2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:41 pm

The other disturbing part of the story is that this was possible part of human trafficking.

How do you figure? I didn't get that from the story at all.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:36 pm

I feel bad for Kapler. He's been thrown under the bus here and I can't figure out what he supposedly did wrong.

This is "journalism" in the 21st century. You don't have to prove he did anything wrong. If you can somehow associate him with a sordid incident, that's enough. You can turn his life upside down. This is my favorite line from the WaPo article: The Washington Post is not naming the player because he was never charged with a crime.

Uhh ... neither was Kapler and his name is in the story headline in ginormous type.
Fire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Blue&White wrote:The other disturbing part of the story is that this was possible part of human trafficking.

How do you figure? I didn't get that from the story at all.

It was stated in the article. Police thought she might be part of sex trafficking.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 am

Oh. I did miss that and was wondering where you came up with the idea.

The whole incident is just disturbing and it seems there is a lot of fault to go around. I just don't get why Gabe Kapler has his name plastered all over WaPo.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Trucks are starting to pull out of MLB parks and head toward spring training. They pulled out of Citi Field earlier today. And today was "Truck Day" for the Red Sox too.

I never knew "Truck Day" was a thing until I heard of the Red Sox fans making a thing out of it, but it seems now a lot of teams make a deal of this. Whatever. I'm just glad that baseball is coming.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 am

Things are not getting better for Gabe Kapler. There was another incident the same year as the the first one. A minor league player from the Domincan Republic sexually assaulted a house keeper at a Hamton Inn. The manager wrote Kapler (who was in charge of the minor league system at the time) and he said he would take care of it. The Dodgers sent the player back to the DR and cut him, but never told MLB (not clear if there was a policy that required them to). There are apparently a number of emails documenting all this and the Dodgers never questioned the woman's credibility or her account. They seemed to fully believe she was assaulted and dumped the player. They just didn't tell anyone. Anyway, this is being presented as another strike against Kapler.

Here's my problem with all of this - Kapler had the job of managing the minor league players. HE was not the President of Dealign with Criminal Activity. In both instances, the evidence that has been made public is he notified the Dodgers management, including their HR and legal staff. What else was he supposed to do? And, why is it his personal responsbility to notify the police and report crimes that he has not witnessed and is hearing about 3rd hand? Why is he at fault for that? I really don't get it.

The problem here is Gabe Kapler is now the biggest name in this whole sordid series of events. So, that makes him the lightening rod. Maybe he deserves some level of blame, I dont' know. But, from what I've read I don't see what he did wrong and it is completely unfair to tarnish his name and leave the rest of the Dodgers staff as anonymous, unknown people who go about their lives. He reported this to his legal departmnet and his HR department. These people are presumably experts in this area. His job was to focus on baseball, not rape.

I'm not going to say "I don't get it" because I do get it. I just don't think it's right. And, I could care less about Gabe Kapler.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:49 am

A minor league player from the Domincan Republic sexually assaulted a house keeper at a Hamton Inn. The manager wrote Kapler (who was in charge of the minor league system at the time) and he said he would take care of it.

The manager of the hotel contacted Kapler. Not the police. Interesting.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:01 am

It's not clear to me if the police were called on that incident. Why wouldn't you call the cops? Why would you call the Dodgers?

In retrospect, the actions of Mike McQueary seem more reasonable given that not calling the police seems to be a normal human reaceteion. I don't get it, but it seems Red was not in anyway unique.

The problem is when reach out to an entity that is not responsible or authorized to deal with criminal matters, you are not likely to get a satisfactory result. Especially when that entity may have an interest in keeping the whole thing low key and making it go away. But, that being said, I'm still at a loss to understand what else the guy in charge of Minor League Player Development was supposed to do here.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am

I don't get it, but it seems Red was not in anyway unique.

McQ was trying to avoid getting involved. I suspect the hotel manager was trying to avoid getting the police involved.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am

I don't know that I agree with your assessment on Red. And, why would the manager want to avoid getting the police involved? What's it to him? Unless maybe the maid was here illegally, why would he care? And, why would she not go to the cops herself?
Baseball season!!!!