2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am

2. No I did not witness the sexcapades B&W seems to enjoy each trip - maybe I need to start taking Hooters Air too (I didn't know they had started back up)

~25 years of business travel and the only time I've seen anything like that was the past 2 trips. I must just live right, I guess.
Is it baseball season yet?

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 am

PSUgrower wrote:13 years?!?!?!?!? I see another Ryan Howard! I wonder if this is Phillies new philosophy. Pay dumb ass contract and win games for 7 years. Then shit the bed and pay the rest of the money on shitty contracts all the while losing to get your picks. Rinse and repeat in 10 years. Not a fan of this contract but I am going to like his swag!

Also, Bobby Bonilla says hi.
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:09 am

3. American Airlines doesn't have pineapple juice

It never occurred to me to ask the first few times I flew JetBlue. When I noticed it in their brochure of snacks and beverages, I got a little pup tent in my pants. I love pineapple juice.

Low fares to Philly and pineapple juice. As flying goes, I love JetBlue.

------------------------
PS - The chowdah wasn't for you. It was for Kimbrel.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:19 pm

So, I messed up by starting the countdown with Willie Mays as there were 24 days until the opener, which means I should have started with 23 (so the day before was 1). So, correcting that now and starting with dad's all time favorite Mets UT, from the 1986, team:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm

33 years. Wow. Your entire adulthood. That must suck.

It really is astonishing how the present Red Sox ownership changed the Red Sox culture. When you mention "Bill Buckner" to present-day fans like my sons, they look at you like you're a senile old guy talking about Honus Wagner. All they've known is winning the WS four times.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Yep, 33 years. The only thing that has kept me going is 4 Giants Super Bowl wins since then, and even those are getting pretty stale.

As for the culture, it's amazing how much the Wilpons have just ruined the Mets. Periodically there is a story in the paper about how the Yankees spend some money and Fred Wilpon explains to everyone in the Mets front office how the Yankee model isn't sustainable and any day they are going to come crashing back down to Earth. I know it's been 10 years since the Yankees won the World Series, but they are consistently competitive. I think as an owner and a fan, all you can ask for is a team that plays in October. The playoffs are really a crap shoot to some extent. Sometimes the best teams wins and sometims it doesn't. But, you have to get there. The Yankees always start the season with a real chance to play in October. The Mets rarely do. It's very frustrating.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:33 am

The Giants' Board of Directors issued a statement on their team president:

Mr. Baer has acknowledged his behavior was unacceptable, apologized to the organization and is committed to taking steps to make sure that this never happens again, He has also requested, and the Board has accepted, his request to take personal time away from the Giants beginning today.

In his absence, renown baseball expert Tobias Tuttle (AKA psu_dad) will take his place.

I made up the last part.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:13 am

I'm with Grower - he's sorry that this time he got caught on camera. What are the odds that the one time he physically grabbed and dragged his wife was when there happened to be someone with a camera? I suppose it's possible that was the only time, but if I was going to put money, I'd take the over on that bet.

And, as for this BS about taking steps, I'm going to repeat what I said initially:

Step 1: don't physically assault your wife

That's it. That's all the steps you need.

I've been married for over 21 years and been with my wife for 23, and in all that time I have never once even come close to assaulting my wife. Sure, I've been angry at her, and she at me, but I've never had a physical altercation with her. I've never even thought about it. It's never been a consideration.

I have a really low threshold for people that physically abuse those that are not as strong as them. PIcking on someone who doesn't really have a fighting chance is about as cowardly, and as low, as you can go in my mind. People who abuse women, abuse children and abuse animals deserve whatever they get in my mind.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 am

Oh, almost forgot:

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 am

I suppose it's possible that was the only time, but if I was going to put money, I'd take the over on that bet.

That statement by the Giants BOD fell short of "we absolutely want him back". They seem to be leaving their options open. If it comes out that Baer has been doing this for years, his status could change. I'm guessing it will DEFINITELY change if his wife speaks out against him. I'm sure the BOD wants no part of that sort of PR nightmare.
Klaatu barada nikto