Movies

Blue&White

Movies

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:59 am

My wife and youngest saw It last night. It was well done. A little slow in building up but generally well done. Not gory, but they did a good job with building the suspense. An actual horror film as opposed to just a slasher/gore film.

If you like horror I recommend it.

psu_dad

Re: Movies

Postby psu_dad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:50 am

When I was in college, a close friend of mine had an older brother who was teaching at a local high school. While I was over my friend's house during Christmas break, his brother said to me: "Hey, you like horror. Maybe you'll like this. Some guy at a teacher's conference I attended was giving them away," Then he handed me a paperback book of short stories by a teacher named Stephen King.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

That's very cool. Did you read the stories? Where they good? Did any of them morph into movies or later books? I love good horror and you get so little of it now. All the movies that come out seem to be about how much graphic violence and gore can they fit in, which is not really my thing. Even the original Halloween movie with Jamie Lee Curtis was more about the suspense than the murders themselves. That movie was truly frightening.

Speaking of frightening, here's something that happened out gmay/Grower's way: Pennsylvania police respond to red balloons tied to sewer grates. I like how the town played along and issued the statement that the police where terrified while removing the balloons.

At least, I assume they were just playing along. Who knows. Pennywise is rather frightening.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I read the book and remember it being pretty good, but I can't recall specific stories. King has written hundreds of short stories over his career. When he was starting out, he sold a few to magazines, but they never took traction. He had a paperback book of his short stories printed with his own money, just hoping to find an audience and a publisher.

These early short stories didn't actually get "officially" published until several years after I first read them. After his first couple of novels (Carrie, the Shining) got published and he became a hot author, his publisher released a book of his earlier short stories.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:25 pm

I believe that collection of short stories was titled Four Seasons. It included The Body, made into a fine movie titled Stand By Me. Also, Rita Haworth and the Shawshank Redemption which was made into one of my favorite films. Can't remember the other stories, but that short story collection was an entertaining read.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 am

There was an earlier collection back in the 70s called Night Shift, which had a bunch of short stories that became movies - Graveyard Shift, Maximum Overdrive, Children of the Corn, etc.

Read that when I was a kid, and stayed away from King novels for a very long time after.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 am

You can quibble about the quality of his writing. I think he's a competent, but not particularly great writer. But he has a very fertile imagination and doesn't seem to struggle with ideas for stories. In terms of quantity, that imagination has made him a writing machine. Over 50 novels and almost 200 short stories in 40+ years,

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 am

I've read a lot of his books. Some are very good, some are just ok. I find he struggles with endings. I loved The Stand but hated the ending. I liked the ending for It though. I've read some of his more recent novels and I think he still suffers with endings. it's like he doesn't know how to get out of it.

Shore Lion

Postby Shore Lion » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Blue&White wrote: I've read some of his more recent novels and I think he still suffers with endings. it's like he doesn't know how to get out of it.

Well, he knew how to get Andy Dufresne out of Shawshank!

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm more of a H.G. Wells and Ray Bradbury fan myself.

We saw "The Mountain Between Us" yesterday. Enjoyed it, first movie at a theater in at least five years. Got the $5.00 noon rate. Had lunch/dinner after the movie. Mrs. Spackler is not a theater type person so we generally don't visit often. I mentioned this particular movie due the mountains and adventure aspects (the Utah state high point is in the High Uintas Wilderness where the crash is alleged to occur) of the film. She is catering to me more after the recent incident and I believe that is why she suggested we attend. She did enjoy the movie and we discussed the dog which precipitated a discussion of getting a dog to keep me company during the day BUT all the costs and the mandatory walks which are not easy for me so its on hold again. Yet she mentioned Newfies for sale again, love to get a black male Newfie.

Enough personal stuff, off to other matters. I cleaned up the Duck disaster this morning.

A Duck flew into our car 10 days ago, breaking off 1/3 of the plastic grill. I thought that was it and was preparing to purchase another grill to install when my wife mentioned a foul smell in the garage. I thought maybe something snuck (a rural term) in with the firewood and died. Later she and her nose tracked it down to the front of the car. Yes, 1/3 of the duck was jammed between the radiator and the plastic undercarriage, etc. wow, what a nasty cleanup. I had to don plastic glover and reach down pulling out pieces of rotten duck, maggot infested rotten duck, gagging rotten duck. All I can say is I think I got all of it and rinsed it for 15 mins. I can't smell anything but that isn't the important part as her nose is roughly 299999900000% more sensitive than mine. We will find out tonight.