2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

PSUgrower

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:35 pm

psu_dad wrote:Turns out it's not just Philly fans who don't know how to win with class.

There were an estimated 1M in attendance. In any large American crowd, you have to (conservatively) expect a minimum of 1% Total Assholes. In a crowd of 1M, that's 10K Total Assholes. There were 6 arrests (total), All but one of the arrested were teenagers, the Poop-for-Brains demographic.

I wasn't there, but it sounds pretty tame. I don't know how well the horse poop concessions did.

I remember Dad making comments about the crazy Philly people. We party and get crazy but we know how to hold a trophy and throw beer accurately over long distances

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:41 pm

psu_dad wrote:Turns out it's not just Philly fans who don't know how to win with class.

There were an estimated 1M in attendance. In any large American crowd, you have to (conservatively) expect a minimum of 1% Total Assholes. In a crowd of 1M, that's 10K Total Assholes. There were 6 arrests (total), All but one of the arrested were teenagers, the Poop-for-Brains demographic.

I wasn't there, but it sounds pretty tame. I don't know how well the horse poop concessions did.

Sorry, that's not how it works. The way it works is that once one asshole makes the news for being an asshole he is automatically representative of everyone who was there.

Or have you not been paying attention the last few years.

Grower - :lol:
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm

The way it works is that once one asshole makes the news for being an asshole he is automatically representative of everyone who was there.

It's a good thing Albert DeSalvo didn't show up.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Or Ted Bundy.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:39 pm

I will give you $39 to eat some horse poop Dad?? 1 more dollar than all the guys in Boston who decided to eat it

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 am

Apparently Red Sox consultant Bill James, who is the father of the modern sabremetetrics movemenet, committed the sin of saying that baseball players are mere human beings who are <gasp> replaceable. What followed was nothing short of hilarious.

The upsetting part of that, to me, is that he felt that he had something to apologize for. But, my guess is the Red Sox pay him pretty well, he wants to keep that job, and they were probably more upset about the position he put them in vs. what he actually said, and he felt he had to apologize to keep his pay check coming in. I get that, but the whole thing is moronic.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

This was the Red Sox response.

“Bill James is a consultant to the Red Sox. He is not an employee, nor does he speak for the club. His comments on Twitter were inappropriate and do not reflect the opinions of the Red Sox front office or its ownership group. Our Championships would not have been possible without our incredibly talented players — they are the backbone of our franchise and our industry. To insinuate otherwise is absurd.”

Duh. Of course it takes talented players to win a championship. James never "insinuated" that it didn't. But the talented Red Sox players who won the WS in 2004 were not the same as the talented Red Sox players who won the WS in 2018. So it stands to reason that no specific collection of talented players is indispensable. As they fade away, more will come along and the game will endure. Baseball didn't fade away when Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams retired and it's not going to fade away 15 years from now when Mookie Betts and Mike Trout retire.

This is what James was tying to convey. It's not only correct, it's obviously and indisputably correct. James is sometimes too blunt for his own good and doesn't do always do a good job of expressing himself. He now says (1) he was misunderstood and (2) it's his fault because, as a writer, it's his job is to make himself understood. I think he's right on both counts.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:34 pm

He's conceptually right but I don't think he's right in this instance because I don't believe he was misunderstood. I think he was deliberately mischaracterized by the union and the Red Sox are either morons or (more likely) decided it was easier to distance themselves than piss off the union right before they have to start looking at free agents.

James was a gentleman about it, and I suspect that was partly to preserve his pay check but his fundamental point wasn't anything close to what the union was bitching about. They are just protecting their own interests and don't want anyone saying anything that causes people to question salaries (which is not what James was doing, but it probably hit too close for their comfort).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

James is not without some blame. I think his fundamental point was correct, but it was totally unnecessary to add the snarky comment "The players are NOT the game, any more than the beer vendors are.”

That was stupid. The game doesn't need any specific players to survive. They can all be replaced as they have been over the decades. But the game does need a steady supply of talented players to thrive. Beer vendors are another matter entirely. Your average knucklehead teenager will do. That was a bad and needless analogy.

That said, you're probably right about the union deliberately mis-representing what he said.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am

Ronald Acuna Jr. and Shohei Ohtani win Rookie of the Year honors.