Movies

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Movies

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:32 pm

That'sth desthsthpicable.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm

I don’t know anything about cleaning ducks from cars or Newfies. I have had several rescue dogs and highly recommended it. The upside is, assuming you get a good fit, you don’t have to train it, if older it won’t require new knees and hips to walk it and it does provide companionship. That last one is, by far, the best thing; we should all aspire to be the person that our dog believes we are. Not a knock on anyone, just a life lesson as they are truly kind and loving creatures if you care for them. The downside is that, in some twist of karma, they don’t live as long as us and that makes for a sad day down the road. But I believe it is far outweighed by everything else. For whatever it’s worth...

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Blue&White wrote:That's very cool. Did you read the stories? Where they good? Did any of them morph into movies or later books? I love good horror and you get so little of it now. All the movies that come out seem to be about how much graphic violence and gore can they fit in, which is not really my thing. Even the original Halloween movie with Jamie Lee Curtis was more about the suspense than the murders themselves. That movie was truly frightening.

Speaking of frightening, here's something that happened out gmay/Grower's way: Pennsylvania police respond to red balloons tied to sewer grates. I like how the town played along and issued the statement that the police where terrified while removing the balloons.

At least, I assume they were just playing along. Who knows. Pennywise is rather frightening.

I wanted to wait until all the attention died down. You cannot imagine how hard it was to tie those balloons ;)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks for the input LioninVA. I've had dogs on the farm growing up and thoroughly enjoyed them. One was very special and one turned into a hunting dog for me, amazing feats of physical dexterity and speed. The special one could talk. I know dogs can't talk but this on sure did communicate verbally. He was the best dog ever.

My wife is concerned about vet bills and my ability to keep up with the dog's needs, walking and the need to go outside at times. I think I could be we all think we can yet when the rubber meets the road it could be difficult. We are looking toward a larger dog, sedate type that puts its jowls on your knee and loving stares into your eyes. A smaller dog could sit on my lap to warm my legs up which I used to do with a laptop computer and it worked very well, didn't need walking either. A service dog would be the trick certainly and I qualify seven ways from Sunday. A Newfie would be north of a grand which is more than I'd want to pay but it would be our dream. Also would love a Mastiff but they fart too much and drool night and day plus too many have physical issues and vet bills galore.

My brother swears by Jack Russells and he just entered a cottage at a nursing home facility where they allow his dog and golf cart to travel back and forth to the dining hall, etc.

I think we will seriously consider a service type dog. It may pay dividends as with the recent issues I'm dealing with I've had some physical phenomena that are disturbing and a good dog may sense that type of thing ahead of it occurring which would please my wife greatly as it disturbed her immensely.

Anyone know how you look for a service dog? I suppose there are facilities that train them for various issues people are dealing with. If anyone knows you can PM me to discuss. Thanks folks.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am

There are a number of sites that help with service dogs. Do a simple google search and you'll find a lot of options. Here is one I found with a quick search. Not sure if it fits your geographic area ,though: http://www.buckeyeservicedogs.com/

As for what to get, I'm a big fan of rescue dogs myself (which is why I spent much of my free time rescuing dogs). Rescue dogs are the best. They are grateful and loving and can't wait to come home with you and cuddle up. Many of them turn into service dogs, too. But, rescue dogs are the best. I have 2 of my own and whatever we happen to foster.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am

My brother swears by Jack Russells

The people who own them generally love them. They don't suffer from many of the health issues that other dog breeds suffer from. Consequently, they have a long lifespan, as dogs go.

But ... and it's a big BUT ... they have a ridiculous amount of energy and require an enormous amount of exercise. An occasional walk won't get it done. They need to run.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 am

We are on our 3rd rescue dog, sort of. We got our first, Copper, while stationed in Hawaii; neighbors had rescued her and were going to take her back when their marriage fell apart. Mrs LioninVa would have none of it and we got a gentle, older mutt that didn't like me until I was the only one around to feed her. On her first vet visit, they estimated she was about 7 or 8 years old. On her next to last one, 6 years later they estimated she was 8 or 9 which shows how good living can make a difference!

Our next was a total trap... Mrs LioninVa said, lets go to Car-A-Lot and look at rescue dogs; the boys and I just want to look... You don't go and just look... We brought a Pekingese home that day because he was a perfect fit with our youngest. Frank was very fond of that boy, not so much with others, but he was old and had no teeth, so we didn't worry too much. He was a good, old, lap dog but got cranky as he got older and lost his sight, which I am told is common in bulgy eyed dogs.

We purchased the current one, Cole, when we had to have Copper put down as Frank went into a funk. The vet told us he was probably depressed or something and we should get him a playmate. Cole was part of a litter that was abandoned by their mother and he was the runt. The woman who rescued them bottle fed them and sold each one so I have a hard time categorizing him as a rescue (by me, anyway). He is a Boston Terrier/Pugg mix who is certain he is the absolute center of the universe. He's a good dog, but juuuuuust a bit on the hyper-active side.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Our daughter has a Boston Terrier and she is, the dog that is, a little sH!T. She runs in front of the boxer and steals his toys, food, etc. She also has a habit of jumping on the recliner with me sitting in it at exactly the level of the testicles, ouch. I gave her the look last time and she paused then found a way around me because I would have $#@%@$^#@ her should she punch me again. I don't believe she knew what she was doing but she needed to learn a lesson and did.

I suspect I should get a smaller dog as a lap dog but that isn't what we really want. In effect, a service dog can be a rescue if they have the right temperament although I not sure I could tell in one visit.

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm

LOL.

Thanks for all the movie recommendations. We got one movie rec, a couple of book recs and dog tales (as opposed to tails...)

You guys sure know how to stay on track. I've heard the mind wanders as you age...here is living proof.

:lol:

(for the record, Mrs. 92 does a ton of work for Pawmetto Life LIne, a shelter for strays and abandoned animals. Speaking from experience, rescue cats are pretty cool too).
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

Funny you mentioned cats as that thought crossed my mind too. I had a cat while growing up that thought it was a dog. I could use it for a pillow. It was the most friendly cat I've ever known. "T.C." for Top Cat, a popular cartoon character in the 60's.