Movies

PittGradPSUMad

Re: Movies

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 am

I'm placing Deadwood alongside The Sopranos....compelling, memorable characters, great writing that is Shakespearean in its way.....as the best television that I have experienced.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 28, 2019 9:00 am

I'm not sure "compelling" is the word I'd use for the characters in the Sopranos and Deadwood, other than in the same way that a train wreck is "compelling". I have zero emotional investment in them. They're mostly awful people. But the writing is compelling.
Fire Alex Cora

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue May 28, 2019 9:06 am

Yes, trainwreck works. Al Swearegen is a human trainwreck......horrifying, yet I can't watch him without wondering what he'll do next.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 am

The movie "Unforgiven" was a lot like that. There were no "good guys". Everyone was a scumbag of some level. But wow, what a great film.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm

While channel surfing the other day, I stumbled across a channel I didn't know I had (The Cowboy Channel?). They were showing an episode of the old Roy Rogers show. Those were some fancy duds Roy was wearing. And nary an utterance of "f---nut".
Fire Alex Cora

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Tue May 28, 2019 4:55 pm

Blue&White wrote:Curious as to what the GoT fans thought of the wrap up. I thought it was just ok. I felt they tried too hard to get closure on a number of things. I thought having Daenerys burn the city after they had signaled surrender was really out of character. They spent the last few episodes trying to make her look like she was going crazy to justify the ending.

The problem is when you end a story like this, the implication is the story goes on but we just don't know what happens. I think that always leaves a lot of people unsatisfied. People want these shows to have total closure, but that's really impossible for characters that keep going. I felt like this time they tried to avoid "The Sopranos" effect where it just stops and people are left wondering what happens and what happens next. But, that's always going to be the be case. The characters would always have a next day the viewers were not aware of. GoT tried to avoid that by just killing most of them off.

I get it, but it felt like they didn't do the show justice. At least for me.

I had no problem with dani scorching the city. I don't think it was out of character because she as starting to become shady and John Snow blew her off when he didn't kiss her back. She knew she lost everything because she was not loved by the people like John Snow was. She lost a lot of people who she trusted like Tyrian and Varys. I knew Snow and Dani couldn't die together because that Shakespearian narrative was already used to kill Cercei and Jamie.

I was fine with the ending, but it didn't light the world on fire. I thought it was a safe ending too. Snow paid a price for killing Dani and Tyrian became the hand for Bran. I think they rushed the story and should have had 8 episodes this year. There were some weird parts that were edited weird but it is what it is.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:20 am

My wife and I saw The Dead Don't Die last night. I knew it was a campy zombie movie but I figured a movie that had Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tom Waits, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Rosie Perez, Carol Kane, Tilda Swinton and, of all people, Iggy Pop, HAD to be good.

Nope.

It never really got going. It had some moments but, in general, I'd wait until it comes to cable.
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:30 pm

I know nothing about this contribution to the cinematic arts, but I'm going to take a wild guess that Iggy Pop played a zombie.

PS - You no longer get to make snarky remarks about giant insect movies. Ever.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:38 pm

Given that Iggy Pop is pretty much a zombie in real life, that's too easy a guess.

As for giant insect movies, I will continue to make snarky comments about them regardless of how many bad zombie movies I may see.
Is it football season yet?