2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

sameoldlama

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Well I don't know how much more wins he will see but the weather just got a whole lot better.

I looked over the Orioles roster - mainly because I wanted to see who the manager was - I had that scene from Major League going through my head

Who are hell are these guys

I never heard of most of them and the ones I've heard of are past their prime ..... most of these guys never had a prime

I think this one's dead .... then scratch him off the list

They're still shitty

Poor shore
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Maybe Verlander can stop whining now.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 pm

They talk about the owners proven history of colluding, how the media tends to take the side of ownership, and how the owners are making a lot more money and the players are making less ...

A few points:

(1) One year isn't a trend. Yes, in 2018 total MLB payroll was down 0.7% from the previous year. But in 2017 it was up 4.8% from the previous year and in 2016 it was up 3.8% from the previous year. I think the 2018 drop was the result of several teams deciding to rebuild by tanking. That seemed pretty evident right at the start of the season.

(2) Verlander and Wainright whining about guys like Harper and Machado not being signed is pointless. The 10-year contracts that those guys want have consistently proven to be disasters. Most sane people don't blame owners for avoiding them. (I can't believe the Padres haven't learned yet.) If Verlander and Wainright want more parity between revenue growth and payroll, maybe they should be advocating for a higher MLB minimum salary or perhaps higher minor league salaries, not ridiculous 10-year contracts. A higher minimum salary would at least mitigate somewhat the impact of tanking.

(3) The majority of fans don't want to hear MLB players publicly whining about salaries. Nor should they. Not when the worst player on every roster makes 10x what the average American household makes. If you have a legitimate grievance, just STFU and address this with ownership through your union. I don't whine to MLB players about MY salary (like they would give a sh*t).
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Verlander and Wainwright are self serving. Especailly Verlander. And, I agree it's tough to take seriously guys making that much coin. I remember during the 1994 strike I think it was Andy Van Slyke who was the players rep for the Pirates and he was basically comparing the striking players to steel workers who went on strike for better working conditions. As you can imagnie, that did not go over well with the locals.

I do think that the players greed gets overblown when compared to the owners. Yes, one year is not a trend, but, in general, it seems the market is moving south. As to the point that the owners are getting richer and the players are getting poorer - that's the trend with labor all over. I'm not sure why baseball players are special. I wasn't overly moved by the argument about how rich the owenrs are getting.

The two points I thought made in those articles that I thought had real merit (and they may both be in the Deadspin article - need to go back and look now) were:
1. the idea that all owners are trying to win when they clearly are not; and
2. the idea that minor league players are paid so horribly.

The idea that teams that the revenue sharing and TV contracts make crappy teams profitable without even having to care about fielding a winning team is a real problem. That is what's going to kill the game. Not how long a pitcher takes between pitches. That is what Manfred should be focusing on. The Marlins are a disgrace. And, for the most part, so are the Rays. The Pirates onwership should be forced to sell too. That is what is bad for the game.

I also think the union would go a long way towards getting the public on their side if they agreed to include minor league players. But, just complaining that your players can't accumulate more obscene wealth because the owners are hogging it all? There is no way the average person is going to feel remotely sympathetic about that. We all live that life. All of of us, and for a lot less than the Major League minimum.

------
In other important baseball news: former Dodger Don Newcombe died today at the age of 92. Newcombe is best known for being a frequent customer of the liquor store that my best friend's grandfather once owned, back in the day.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm

The idea that teams that the revenue sharing and TV contracts make crappy teams profitable without even having to care about fielding a winning team is a real problem.

I agree. There probably should be a minimum team payroll in baseball. In the unlikely event that a team loses money, then MLB could bring them up to the "break-even" position with a higher-than-normal distribution from the shared revenue. If this persists year-after year, then perhaps it's time for the team (or ownership) to move on.

The NFL has a ginormous amount of shared revenue. But owners can't just pocket this money and under-spend. There's a rule that teams must spend to at least 89% of the salary cap. They don't have to meet this number every single year. But they must average 89% over any given 4-year period.
Klaatu barada nikto

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm

There are too many teams with too many players.

I hope the Phils get Bryce. I always liked that dude even if I would have drilled over 10 times for his game antics. It isn't my money so why not have the guy play for the Fightins! We still need a starting pitcher too. I am optimistic about this year!

Side note, I just went to a parent meeting for my daughter to play 8-u softball. After the meeting I decided to help coach or be an assistant coach. I already bang my head off the wall teaching 10-11 year olds all day so what could possibly go wrong trying to teach 7 and 8 year old girls softball :D

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm

My nephew works for the Phillies and I asked him if he knows anything about Harper. He told me he is making a cake for work. I asked him if he is making a cake for a guy that rhymes with Spice. He said Possibly. Write it down, take a picture, Bryce is on his way to Philly. ;)

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:50 am

Apparently DeGrom is going to limit his pitch count during games. I cannot wait until this scenario happens because Bdubs head will explode.
EX: DeGrom is pitching in the 7th inning of a tight game. He looks up at the scoreboard that shows he's thrown 107 pitches. He gets the 2nd batter out of the inning and starts to walk off the mound. The fans are baffled because it wasn't the 3rd out but the coach knows what is happening. DeGrom is taking himself out of the game because he hit his personal pitch count for the day. At the end of the game the media looks to the GM for some sort of an explanation only to find that the GM used to be DeGrom's agent. Side note: the shit show heads to a new level when Tim Tebow starts the 2019 season in the Mets dugout and pinch hits in the 8th inning only to strike out looking. Reporters want to know why Tebow got in the game. Tebow and the manager shrug off the question so the reporters head to the new GM. Van Wilder responds with a chuckle and the reporters realize the new GM used to be Tim Tebows agent too.

Later that night, the new GM Van Wagenen, raises his Hedonism Quindecimus Whisky glass high in the air while eating dinner with the boys. He thinks to himself, game, set, match!

2 months later the media eats him up and spits him out. Later that night, he raises his Bankers Club whiskey glass high in the air and dumps it on his head.

Enjoy the early season now because I see a shit how on the horizon!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am

What about that cake? Did you save me a piece?
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Sorry, I got lost at the notion that at 107 pitches deGrom would be conidered a "limited" pitch count in today's game. I think if deGrom goes 107 most nights, the Mets will be fine with that.

As for deGrom's comments, it's a negotiating tactic. And, it's one that usually doesn't sit well with fans. In this instance, though, I think most Mets fans are on his side and are perplexed (and annoyed) the Wilpons are not actively wroking on a new contract with him. But, I don't take his comments seriously. If the Mets are in it down the stretch, he's not gonig to pull himself out of games in the 6th inning. Pitching well in the post season is what gets slightly above average pitchers huge contracts. He's not a mediocre pitcher and he's not going to hurt his value by not pitching when it matters.

What he really wants is the Mets to pony up, and I agree with him.
Is it baseball season yet?