2020 Election Thread

Blue&White

2020 Election Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:34 am

Figure it may be easier to have a separate thread vs. just stuffing everything into politics.

Anyway, here's something that should keep you all up night with sweats and night terrors: Hillary Clinton still considering 2020 presidential run

Is it baseball season yet?

hbendle

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby hbendle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 am

Now add to the list a CA senator. and some Starbucks CEO?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 am

It's more than those two.

Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand and Kamala Harris have all officially declared they are running. Beto O’Rourke - who couldn't win an eletion in his home state, Cory Bookers, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are all probalby going to run.

LA mayor Eric Garcetti says he's running too. I expect Carrot Top and some fictional characters to throw their hat into the ring at some point soon. I figure there will be 20 people or so running. And, every single one of them is preferable to Hillary Clinton. I don't even know who some of them are, and I would still vote for them over her.

On the Republican side, I think Trump will likely get some challenges. Flake and Kasich at least will probalby try to challenge him. We'll see if either gets any legs. I tend to doubt it. I think the only way Trump is not the Republican nominee is if he takes himself out. Otherwise, I don't see him getting replaced, but a lot can happen between now and the primaries.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:59 am

A lot can happen between now and Friday. In reality, last Friday alone was enough to burn the clutch at most media outlets.

hbendle

Postby hbendle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 am

I kind of wonder if some Republican or independent maverick has some way of wedging their way into the Republican primaries, even if the party leaders are against it?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am

Isn't that how Trump got the nomination to begin with? They did not want him at all.

Both Kasich and Flake have made noise about running. And, Flake was basically chased from office so I don't see him winning the primary. The reality is that a majority of Republicans approve of Trump. The polls continually show that he is popular with the Republican Party. The Republicans bigger issue is their relevance is constantly shrinking. Neither party commands a huge percentage of the electorate anymore, but the Republicans are really shrinking. something like 35% of the country identify as Democrats and ~25% identify as Republicans. That's a problem for them.

Forget the number of seats won or not won by the Democrats in the 2018 midterms. The districts are so incredibly gerrymandered it's tough for the map to change significantly. The real number to look at is the total number of votes cast for each party. And, in 2018 the Democrats received something like 8.6 million votes more than the Republicans. That's really, really bad news for the Republican Party. If that holds into 2020, they are going to get wiped out. Those numbers indicate they are not only going to get crushed in the Presidential run but in the Senate as well.

And, that's bad news of the middle class, too. It's not good for any of us if the Democrats don't have a credible opposing party. And, right now, they really don't. The republicans just keep embracing more and more insanity. They are the party of religious zealatry, of science denial, of bigotry and opposing equal rights for gays, of voter suppression, and for a staunch unwillingness to do absolutely anything about gun violence. They are the party of choice of the aging boomers and they are in danger of going the way of the doodoo.

Meanwhile, the Democrats, left unchecked, are going to spend us all into oblivion.

I really, really hope that Trump gets a challenge from a moderate who is willing to stand up to voters and basically say "hey, we need to be inclusive, we need to stop the rhetoric of hate, we need to embrace science and we need to solve our immigration and financial challenges like adults". I will vote for that person. Happily. I just don't see that person getting through the primaries.

So, in conclusion - we are royally screwed.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:40 am

PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Blue&White wrote:Figure it may be easier to have a separate thread vs. just stuffing everything into politics.

Anyway, here's something that should keep you all up night with sweats and night terrors: Hillary Clinton still considering 2020 presidential run

Oh for the love of God, please make it stop!
Yeah, well, that's like your opinion, man.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Good read about the possibility of a Howard Schultz candidacy. I hope he runs.

I agree with the article that the Dems have veered way too far to the left. If they keep up with the far left lunacy, they will alienate middle America.

If they find a good, centrist candidate in 2020 they will sweep Trump right out of office and the Repubs right out of the Senate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ty/581443/
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I agree with the article that the Dems have veered way too far to the left

Most of the positions the Democrats espouse today would sit very well with Republicans during the 1980s back when Reagan was president. The tax rates and suggestions suggested by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are well, well below the upper tax rates that existed under Republican Dwight Eisenhower. You remember Eisenhower? He was president back when we lived in the so-called Golden Age of the American econony.

I am not a fan of all the policy positions the Democrats are putting out but the idea that they have beomce these exterme leftists is complete and utter nonsense. Case in point - the Affordable Care Act, aka "Obamacare". This has been presented as some kind of ultra-leftist idea that was straight from Casto and Che Guevara. But, the basics of it is based on a proposal from the Heritage Foundation. If you're not familiar with the Heritage Foundation, they are a libertarian think tank and bankrolled by the very NOT liberal Koch brothers. The Affordable Care Act is extremely close to what the Republicans presented as an alternative to the Clinton health care plan back in the 1990s. They loved that plan - up until the point that it was proposed by Obama. And, then, suddenly, it was just communism and stealing our freedoms!!!

Don't be fooled, Crowbar. Not all these policy ideas the Dems are putting out are good ideas. And, comparisons of the economy of the 1950s to today is going to get you some strange results. But, the idea that this is a dramatic shift to the far left is complete and utter bullshit. You've just been sold a lot of propoganda. Don't fall for it.

Oh, speaking of the Heritage Foundation, for those who missed it: last fall the Heritage Foundation did an overview on Sanders' proposal of Medicare for all. And, they found that it's actaully cheaper than our current system! And, per several polls, an overwhelming majority of Americans are in favor of the idea. The numbes have it at about 70% of the population is in front of it. So, it's cheaper AND it's insanely popular. So, why is no one in Congress pushing for it? I think it's pretty obvious what the "why" is. But, people are focused on if the Democrats are too "left". Ridiculous.