Of Novels, Novellas and Short Stories...

pennstate92

Of Novels, Novellas and Short Stories...

Postby pennstate92 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Greetings folks.

As a couple of you who have friended me on Facebook may know, I've just published my first story, a short novella, some 20000 words. It is what I refer to as military fantasy in the tradition of the Black Company (Glen Cook), though with a different slant. I take from my own experiences in the Navy, as well as years worth of experience reading every conceivable piece of fantasy fiction that I could get my greedy little hands on.

It is called Tales of the MERC Part One: The Trial. The cost is $1.99 (less than half the cost of a greeting card).

Right now it is in eBook format (nook, kindle, etc.), and you can download it at Smashwords.com or Barnes and Noble's website (you'll have to register and sign on to purchase the story at whichever site you choose to purchase it from).

This has been a dream of mine for many years. I hope a few of you will give it a chance. Those who do, I'll look forward to your feedback.

Thanks most sincerely,
Mike
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There is no hope for you.

LioninVa

Re: Of Novels, Novellas and Short Stories...

Postby LioninVa » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:52 pm

I downloaded it and hope to read it soon. I have some decent down time coming after Friday...

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:19 pm

That's awesome, thanks a lot. I very much appreciate it.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:44 am

I looked at the preview on Goodreads. Looks like a great book. Then when I clicked on the Amazon link I got "Oops! Page not found". Same for Barnes and Noble.

No one is going to mistake me for a computer scientist. So, did I do something wrong? Or is it a bad link of some sort?
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:08 pm

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Crow -

I am not currently producing my work via Amazon, thus you won't find it on their website. There are multiple reasons, not the least of which it took me a ton of time to figure out my current distributors configuration requirements.

Smashwords.com gives you access to multiple points to download the story to, including the Kindle app.

As far as I know, there are no issues with Barnes and Noble.

If you try again and still get stuck, email me at falchion1969@aol.com and I'll see what I can do to help.

Mike

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:23 pm

And thanks Bendle for the assist. In case I haven't mentioned it recently, you're okay in my book. No pun intended... :D

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:34 am

'92, congratulations on the successful pursuit of your dream. I don't own a kindle; I still read the old school way and have no plans to change. How does one go about accessing your book? BTW, I admire your determination in seeing the process through to an end. I have some idea of how difficult that process can be. I am a successful failed writer, having written many unpublished short stories and one novella that will never see the light of day. Those stories currently occupy several boxes in the corner of my basement. Every so often, I reread them to remind myself of how embarassed I would be if any had been published. Those stories have been scheduled to visit the burn pile for some time, now, but I haven't been able to go through with it.....feels like I'd be killing a someone I love.
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:16 am

Better yet, when does the movie come out? And are you going to invite us all to the premier? :D
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

pennstate92

Postby pennstate92 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Crow - You'll get front row tix to the premier. :D

Pitt - thanks for the well wishes. I think every writer is his or her own worst enemy. We tend to self critique to the point of sabotaging ourselves. One of my favorite writers, Glen Cook, offered up this nugget about 10 years ago: Don't think about writing, just write. Even if it stinks, you're still gonna get better from the practice.

I took that to heart. :)