What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Blue&White

Re: What's left of the 2017 baseball season

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Rumors swirling here in Chicago that Harper may miss game 4 against the Cubs. Seems he used shampoo without conditioner and his coif is a mess.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:04 pm

I get the impression that Cubs fans are like Red Sox fans, i.e., they were more likable when their teams were perpetual losers.
Yankee fans, on the other hand, are more like the earth's orbit or the lunar tides. You can depend on them. They are eternally insufferable.

Mrs psu_dad: My brother's wife is a Yankee fan.
Me: What's your point?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Don't kid yourself. Red Sox fans were never likeable.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am

Blue&White wrote:Don't kid yourself. Red Sox fans were never likeable.

True that.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

Red Sox fired John Farrell. Wins 93 games and his division, and then out of a job. That's tough.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 am

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

Wins 93 games and his division, and then out of a job. That's tough.

I think the Red Sox have been waiting for a reason to can him after he was caught shtupping that female reporter. I guess two quick exits from the playoffs was enough. He certainly wasn't the main reason for their recent post-season failures, but he wasn't popular enough to survive them.

Not to mention TV ratings and attendance were down this year for the first time since forever. Again, probably not his fault. but someone's head was bound to get chopped off and chopping off Farrell's head isn't going to cause a PR problem around here.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

If that poor guy knew how the next 6 months were going to go he probably wouldn't have been as upset about the train issues on opening day.

As for Farrell, I think firing him shows the difference between the Red Sox and teams like the Mets. The Mets ownership (and really Fred Wilpon) supposedly agonized over the decision to fire Terry Collins. The Red Sox, and probably the Yankees, would have fired him without a 2nd thought. That's the difference between teams that talk about winning and teams that actually win. Since 2004 the Red Sox have been a machine. Yes, not every year has been great, but they are usually in the post season and they have 3 championships in that time period. That's not easy to do. There is a lot of luck in winning multiple short series especially in October. Just ask the Nationals and Dodgers. Case in point - Strasburg says he won't pitch for the Nationals today because of his allergies or something. The story keeps changing but the reality is that they are facing elimination on the road and their best chance of winning that game doesn't feel well and won't pitch today. You can't plan for stuff like that.

I'm not sure firing Farrell is the right decision. Time will tell. But, I wish that I rooted for a team who's front office and ownership were able to put all sentiment behind them and make business decisions when it came to things like retaining managers and GMs. It would also be nice if, when they did decide to let someone go, they didn't feel the need to act like children and bad mouth the guy on his way out the door (and when I say "they" I mean Jeff Wilpon).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:23 am

The Red Sox, and probably the Yankees, would have fired him without a 2nd thought.

There's a lot of things about the current ownership that doesn't thrill me. But one thing I found encouraging early on was how they handled the Grady Little meltdown in game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. That was just a year after the new ownership took over and their reaction was "No, no. no ... this isn't your father's Red Sox ... we're not putting up with that crap any longer." And Little was history.

I thought firing Francona was absolutely the wrong decision. But I don't feel that way about Farrell. He's "just another guy".

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:37 am

Francona seemed to lose that team and I guess they felt they needed a change. Sometimes change is good. Who knows if that was a good one or not, but it sure seemed to work out for the Indians. World Series last year and a real shot this year. All you can really ask for your GM and your manager is to get you to the post season and give you a chance. It's really tough to build a team for a few short series in October. You have to build for the marathon so you are there for the sprint. But, very few teams that show up in October are sprinters. It happens. The 2015 Mets certainly were. And, that carried them through to a pennant but they hit a wall against the Royals.

Regarding managers, there is speculation that if the Yankees don't win it all then Giardi won't be back. If not, I wouldn't be at all upset if the Mets grabbed him. I think he's a better option than Ausmus, who everyone (including the Red Sox from what I'm reading today) seems enamored with.