2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

PittGradPSUMad

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Blue&White wrote:I wasn't making an argument. Just summarzing. And, what fact is wrong there? I admit the description was a bit colorful, but what is factually wrong?

You forgot to mention he has cooties.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Really? Less of an offense? Are you talking legally or morally?

Legally. What Richardson did was civilly actionable but no one was arrested or charged with anything. I think it's easier to be dismissive of something that did not result in an arrest. Well, maybe it was easier. Thinking about it, I'm not so sure that is true anymore. And, as a concept, I'm also ok with people paying for and selling sex, too. I'm not in any way morally offended by it. I just think that, in most instances, you're not dealing with women (and I suppose men, too) who are really willing participants in the transaction. Lama made the point earlier about legalizing it like in Nevada and imposing some standards of safety and regulation to protect the workers. I'm fine with that. But, that is not the norm.

As for what should be done by the NFL, there is no right answer. This is all just PR for the NFL. They're not legally obligated to do squat. They're not even legally obligated to be consistent in how they manage their PR and administer "punishment". Either way, I'm sure they'll screw it up because their commissioner is a complete idiot.

I generally agree with that. The one point I disagree with is the comment about this being all PR. PR, to me at least, presumes they are trying to benefit from this. I think they would rather not be bothered having to deal with it. They got bad PR when they had players involved in domestic abuse and other issues and they didn't take any action. But, I think it got a lot worse for them once they did wade in because it's been done without any consistency and they look like schmucks. I agree with your point they have no obligation to do squat, but if they are going to do something it sort of behooves them to do something that doesn't make them look like total schmucks. And, they have failed at that pretty much every single time.

Btw, my point about Richardson vs. Kraft was more that it's going to be a lot tougher to make Bob Kraft sell his team. I can't believe he just rolls over. I doubt the NFL even tries that with him. I suspect he gets some fine, some suspension from attending games for a month or so, and that's the end of it.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:19 pm

I suspect there's no way that Kraft sells this team without a serious legal fight. I think he genuinely loves this team and takes enormous pride in it. He probably wants to keep in the family, as the Maras did. His son Jonathan is the team president. And he's not some 30-something knucklehead. He's 55 with an MBA from Harvard. He's also president of the The Kraft Group LLC, which owns several companies (including the Patriots).

Since 97% of NFL fans hate the Patriots, Goodell can't go wrong punishing the Patriots, even if Kraft is somehow acquitted. Based on what we know now, If it involves more than a fine and short suspension, things could get interesting.
Klaatu barada nikto

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 pm

You forgot to mention he has cooties.

You're just jealous because he's probably going to win an AVN award for "Best Old Guy Boner".
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Back to baseball, I was looking at some spring training box scores earlier and it looks like Meija is off to a good spring for the Sawx. Tough to take a whole lot from spring games, but he may turn out to be a steal for them if he gets called up during the season. Hopefully he can refrain from taking horse steroids, or whatever, until then.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 pm

I saw him strike out the side in the 9th In a game last week. Nasty slider.
Klaatu barada nikto

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 pm

psu_dad wrote:You forgot to mention he has cooties.

You're just jealous because he's probably going to win an AVN award for "Best Old Guy Boner".

I've been outed. Okay, I'll admit that I envy old guys that get...and keep....a boner without boner pills.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:08 pm

psu_dad wrote:I saw him strike out the side in the 9th In a game last week. Nasty slider.

He's got a live arm. Good speed, changes speeds and can hit the corners. At least, he could when I law saw him. The problem is that no matter how quicky he drinks the frozen slushee, he's never to feel a thing.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Blue&White wrote:Giants CEO takes leave of absence after filmed physically attacking his wife

The article uses the word "altercation" instead of "attack" but, jeez, that looks like an attack to me.

Here is my favorite part of the article:

"Mr. Baer has acknowledged that his behavior was unacceptable, apologized to the organization and is committed to taking steps to make sure that this never happens again," the statement said.

I like that, taking steps. Here's an idea. Step 1- don't assault your wife. See how easy that was? I love how these guys are always undergoing a process to stop doing whate most human beings inherently know is wrong and manage to get through the day without doing.

As a side note, it's interesting that he admits it. Bob Kraft is apparently on film with a Chinese hooker and is still claiming it never happened. I guess the difference is that the Kraft tape has not yet been released and the one of Baer is out there in the public eye. Hard to pretend that didnt' happen.

I wonder what happens now. Does MLB force him to sell the team? Or is he just suspended? I'm actually curious about that for both him and how the NFL handles Kraft. You have two successful owners (the Giants haven't been great lately but they won the World Series 2010, 2012 and 2014. Hard to not call that a success. And, there is no disputing what the Patriots have done since Kraft bought the team. So, now what?

Blah, blah, blah!! This man is a dbag and he basically got caught. God only knows what has gone on behind closed doors. Charge him with domestic violence and let the judicial system and baseball take care of the consequences for him (which will be nothing). Time will continue to tick away and people will forget what this guy did.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:03 am

Apologize for melding together multiple threads but

1. Air travel yesterday wasn't bad - minor flight delays but no real issues
2. No I did not witness the sexcapades B&W seems to enjoy each trip - maybe I need to start taking Hooters Air too (I didn't know they had started back up)
3. American Airlines doesn't have pineapple juice
4. Yes the creepy Charlotte airport bathroom attendant picked me out to ensure I picked an open urinal and then realized it was the sink where you go to wash your hands.
5. My patience and natural affable nature finally paid off - went for my PZA meatballs in Charlotte - and they were out - so tey told me 5-7 minutes - 4 times. When I finally got them they hooked me up with a second order free. That was a socre!
6. Upgraded to an SUV at Avis - another score!
7. Nashville has had some severe rains so I was worried about my hotel dumpster kitties - but when I pulled in with a can of tuna yesterday I did see two of them - trifecta
8. I'll see my boss today - who has seen Kimbrel in the area - so we will probably stake out Uncle Sunny's BBQ or Bocelli's for lunch and if we have to maybe offer him membership to the exclusive Gasoline Alley.
9. dad - clam chowder ain't going to do it - I don't like it. Given my brother and nephew are lifelong Boston fans I'd like the Collector's Boston Heroes (Bird, Yaz, Brady, Orr) Garden Gnome set
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall