2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby psu_dad » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:58 pm

The Yankees lost their mind signing Ellsbury to that contract. It's like they didn't follow his career. He was a good CF. No arm, but he covered a lot of ground. And he was a .290 hitter. But he was as fragile as an egg. In the 6 years he started for the Red Sox, he only averaged 112 games a year due to injury. And now he's averaged 104 games a year due to injury and hit .260 with the Yankees.

They've paid him 105M so far for one decent season and they owe him another 47M (minimum). I hope he sends his agent a Christmas card every year.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:19 am

One more reason I miss appoo - we can't give him a hard time over his steadfast defense of both the Ellsbury and Cano deals.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:48 am

Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Rumors that the Mets are close to a deal for Cano. The current rumor has the Mets getting Cano and Mariners all-star closer Edwin Díaz. In return, the Mets will give up Jay Bruce and minor leaguers Justin Dunn (pitcher) and Jarred Kelenic (OF). The Mets would also get some money.

I hope this is a totally baseless rumor or the Mets new GM just messing the the media and there is not any truth to it because this is just too stupid to comment on. Dunn and Jarred Kelenic are former first round picks and top 100 prospects. Klenic was their 1st rounder last year and, while it is very dificult to project for kids coming out of high school, he looks like the real deal. This deal, if true, is basically two deals:

Bruce for Cano - this is somewhat defensible but I don't like it. Bruce is owed 2 years and $26M. Cano is owed 5 years and $120M AND is coming off a PED suspension.

Diaz for the 2 prospects - I know that prospects flame out but two top 100 former 1st rounders for a closer seems a tad high. The only thing that makes that palatable is I believe the Mets would get 3 years of control on Diaz.

It depends on how much of Cano's contract they need to absorb, I guess, but I'm really not a fan of having Cano during the decline. Unless they can get him for about what they are going to pay Bruce anyway I don't like it.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Unless they can get him for about what they are going to pay Bruce anyway I don't like it.

I can't imagine Seattle would be willing to eat 90M+ of Cano's contract. May as well just eat the whole thing and keep him. But who knows.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:06 pm

I can't imagine it either. That's why I think this deal sucks.

The nub of it, for me, is I don't want Cano. He's a headcase to begin with, he was known to be a guy who doesn't give 100% all the time when he was with the Yankees, and he's about to enter the downside of his career. Why would you take that on? Because you want to win now? It would be one thing if there was adequate reason to believe he can help you win now. but, he is coming off a PED suspension so who really knows what he has left in the tank. And, if he sucks he's going to be a major albatros on the 25 man roster AND the payroll. The Mets will use him as an excuse for not making any other moves for the next 5 years. This is Roberto Alomar all over again. They traded for him in the twighlight of his career and then were shocked when he played like a guy in the twilight of his career.

It is possible that they actually do this and get a few really great years out of him. That certainly is not beyond the realm of possibility. At this point, Cano is really a box of chocolates. But, in my mind, a deal working out positively for Cano is almost the worst possible outcome because it will convince the new GM that he is smart and not lucky, and will be inclined to do even dumber things in the future.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm

FWIW ... the local sports radio knuckleheads are claiming the Red Sox are looking into acquiring Cano. Not so much because they want Cano, but because they expect Diaz to be thrown in. And they would be willing to eat much of Cano's contract to get him. Their current close (Kimbrel) is a FA and apparently wants more $$$ than the Red Sox think he's worth, whereas Diaz is under team control for a few more years.

This would just be a money deal, i,e, you send us Cano and Diaz and in return we eat most of Cano's contract, The Red Sox don't want to throw in prospects. They don't have an abundance of them right now. Money, they have.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Quit fighting it B&W - hop on that bandwagon - it has champagne to drink instead of tears
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 pm

FWIW ... the local sports radio knuckleheads are claiming the Red Sox are looking into acquiring Cano.

I love every single thing about this idea. All of it. Man, I hope that is true. Nothing would make me happier than to wake up one morning and find out that some baseball team did something stupid and it wasn't the Mets.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Don't get your hopes up. The sports radio knuckleheads here are wrong about 99% of the time. They exist just to make noise for 4 hours each day. Two guys making fart noises with their armpits would be just as useful.
Klaatu barada nikto