2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

psu_dad

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 am

If everything goes right ... if Cano has a few more good years and Diaz continues to be a stud and the prospects lost don't become stars and the Mets make a couple of runs at a WS ... then the GM will look like a genius.

Otherwise, he might end up at the bottom of Sheepshead Bay.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm

psu_dad wrote:Otherwise, he might end up at the bottom of Sheepshead Bay.

Or as GM of the Orioles - which is probably a worse fate
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Cardinals just acquired Paul Goldschmidt from the Diamondbacks. They gave up a bunch of younger guys I wasn't familiar with. I'm sure they were some of the better prospects in their farm system. That's a big get for the Cardinals.

I also read that Arizona has not yet begun to break up that team. They are looking to trade it all away. Tough luck, Lama. You're going to have to find another bandwagon to jump on.
Is it baseball season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Perhaps it's another example of the Astros' influence. When they began their Tank-a-Palooza several years ago, they weren't a horrible team. They were just mired in mediocrity. There's not much upside to being mediocre. If you can't be really good, you may as well suck and get great draft picks. And building a young/good team is a lot cheaper than building an old/good team.
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Maybe, but the DBacks didn't seem to be all that far away. They were in the hunt for a lot of the year and finished with 82 wins. Not great but not awful. They change a couple of things and they have a real shot at that division. But, rather than close the gap by adding another piece or two, they just blow up the whole thing. It's a bit like running 25 miles of a marathon and then just turning around and heading back to the finish line. There is no reason you can't finish that race and there is no reason the DBacks can't compete for a title. For a die hard Diamond Back's fan like Lama, that has to be really, really frustrating.

Watching the Dbacks get so close and then just give up has me rethinking the Cano trade the Mets did. Last year the Mets had a fantastic start and then quickly tapered off. They completely shit the bed in May and June. Then, from the all start break to the end of the season they had the best record in the NL East. They finished with only 77 wins but it didn't look like they were really that far away. Just a few pieces to add (mostly in the bullpen). I don't like the Cano trade for all the reasons I gave before, but I do like that they are trying to make moves to close that gap and win. I think the last 2 to 3 years of that Cano contract is going to be an anchor but deGrom and Wheeler are both in walk years, Syndergaard can't win it all by himself, and 2019 is going to be their best last chance for a ring. So, they are going for it. There is no reason to think Cano is going to totally crash this year (fingers crossed). And, all indications are they are not done making moves.

Given the options of a questionable trade for Cano or just breaking up the team when they are not that far off, I guess I'll take the questionable trade. The playoffs are a total crap shoot and you have to take your shots while you can. The Mets can break up the team and could be years before they are close again. For every team like the Astros or Royals who blew it all up and then built a team that went to back-to-back World Series, there are a Padres, a Reds, a Marlins, etc. who just never seem to get it together. There is no assurance the Diamond Backs are ever going to be a contender again. So, yes, I'm glad the Mets are putting all their chips on the table (but I do hope they get smarter about it).

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 am

Maybe, but the DBacks didn't seem to be all that far away.

But it was at a cost (by their standards). I looked it up. The DBacks have historically had modest payrolls, to go with their modest attendance. Starting with the Greinke signing a few years ago, they began to ratchet up the spending. Last year was their highest payroll ever by a good margin and they finished 10 games out. And with only a modest increase in attendance over their historical numbers.

The owner may have decided "Screw it. All that money to finish 10 games out? Time to start over."
Klaatu barada nikto

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am

I had not realized that about their attendance. I did not even consider that factor. I suspect that, more than finishing 10 games out, is what convinced them. They were in the hunt for most of the season. If they didn't get a good bump in attendance - which is really the primary point of fielding a winning team - then why not break it up? I get that.

I recall when the Diamondbacks were in the World Series back in 2001. I heard stories of Yankees fans flying out there and buying tickets for the games the morning of the game right at the box office. Can you imagine trying to do that for any northeastern team? Or any of the midwestern teams? There is no chance. I guess that's the difference.

But, even knowing that about the attendance I still feel better about the Mets move. The reality is that if the Mets win, the fans will come. Attendance will boom. That is what is so infuriating about the Wilpons. They don't own a team located in Miami, Tampa, Dan Diego or Phoenix. Mets fans will come and fill that place. Just give them a reason to.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:59 am

If they didn't get a good bump in attendance - which is really the primary point of fielding a winning team - then why not break it up? I get that.

Just to throw out a few numbers: In 2013, their payroll was 80M. They drew 26K a game and finished 81-81. This year, their payroll was 135M. They drew 27K a game and finished 82-80.

That's not a lot of bang for the buck, to put it mildly.
Klaatu barada nikto

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Hey I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan until at least next October
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm a sailor peg
And I lost my leg