Movies

Carl Spackler

Re: Movies

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Pretty sure the good guys win in the end but will have several tumultuous events on the way to victory.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Inasmuch as the last Star Wars movie I saw was 40 years ago, I believe I'll be passing on this one.

The first trilogy of Star Wars movies was interesting, mostly because they were fairly unique at the time. But I remember taking my youngest to see the second trilogy. Man, those were tedious. It was a struggle to stay awake.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:18 am

The 2nd trilogy was a major let down. The first movie, Phantom Menace, was unbelievably awful. This time, Lucas has taken himself out of the process. Hopefully that helps.

Big movies is something I do with my sons, and they are still willing to go with me. So, I'll keep going for as long as they will include me.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 am

My wife and son love movies. My daughter and I find it tough to choose between a trip to the dentist or the movie theater. This is compounded by my absolute boredom with the science fiction/fantasy genre, leaving almost no choices in the modern moviegoing era, combined with hatred of filling the coffers of lefty Hollywood. So - almost no flicks for me. I'll get around to seeing Dunkirk and the Churchill movies, but on my own terms - my couch, my snacks, my sound control.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:28 am

Dunkirk was really good. The one thing about it, which I did not realize until I got there, was it's not exactly the story of Dunkirk. It's really more about the experience of the people involved. Soldiers, pilots, people on the boats, etc. And, you see the same events from a few different perspectives. So, it's a very narrow view of the entire ordeal. Personally, I thought it worked really well. If they tried to do the whole story in a 2 hour movie, it would have felt rushed and not given the enormity, and direness, of the situation. The way they did it, you could almost feel the desperation of some of the characters.

One other really cool thing about the movie - the airplanes are genuine. Those are real spitfires. Apparently the director felt that CGI couldn't do justice to the look, sound and feel of the actual airplanes. So, he located a couple of working spitfires and those are what he uses in the movie.

Just really well done. I need to watch that again, actually.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 am

I remember building a spitfire model as a kid. Always thought they were the coolest looking planes.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:48 am

This is compounded by my absolute boredom with the science fiction/fantasy genre, leaving almost no choices in the modern moviegoing era

I like science fiction, but the fantasy genre puts me to sleep. They should just call it the Dweebs with Swords genre. If the police locked me in an interrogation room and forced me to watch the The Lord of the Rings trilogy again, I'd confess to the Lindbergh kidnapping after 30 minutes ... 45 minutes, tops. And I don't really consider Star Wars to be science fiction, in the sense that 1984, Fahrenheit 451, etc. are science fiction. I consider Star Wars to be fantasy set in the future (Dweebs with Light Sabers).
PS - I am also considered by many to be the world's leading authority on the 1950s Giant Mutant Insect sub-genre of science fiction.

Mrs psu_dad: You've said that 1000 times.
Me: It bears repeating.

Jerry Garcia

Postby Jerry Garcia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:56 am

Well, the next time Them is playing in the Boston area give me a call and I'll head up there. :P

When the original Star Wars came out, special effects obviously were primitive and Lucas & Co elevated that whole thing to a startling level. Now you get more/better SE's in the average 30-second commercial spot than in the entire second millennium. It all just seems ho-hum at this point. Give me a good human movie anytime - and they just don't make many of them now.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:59 am

Give me a good human movie anytime - and they just don't make many of them now.

Hey, I recommended The Big Sick and that was about as human as it gets. No special effects at all. None. Just acting.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:04 am

I guess they know their demographic ... and it's not the Old Fart demographic.

I watch more older movies that newer ones, "human" movies as you call them. The Friends of Eddie Coyle was on the other night. Great movie.