Movies

PSUgrower

Re: Movies

Postby PSUgrower » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Any of you watch Stranger Things on Netflix? It is phenomenal! It is a mix of E.T., Goonies, and Close Encounters. The 2nd season came out last night.

Also,Ozark on Netflix is another great series. It only has one season with another one arriving at some point. I actually like it better than Breaking Bad.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:02 am

I have a Netflix account but don’t have a good streaming device to my tv at this point. My oldest son was telling me about Stranger Things last night and highly recommended it.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:16 am

Buy a chromecast. They are inexpensive, like $30 or thereabouts, and let you stream right to your tv.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:46 am

I was thinking about a chrome cast or fire stick. I don’t know enough about the differences.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:31 am

A firestick has apps on it. A chromecast just allows you to put things on your phone or tablet on a tv or monitor. It doesn't provide any services, it just let's you put a broadcast on another device for viewing.

I have Netflix and HBO on my phone and I cast them onto my 60" tv.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 am

What sort of download speed do you need to really have success with something like chromecast? I was considering cutting the cable but have 10 mg download at best and don't think it will work.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 am

10mg should be fine. I have FiOS and I have their most basic option. My wife and I have been catching up on Game of Thrones (we are almost thru season 2 so NO SPOILERS). I run it on my phone, cast it to the TV, and have zero problems. I doubt I'm downloading 10mg at night when everyone of my neighbors is home and also online. My kids are constantly using bandwidth. I think you'll be fine.

Funny you mention ditching the cable. I think about that all the time. I'll probably keep the basic service until my youngest is off to college and then I think I dump it. You can get almost everything via Netflix and Hulu. Sure, they are both pay services, but they have to be cheaper than FiOS. I'll have to convince my wife to dump the landline and the TV, but I'm sure she'll be ok with it. But, I'm probably 3 years away from being able to do that.

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:52 am

My wife loves the antique and food shows. IF I can access them on a service provider along with the sports, movie channel and other specialty programming e.g. history etc. I'd be inclined to cut they cord. I'm uncertain as to what both of us accessing different shows in the evening when the neighbors share bandwidth adds up to in non buffered viewing.

We DVR many shows to enjoy commercial free during dinner. I don't know how a Hulu type service relates to DVR'ing issues or how we get around that issue. Is there DVR type activity with a non cable service?

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Blue&White wrote: My wife and I have been catching up on Game of Thrones (we are almost thru season 2 so NO SPOILERS). .

That guy and the other girl you like? They die.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:33 pm

That guy and the other girl you like? They die.

Bastard!!

Carl - a lot of the channels have apps and websites you can stream shows from. I'd look into that before you start cutting cords.