2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am

I guess they weren't impressed for some reason.

That wasn't the issue. The issue was he was arbitration eligible and they weren't willing to go to arbitration with him and be stuck paying him the almost $2M he was expected to get. If they could have kept him on a MLB league minimum salary when he was called up they would have been happy to keep him. But, they weren't willing to pay him anything over that.

I haven't read the details on the Red Sox deal but I saw it was a minor league contract with not even an invite to spring training. So, my guess is they can bring him up for the MLB minimum. That's why it's such a good move for the Red Sox. He's really a low risk, high ceiling guy. The only real downside is signing hims to have had a ripple where a lot of his peers are upset. And, I really don't blame them.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 am

I don't blame the players complaining on the principle of the matter. But some are complaining about Mejia being signed before FAs who haven't been signed yet. That makes no sense. Mejia only got signed because he was willing to play for peanuts.

-------------------------

OK ... NOW I remember this guy. He was nabbed for taking Boldenone, an anabolic steroid mostly used on horses. :shock:
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

That makes no sense. Mejia only got signed because he was willing to play for peanuts.

I think that's the point they are upset about. The Red Sox signed him to a minor league contract but that's really temporary. They only signed him because they think he has something left in the tank, they know how good he was before he was banned, and they are hoping to take advantage. So, from the other players perspective, a guy who was caught cheating 3 times has now been able to tank the overall market because he is willing to work for peanuts just to get reinstated. If Meija hadn't been banned and finished his time out with the Mets, assuming he stayed healty, he would now be looking tens of millions over 2 or 3 years.

Forcing the players to comete in the market with Mejia is inherently unfair to the guys who didn't get caught. That's why they are pissed about it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:43 am

Odd decision by the commissioner. He said he re-instated Mejia because he expressed regret at what he had done. Dude. Seriously? Did you expect Mejia to say "I'll be back on the juice 5 minutes after I'm re-instated"?

I suppose it's fortunate he's the commissioner and not working on a parole board somewhere.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Told of girl’s assault at spring training hotel, Gabe Kapler, Dodgers didn’t alert police

This is at least the 2nd time that something ugly about Kapler's time with the Dodgers has come out. But, here's what I do not understand about this story - why did the girl and he grandmother reach out to the Dodgers and not the cops first thing? If you are assaulted by 2 employees of AT&T, do you call AT&T first? My guess is it would never occur to people to do that. So, why do they call sports teams? I don't get that.

It's as odd as McQueary going to Joe with what he say Sandusky doing. And, his dad and their doctor friend advising him to call Joe. How about "hey, maybe that's a story you need to tell the authorities".

Baffling.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:54 pm

This is at least the 2nd time that something ugly about Kapler's time with the Dodgers has come out.

I'd be inclined to give Kapler a pass on the first incident. That involved NIck (son of Terry) Francona. Francona obviously has a major problem with the way MLB handles their association with military veterans. He claims that was the real reason the Dodgers fired him. I suspect Kapler was following orders from above when he fired Francona. Being a good "company man", so to speak. Not laudable, but probably short of "ugly".

Francona was subsequently hired by the Mets and then fired again a year later for the basically the same thing ... publicly criticizing MLB's marketing of Memorial Day.

I'm largely sympathetic to Francona's complaints. But It's a little like taking a job with Nike and then publicly complaining about their exploitation of people in 3rd world countries. Your ass is going to get fired. Francona went to Wharton. Surely he's smart enough to understand that.

-----------------

The other incident is just an enormous Bowl of Sadness.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:58 pm

The other incident is just an enormous Bowl of Sadness.

Yep. And, it sounds like things have not gotten any better for the poor girl.

And I did not recall Francona with the Mets. It doesn't even ring a bell with me after seeing it. I believe you, I just don't remember him being there, much less getting fired.

Edit: Found a link explaining what happened with the Mets.

This was just this past season and I completely missed it. I don't recall him even being hired, much less fired. Btw, I completely agree with his point and I think it's pretty obvious why MLB isn't answering the question of where the money is going. That's pretty despicable. And, this is why it's tough for me to do more than just roll my eyes when people get upset because Kaepernick took a knee. MLB and the NFL are directly profiting off patriotism and the blood of dead and wounded soldiers. But, a guy taking a knee in protest is what's offensive.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:02 pm

This was just this past season and I completely missed it.

It's a total fluke that I knew about it. The local night-time sports radio guy apparently has a bug up his butt about this issue. He interviewed Francona after the Mets fired him. Had I not been in my car that evening with the radio on, I probably would have never known. Obviously it got some coverage if you found a newspaper article, but I don't recall it being a big story.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Gake Kapler responds.

I feel bad for Kapler. He's been thrown under the bus here and I can't figure out what he supposedly did wrong. That the girl was 17 when all this happened is really awful, but Kapler was in touch with an adult in the girl's family - her grandmother. And, I think the first article said, or at least implied, the grandmother was her guardian at the time. He spoke to the Dodgers legal and HRs teams and it's not like he had standing to call the police on the girl's behalf. Maybe he should have done it anyway, I don't know, but it sounds like he got legal advice and did what the lawyers told him.

I have zero interest or care in what happens to Gabe Kapler but I think this entire story was really unfair to him.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:22 pm

It seems like Kapler had no clue that the girl was sexually assaulted. The only illegal part is distributing alcohol to a minor which could lead to corruption of minor. The other disturbing part of the story is that this was possible part of human trafficking. I know PA is trying to take huge strides to disrupt trafficking in the state. I have a feeling this is why the girl did not want to go to the police but that is only my opinion. Sad story!