2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Too late! Cano to the Red Sox. It's now officially a "thing".
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:11 pm

To be honest, it makes no sense. Over the next few years the Red Sox will have several guys turn FA-eligible and want to be paid. Porcello, Sale and Bogaerts are all FAs in 2020. Then Betts in 2021. He's going to want a Gazillion dollars. I suppose they could have decided "Damn the torpedoes. We're going to try to win one more WS in the next couple of years and then worry about who we can keep and who we can't". Who knows.

It's probably academic. The Mets deal is probably a mortal lock.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 pm

I did not realize this before you know who the agent was that negotiated Cano's contract with Seattle? Brodie Van Wagenen. If that name sounds familiar it's because he is the Mets new GM. I don't think he will survive to spring training if he does a shitty deal to get back his former client.

Anyway, I can't see how this happens. I was just reading that the deal with the Yankees for Ellsbury fell apart because the Yankees wanted the Mariners to basically turn Cano into a $10M/year player for them, and they told the Yankees to drop dead. The delta between Bruce and Cano is $92M. Asking the Mariners to throw in their all star, under control for 3 years closer and bridge some semblance of that $92M gap in exchange for 2 top prospects and a recently promoted 26 year-old player with 225 major league at bats under his belt (where he hit .329 but that's a really small sample) seems like a very tall order.

If the Mets can get Cano for not much more than they were paying Bruce, and they get Diaz as well, I can sort of see that. I'd still prefer to keep McNeil and see what he can do as an every day player, and also keep Dunn and Kelenic as they are both very high ceiling prospects. But, if you can take on Cano for something like $35M or thereabouts, I can see the logic to it, I guess. But, there is no possible way the Mariners are going to eat all that cash. Even with the prospects back, I can't imagine the Mariners are willing to eat even half of the remaining $120M owed. But, if you call it 50/50, $60M for Cano for 5 years and giving up all that potential talent - even for a top closer like Diaz - is a lousy deal in my opinion. And, you will regret every moment of the last 3 years of that contract as you pay him $12M a year.

The Wilpons' may be stupid enough to be talked into this but, at their core, they are cheap bastards. I can't see this deal getting done. The numbers just don't make sense.

The only market that it can really work is Boston as they just have money to burn. Or, maybe Philly. I can see Philly too. In fact, more than Boston I'd like to see Philly make this investment.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:47 pm

I did not realize this before you know who the agent was that negotiated Cano's contract with Seattle?

Yes, I do know. I didn't mention it because I thought you'd respond with "No sh*t, Sherlock". :lol:
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 pm

I somehow completely missed it. Been a busy few days and, sadly, I had other priorities.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 am

So, wake up this morning to reports the Cano to the Mets deal will be announced sometime today.

This.

Sucks.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:05 am

Thank God. This time of day I'm usually checking out the Dow Futures and early Euro market results. But this is way better news.

This kinda/sorta reminds me of the time the Mets took Mo Vaughn and his contract from the Angels. My sources told me that Angels executives danced naked around the office for three days.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 am

Yeah, well, Appier sucked for the Angels and they ended up trading him to KC.

So there!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:56 am

There's no way to evaluate this trade without knowing how much of Cano's salary the Mariners are eating. But we do know that (1) The Mets are instantly better and (2) the Mariners are instantly worse. Whether it represents good value for the Mets in the long term is TBD.

If the Mariners don't invest the money they're saving in FAs, then this along with their earlier trade sends a clear message to their fans, i.e., "We're not going to make a run at a WS next year".
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am

I agree you need to see the whole thing before you can judge it, but given the deal they rejected from the Yankees it seems unlikely they are going to eat a lot of cash. But, the Mets are throwing in two former 1st round picks and Jeff Wilpon's lunch money so that may get them to kick in more here.