2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 am

Blue&White wrote:I agree you need to see the whole thing before you can judge it,

Ok, we can now see the whole thing and judge it. It sucks.

If I woke up this morning and saw that the Mets traded Justin Dunn, Jarred Kelenic and a scrub reliever like Gerson Bautista or Anthony Swarzak (not both) for Edwin Diaz, I'd think that was a good deal. Dunn is a former 1st round pick who was going to start at AAA this year and projects to be a middle of the rotation kind of guy. Kelenic was the 6th overall pick in the draft last year and his ceiling is Bryce Harper. He was drafted out of high school and baseball history is littered with "can't miss" prospects who missed, so who the heck knows. Diaz is 24 years old, there are 3 years of control left on him, and he's the best relieve in the game right now. Trading a future middle of the rotation guy (maybe) and a future superstar (maybe) and a scrub reliever for Diaz is a good deal. Even throwing in a scrub reliever makes it a good deal. Throwing in Swarzak makes it a little tougher to take but, in all honesty, if it was my call I'd probably still do that deal.

The problem is taking on Cano and $100M of salary for 5 years. That was moronic. He is 36 and was suspended for juicing. Jay Bruce is only 31, has 2 years left on that deal is is owed $28,000. His 2018 sucked but he was battling injuries. He's young enough that he may bounce back. And, even if he doesn't, it's 2 years and $28M. Not chump change but better than what they will piss away on Cano as he starts to spiral into a below average player.

Cano was owed a shit-ton of money, had a full no-trade clause and was a sure bet to reject any trade that did not send him either to a contender or to a city he wanted to be in - like New York. That all together seriously limited the market for him. Near as I can tell, there were only 2 teams really in the running: the Yankees and Mets. And, they rejected the Yankees best offer. So, the Mets were holding all the cards here. And, somehow, they still ended up picking up $100M of this moronic contract. If Cano was a free agent he'd be lucky to even get the Bruce contract ($39M/3 years) right now, coming off a PED suspension. If the Mets took on $40M of that contract for 5 years this deal would maybe be ok (although trading Kelenic still makes me not like it). But, eating $100M of this contract is just stupid. They have a rookie 2nd baseman who came up last year who showed he can hit. It was a small sample (250 at bats) but he hits .329. You have to assume there is a drop off, so let's say he hits .280 and knocks in 10 home runs over the course of the year. That's not bad for a middle infielder and you can take that $100M, find $50M more, and go sign Machade to play 3rd (where he doesn't want to play but will for the right amount of money). But, that's off the table because you put all your eggs into the basket that holds a 36 year old PED abuser.

I'm going back to bed.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:24 am

One other thing: what really pisses me off is the Mets taking on $100M AND trading Kelenic. Other than him, all they really gave up was money. But, to give up 100M and the best prospect in the system, and one of the best prospects in baseball, to get a guy there was no other market for, was just stupid.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am

I figured the Mariners would be eating at least 2 years of that contract. Guess not.

As for the prospects, perhaps the GM's attitude is: "Screw prospects. We have to make a run at a WS now while we have these starting pitchers under our control". And in keeping with that theme, the Mets didn't give up anyone likely to play a key role in winning a WS in the next couple of years. And if the Dodgers are the best team in the NL right now, that doesn't seem an unattainable goal.

Still too early to rate this trade. If Cano has a few good years, Diaz is a stud and Kelenic ends up being Lastings Milledge, maybe it won't be so bad. But on paper, right now, it doesn't look great.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:03 pm

Your explanation is probably exactly right. And, I'm ok with a "win now" strategy. But, I don't think the answer to that is Cano. Plus, he's not going anywhere. That deal will be available in a month. See if you can sign Machado first and make Cano plan B.

This just seems like an obvious mistake to me. If the Mets win a World Series in the next 2 years I'll say I was wrong but I don't like this deal.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm

I agree with the "why rush?" part. I can't believe that numerous teams were lined up for the opportunity to eat 100M of Cano's contract. When the Yankees and Red Sox said "No thanks", I figured the Mets had gained some leverage. I thought that might be what was delaying the announcement. But it doesn't seem like they exploited the situation.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:59 pm

I was not a fan of the Van Wagenen hiring. So far all he's done us confirm my expectations.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Want me to tell where that "win now" mantra followed by questionable signings ends up - I just recently left there for sunnier days.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:37 am

On the drive from the gym to the office I turned on WFAN and listened to Boomer Esiason talk about the Cano trade. Per him, if you don't focus on the $100M the Mets took on and that Cano is a 36 year old steroid user, it's a great deal for the Mets.

And, if you don't focus on the whole hitting an iceberg and sinking thing, the maiden voyage of the Titanic was a great success too.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 pm

DIdn't we say crazy things about the signing of Cano when Seattle signed him?? Makes perfect sense the Mets would get him

Segura to the Phils. I like this trade. Hopefully we get Manny next

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm

DIdn't we say crazy things about the signing of Cano when Seattle signed him?? Makes perfect sense the Mets would get him

yes we did. We all thought it was moronic. I think this deal was pretty stupid too. But, I keep reading what a big coup this was for the Mets and positions them to win now. Maybe I'm not enough of an expert to get it, but last time I checked the Mariners had him for 5 years and won absolutely nothing. In fact, he wasn't even starting towards the end. So, how this is a "win now" trade is a complete and total mystery to me.

Hopefully the problem is I'm just ignorant and am missing some great insight into why this made sense.