2020 Election Thread

Blue&White

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby Blue&White » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:35 pm

And "rising party star" AOC just celebrated the accomplishment of chasing 25M high paying jobs and development out of her impoverished, blighted district.

Amazon was going to hire 25 million people to come work in that location? Really? 25 million people? I'm going to take the under on that number.

Oh, and Long Island City isn't her district. And, it isn't impoverished.

Seriously, you need to turn Sean Hannity or whatever you're watching. Enough with the propoganda already.
Is it baseball season yet?

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:36 am

M is the Roman numeral for 1000 - thus 25M is 25,000. Not 25 Million - which would be 25MM.

Between this and the Eric Reid will never sign again comment you shouldn't be calling people out with such confidence.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 am

Generally people use "M" for millions. I've seen the MM designation for millions in professional settings but in this forum we've always used "M" for millions and "B" for billions. But, yes, I did miss that one.

But, you can equally tone down the rhetoric. You throw a lot of Fox News bullshit out.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:55 am

Bernie Sanders has announced he's back in the race. So, Lama has found his candidate.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 am

His running is emblematic of something many people find so disturbing about current day politics - the amount of time elected official spend campaigning for a new job vs doing the one they been elected to do. I'd like to think being a US Senator is a full time job - one that actually requires more time than what all us regular folk do given the impact of the decisions being made. I think I can fairly accurately summarize Bernie's activity log as follows:

2015 - 2016 - Campaign for POTUS (myself or Hill Dog)
2017 - 2018 - Bitch about Donald Trump and rich people
2019 - 2020 - Campaign for POTUS

It happens with both parties where elected representatives spend little time in DC, no time in their home state and the bulk of their time fundraising or hitting early primary states.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm

The duration of the election cycle is really ridiculous. And, the amount of money it takes to compete in that election cycle is obscene and absolutely corrupting. You either end up with politicians who are completely and utterly compromised or you end up with billionaries who are completely and utterly removed from the realities of the lives of the people they represent. Or, in many cases, you end up with both.

Say what you want about Sanders but he's about as close to a "regular" guy you are going to get running for the Presidency. The ~$300,000 or so he declared as his annual income last time around is clearly much higher than the average American makes, but it's not far off from what a lot of white collar dual income families make in the northeast. Sanders also doesn't take coporate donations and I believe (but am not sure this is 100% true) his money comes from small donations from regular people. You can disagree with his positions and policy ideas, but I think he's one of the few people running where you can't really question his integrity.

But, in general, I think money has absolutely corrupted our system. The idea that corporations are people and money is speech has taken our system off the rails. I really wish we could go to a UK type of system where all elections are publically funded, everyone spends the same amount of money, and you are not allowed to put these ridiculous misleading adds on TV. I really think we would all be better off if we can get the money and some of the venom spurred on by special interests out of our electoral process. I'm sure the nation's founders are rolling over in their graves at the way the First Amendment has been coopted and subverted as a means to protect large financial interests at the expense of the rest of us.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 pm

I like the idea of equal spending limits and public funding. It has about as much of a chance as term limit passage, I fear. Not because it is flawed, because I don’t see politicians biting the hand that feeds them. Maybe a few would support it, but they would do so either because it allows them to say they did or because the party leadership allowed them to for re-election reasons. If that isn’t the same thing in different words.

I don’t know who I like on the D side yet and am waiting t see if a viable contender enters against Trump on the right. I could possibly get behind the governor from Maryland as he seems to be able to work both sides of the aisle.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Bernie is not quite the pauper he's made out to be - he made over $1MM in 2016 (thanks in large part to a book deal). Net worth is kind of a tricky thing as assets can be placed in a spouses, children or grandchild's name and not necessarily be reflected in his political disclosure but last I saw it was $2MM (not excessive for a guy his age and whose wife pulled a decent income until she bankrupted a college). He also apparently had enough loose change to purchase his third home last year - a nearly $600M lakefront property. And who knows how much campaign cash gets used for personal benefit or the benefit of family and friends.

I've said before I don't begrudge anyone having money if they came about it honestly - so if someone tosses Bern a cool mil for a book good for him. I do have an issue with a guy enjoying the public benefits and leveraging politics for personal gain while begrudging people who made there bones in the private sector. Tell me what major his major accomplishments are in a lifetime in politics - other than the ability to keep getting re-elected.

As far as integrity - you can argue he adheres to his stated moral code - it's just IMO his moral code is built on dogemmert.

Howard Schultz is crazy rich but as far as I know he didn't come about dishonestly and his parents were of modest means. So if he spends his own money to run for President I can't hold that against him.
I want a POTUS who is smarter than me, who has had more career success than me, is a better manager and problem solver than me - I don't care if he can identify with me - I want a person who can put together a great staff, be a fantastic leader and has an ideology and value system that aligns with mine. (And no that option wasn't exactly among the choices last election).

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 pm

I don't think Sanders ever claimed he was a pauper. I'm not sure where that characterization came from. And, he's written books before. I know the proceeds from a previous book were all donated to charity. The one you are referring to I think I read he kept that money and used it to buy a summer house that his family uses. I think he recorded an album of folk songs once and collects some royalties off that (but, judging by how he talks I can't imagine he makes any real money from singing - call it a wild hunch).

But, so what? His position has never been that people shouldn't make money. He doesn't eschew capitalism. That's really a gross distortion of his views and his agenda. His basic point is that the richest country in the world should have a better safety net, and that rich people should pay more than they do to provide the services that make society work. Perhaps that seems unfair, but I'd submit it's a lot less unfair than monied interests basically able to buy politicians and get their way on most every issue.

For example, Medicare for all. According to polls, 70 percent of Americans favor a single-payer healthcare system. And, that includes 52 percent of Republicans. And, according to the Libertarian think tank The Heritage Foundation, an organization funded by the very conservative Koch brothers, a single payer system would be cheaper than our current for profit system. An organization who you know was looking to discredit the idea concluded it was cheaper. And, that really makes sense because the cost of health care in the US is far greater than what it costs in countries with single payer and even fully government provided health care systems, and our coverage and outcomes are not any better. We don't lead in life expectancy, infant mortality, or really any category you can think of.

And yet, despite it being immensely popular and it predicted to cost less, it can't get a sniff of chance in either chamber of Congress. Why do you suppose that is? Here's a clue - a few weeks there were a few reports out that one of Pelosi's top aids met with executive from the health insurance industry to assure them that - despite what she may say in public - Democrats, under her watch at least, have no intention of really bringing single payer to the House floor for a vote and they shouldn't worry about it.

We do not have a system based on free market movements. We have a system where we pick winners and losers repeatedly, and we pick who wins and who loses by the size of their campaign contributions. And, people like us always lose. What has Sanders done? What can anyone Senator or Congressman do? He's brought up issues and fought for ideas and programs that impact ordinary people. And, before he was in government, he worked as a civil rights activist and put himself in harms way. You don't have to agree with his policy ideas, but I really don't think you can question his integrity.

As for his wife and the school bankruptcy - dude, you voted for Trump, so you obviously don't think running something into bankruptcy several times is any kind of a disqualifier. And, even if you did - it was his wife, not him.

Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:20 am

So, Trump University isn't mentioned in the same breath as Harvard and MIT? :shock:
National Champions 1911, 1912, 1969, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1994