Movies

Blue&White

Re: Movies

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 am

Curious as to what the GoT fans thought of the wrap up. I thought it was just ok. I felt they tried too hard to get closure on a number of things. I thought having Daenerys burn the city after they had signaled surrender was really out of character. They spent the last few episodes trying to make her look like she was going crazy to justify the ending.

The problem is when you end a story like this, the implication is the story goes on but we just don't know what happens. I think that always leaves a lot of people unsatisfied. People want these shows to have total closure, but that's really impossible for characters that keep going. I felt like this time they tried to avoid "The Sopranos" effect where it just stops and people are left wondering what happens and what happens next. But, that's always going to be the be case. The characters would always have a next day the viewers were not aware of. GoT tried to avoid that by just killing most of them off.

I get it, but it felt like they didn't do the show justice. At least for me.
Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 am

And we are back!

I agree with your assessment of GoT. Dany was very out of character in the last few episodes but I think they were maybe showing how power corrupts. I did t think it was a horrible ending, but surely not what I was expecting.

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am

It was OK. Felt like the last season story lines were just rushed.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 27, 2019 11:23 am

Could be worse. I was devastated when Mr. Ed just abruptly ended with no closure at all. Did he end up signing with the Dodgers? Did he marry that filly he was attracted to? Did he end up in a glue factory?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 27, 2019 12:39 pm

Mr. Ed was euthanized in 1970 (seriously) and his ashes were scattered in the LA area (also - seriously). Also, given that the only person who could hear him talk was Wilbur I think the show is less about a talking horse and more about the psychosis experienced by Wilbur Post. I mean, think about it, which is more likely? That the horse can talk and only one person can hear him? Or, that the person talking to the horse is actually insane?
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 27, 2019 12:49 pm

And I suppose Mr. Ed didn't actually hit a frozen rope off the left field wall against Sandy Koufax and that he really didn't know how to surf, either. You're such a cynic.
Fire Alex Cora

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Blue&White wrote:Mr. Ed was euthanized in 1970 (seriously) and his ashes were scattered in the LA area (also - seriously). Also, given that the only person who could hear him talk was Wilbur I think the show is less about a talking horse and more about the psychosis experienced by Wilbur Post. I mean, think about it, which is more likely? That the horse can talk and only one person can hear him? Or, that the person talking to the horse is actually insane?

WTF are you talking about? I could hear Mr Ed talk, too. And the next thing you're gonna tell me is My Favorite Martian wasn't really from Mars? Who knew.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon May 27, 2019 8:30 pm

I've not watched a second of GoT, but eagerly anticipate the Deadwood movie on HBO this Friday. Am in the middle of watching the reruns of the original three season run and am blown away. Any of you hoople heads into Deadwood?
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Am in the middle of watching the reruns of the original three season run and am blown away.

That's scary. So am I. I couldn't get into it when it was originally shown. It's certainly not the sort of western I grew up with. I don't remember John Wayne ever calling someone a f---nut. But it's growing on me the second time around.

I didn't realize the Al Swearengen character wasn't fictitious. He really owned a saloon/brothel in Deadwood named the Gem and he really was a douchebag.
Fire Alex Cora

Nat@PSU

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue May 28, 2019 8:04 am

I saw a preview for the Deadwood movie, remembered how some of my friends listed it as their second favorite show of all time (behind the Wire) and decided to start it. I'm four episodes in, and it hasn't disappointed yet.
- Nat

Let's Go State!!