Down by the banks of the river Charles
That's where you'll find me
Along with lovers, mugger, and thieves
(aww but they're cool people)

I LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER

Blue&White

Re: 2018 Baseball OffseasonThread

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 am

This was an interesting read, I thought: Allegation of a Doping Cover-Up by Agents Exposes a Hole in Baseball’s Authority

Here is the part that really makes you scratch your head and say "WTF?". There is a witness who wants to talk to the union's investigators, but the union will only talk to him if he first signs a non-disclosure agreement that prevents him from talking to anyon else about what he knows. Huh?

That sounds like they want to just shut him up, not find out the truth. I know nothing about this guy or this situation beyond this story, but, based on that alone, it sounds like this guy genuinely knows something damaging and the union would rather sweep it under the rug and not investigate or deal with it.
Is it baseball season yet?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:09 am

Harold Baines and Lee Smith elected into the Hall of Fame by the veterans committee (known as the Today's Game Era Committee for some strange reason).

Lee Smith and his 478 saves are an arguable choice but I think it's defensible. When you look at his career numbers, it's tough to find a reliever with better overall numbers. So, unless the decision is that relievers not named Mariano Rivera (who's not in yet but will be) can't get into the Hall of Fame, I think Smith is deserving.

Baines getting in is a complete joke, though. He was a good player and at times he was a very good player, but he was not a Hall of Fame player. His counting numbers look decent because he played for 22 years. And, after delcining year on year in the late 90s he suddenly has a power spike when he turns 40. Uh huh. Strange choice in my opinion.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Rumors being reported that there is 3 way deal in the mix involving the Yankees, Mets and Marlins. The names getting tossed around are Noah Syndergaard, Miguel Andujar, and J.T. Realmuto. I guess the thinking is that the Mets would get back the two hitters for Syndergaard -- and whatever else they need to give up. I dont't have sufficient details to have a strong opinion but I think giving up Syndergaard is probably a mistake.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the kitchen with my head in the oven and the gas on waiting to hear if I need to strike a match.

Oh, and it's a day later and I still can't come up with an explanation for Harold Baine being in the Hall of Fame.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Phillies signed Andrew McCutchen for 3 years at $50M. He should have something left in the tank and that park should help his power numbers. I think that's a good signing for the Phillies.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 pm

That seems reasonable, for both sides. He's only 31 and he's certainly sturdy. Since first becoming a starter 8 years ago, he's averaged 155 games a year and has never played less than 146 games in a season.

Having a mediocre 2018 probably cost him some money and guaranteed years, but it's still more than he's ever made per season.
Klaatu barada nikto