Movies

sameoldlama

Re: Movies

Postby sameoldlama » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 am

Last time I was in a movie theater was when I took my ex GF's daughters to see The Hunger Games - the first one. Before that it was the Batman movie with Heath Ledger.

I can't watch the superhero /sci-fi / action movies anymore - they are so over the top ridiculous they become unwatchable as they emphasize special effects over actually presenting a story / action that is even barely plausible.
My tastes run more towards dry humor (Coen Brothers) and I like movies based on true stories (American Gangster and the like).

That part of not wanting anything to do with the ever more obnoxious Hollywood turds keeps me out of theaters too - if only George Clooney just still took his cues from Pappy O'Daniel.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 am

- if only George Clooney just still took his cues from Pappy O'Daniel.

And if only Vince Vaughn just still took his cues from Patches O'Houlihan.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am

psu_dad wrote:This is compounded by my absolute boredom with the science fiction/fantasy genre, leaving almost no choices in the modern moviegoing era

I like science fiction, but the fantasy genre puts me to sleep. They should just call it the Dweebs with Swords genre. If the police locked me in an interrogation room and forced me to watch the The Lord of the Rings trilogy again, I'd confess to the Lindbergh kidnapping after 30 minutes ... 45 minutes, tops. And I don't really consider Star Wars to be science fiction, in the sense that 1984, Fahrenheit 451, etc. are science fiction. I consider Star Wars to be fantasy set in the future (Dweebs with Light Sabers).
PS - I am also considered by many to be the world's leading authority on the 1950s Giant Mutant Insect sub-genre of science fiction.

Mrs psu_dad: You've said that 1000 times.
Me: It bears repeating.

dad, while you may have a wonderful broad sense of 50's mutant insect movies e.g. Them, etc. I am the local expert on the greatest mutant insect movie of all time, THE DEADLY MANTIS. Often imitated but never duplicated. After that, science fiction slowly faded into what we have today, computed generated noise and flashing colors with fantasy about some rings or some sort of pseudo fiction.

When visiting our grandchildren in April I noticed that they were transfixed by the flashing colors and noise on the TV, Disney. Apparently this is the way to hook, addict young children to noise and flashing colors. Sad. Where is Walt Disney now? Davey, Davey Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Where is Walt Disney now?

Probably rolling over in his grave.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:07 pm

psu_dad wrote:Where is Walt Disney now?

Probably rolling over in his grave.

Most likely at 20,000 rpm.
So I got that going for me...which is nice. It's a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensimilla so you can play 36 holes on it,take it home at night and get stoned to the begesses belt

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm

I just noticed that I'm within 500 posts of B dub. I've never been that close, ever. Even before he joined the board back in the glory days of the late 90's. I'm not a charter member but I'm darn close to one. I remember when the dial up connection took 15 min. to register my connection.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:15 pm

I am pretty sure you predate me on this forum, actually.
Alex Cora sucks. Mickey Callaway sucks. Baseball sucks. Everything and everyone just sucks. Is it football season yet?

Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:40 am

I'm older but you are the super star to the forum. ;)

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 am

He does spend a lot of time goofing off in here.

Mrs psu_dad: Look who's talking.
Me: I'm multi-tasking.
Fire Alex Cora. (On hold pending further review)

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am

B&W's number of posts : A coincidence?

Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall