and a bunch of middle of the rotation types of guys sitting in the bullpen to help out. They also had the best closer in the game that year (until they got to the Series). But, the Mets were not the best team in the NL that year.

No other sport has that issue but it's part of what makes baseball the game it is. Even before the expanded playoffs, back when there was just the World Series, you sometimes had a team win in a short series that you didn't expect to win. The extended playoffs just made the whole thing more pronounced.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am

Back in July the Mets were looking to trade Jay Bruce. They had a deal with the Yankees on the table but the Yankees ultimately bailed on it. And, part of the reason they wouldn't do the deal was the Mets wanted them to eat the entire contract cost, which was, at that point, like $5M or so. Peanuts to the Yankees. Yankees wouldn't bite, the trade deadline passed and Bruce was still a Met. Bruce passed through waivers (which I also find kind of amazing) and then on August 10th the Mets traded him to Cleveland, who apparently were willing to eat what was left of the contract.

So, Bruce hit a 3 run homerun in the first of last nights Yankees-Indians game and whomever runs the Indians twitter feed started to troll the Yankees about them not being willing to pony up the money for Bruce. I think it's kind of funny that the one time the Yankees make a financial decision not to take a player it bites them in the rump.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 am

Seeing Verlander go 5-0 for 'Stros with around a 1 ERA and win opening game of series just made the Orioles annual dumpster dive for a starter that resulted in a 2-6 / 6.91 ERA Jeremy Hellickson - who joins a dubious roll call of late season acquisitions by the O's GM Duquette that has included a broken down Jim Thome, Bud Norris, Scott Feldman amongst other regrettable "adds".

If they don't get at least two real starting pitchers in off season they need to start the fire sale early next year and start the rebuild.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 am

In fairness, the Astros were probably willing to pony up the money for Verlander because they felt they were one pitcher away from making a serious run at a WS. The Orioles weren't in that position.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Which leads to the question - why weren't the Orioles sellers at the deadline

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't know, but the Orioles don't seem (to me) to be a bad team in need of a total re-build, like the Tigers. They're a team with a decent every-day lineup and a bad pitching staff. I'm not sure what sort of deals the the Orioles could have made at the deadline. They need pitching and the teams that are "buyers" at the deadline usually aren't looking to part with pitching.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:39 pm

Speaking of pitching, the Red Sox seem to have a problem with theirs. Pomeranz already down 2 - 0 in the 1st.

Regarding the O's, I agree with Lama - it makes no sense that they didn't sell at the deadline. Maybe they tried and couldn't find any buyers for their best players? They have some good players on offense, but there are some contracts to deal with there. I bet they could have traded Machado, though. And, it really doesn't make sense to hold on to him. I bet he gets shopped during the offseason.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:00 pm

I got home early from work, the perk of a government gig on a holiday weekend. (Can’t believe Columbus Day is still a holiday, but that’s a topic for next spring when nothing is going on). I have two thoughts thus far. First, I know a lot don’t care for him, but I really enjoy Bob Costas calling baseball. His depth of knowledge, sometimes useless of course, is so deep and he just comes across to me as a guy you want to sit next to at a game. Not that the FS1 guys are bad but they aren’t him. Second, this guy pitching for Houston, Keuchel? Man he takes some time between pitches. I would lose my mind is I was a batter or the home plate umpire.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 pm

When Daisuke Matsuzaka pitched for the Mets a bunch of the players apparently downloaded a translation app so they could figure out how to say "pitch faster!" in Japanese. That guy took like 5 minutes in between pitches. He could throw a 9 inning 1-hitter and the game would still take 4+ hours. Anytime he took the mound, you knew to just settle in. It would have been one thing if he was worth the wait but he really wasn't.

I haven't seen a lot of Keuchel but I don't recall him being all that slow.