2020 Election Thread

LioninVa

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

7 months from the start of the primary. This is going to be a looooong year and a half...

Polls at this point, while arguable more scientific, are similar to the way too early to matter college football polls that always end up impacting the final rankings. If you aren’t net the top at the star, the battle to overcome is more difficult regardless of how you play. I can’t believe we are having town halls and debates at this point. Can’t we just enjoy our summer first?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm

When you're home and you get a phone call and you don't know the number - do you answer it? I don't. No one younger than my parents or my inlaws answer the phone if they don't reocognize the number. That's the funademntal problem with modern polls - they are limited to a demographic of people who answer the phnoe.

dad - is Larry going to be Secretary of Education?
Is it football season yet?

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Yes. And Jesus Quintana is going to be Secretary of State.

Nobody f---s with the Jesus.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:41 pm

That has the makings of a pretty awesome adiministration.

Jackie Treehorn as a member of the FCC?

Donnie as secretary of the Interior? I mean, he loved to surf, so a job that deals with outdoors is right up his (bowling) alley.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm

On occasion, those polling calls will show up as a political group. I have answered them a few times, probably after a beer or three, and given bogus answers and totally false demographic information. I was once an 18 year old female Latino republican. It’s easier to do on the recorded calls, of course...

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:31 am

My wife wanted to watch the debate yesterday so I ended up watching most of it. The only comment I wanted to make was this: I'm no fan of Harris, but I really, really enjoyed watching her make Biden squirm. Whatever else she may be, she is clearly an experienced litigator and she did a great job baiting him and trapping him on his past voting record and positions on race. When you find yourself basically making the argument of "here's a list of things I did that weren't racist", you lost the argument. That was really awesome. And, looking at headlines this morning it seems I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 am

When you find yourself basically making the argument of "here's a list of things I did that weren't racist", you lost the argument.

t's a fool's errand to try to prove that you're "not" something. I'm surprised Biden would fall into that trap. How did Larry David do?
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:39 am

Actually, I want to make one other comment: during the debate Joe Biden talked about how the Trump administration was treating migrant children in their care and not giving them beds, etc. and how outraged he was about it. Here's a Joe Biden Fun Fact for you - the recent arguments were the Justice Department argued they did not have to provide hygiene products, beds, etc. are from a case that originated when Joe Biden was the Vice President of these United States. That means the Justice Department was defending policies that originated with Obama - not Trump.

That doesn't get Trump off the hook. What his administration is doing is disgusting and criminal. A parent who treated their children this way would have them taken away and face criminal charges. So, why it's ok for the government to do it is beyond me - because it's not. But, that Trump is wrong doesn't change the fact that the Obama administration was wrong too. For Biden to pretend this is something new - and he was not a part of it - is laughable.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:47 am

I thought these policies started under W. I could be wrong, but many of my more conservative friends keep posting links to articles that “the media doesn’t tell us” showing the history of family separation and the numbers of immigrants deported under the previous administrations. If you just read the title, you are not getting the real story.

Like you said, B-Dub, this excuses none of them. They are all responsible in some manner or another in allowing atrocious behavior.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 am

I thought these policies started under W.

They may have. I'm not sure why that matters.

The issue isn't the "who". It's the "what". Too many people are willing to dismiss what is happening under the guise of "Obama did it too", as if, somehow , that makes it ok. It doesn't. That the press didn't cover it when Obama was President is a fair criticism of the press, but it's not a defense to the policy. And, whether or not it originated with Obama, or Bush, or Clinton, or ... whomever, the policy and the actions should be judged through the lense of what it is. That Obama's lawyers were fighting against providing soap and showers to children being interred doesn't mean that Trump is off the hook. And, I wasn't trying to suggest it was.

My only point is that in a country of over 330,000,000 million people, there are a small number who have zero business complaining at all about that policy. And, Joe Biden is on that small list. Screw him. He's part of this and as guilty and tainted by it as Trump himself. Screw him and his bullshit outrage.