2020 Election Thread

sameoldlama
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:43 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am

I toured a handful of sites for candidates and would offer following

> even if they are bare bones, they have two commonalities - solicitation for a donation and asking for contact info (so they can hit you up for donation or ask you to volunteer to hit people up for donations)
> some have a profile of general humble bragging
> some of the very generalized typical promises of "they are going to end corruption and be for the people" but no specifics
> by far the most detailed and specific one I saw was Andrew Yang - don't agree with his positions but I respect he is actually articulating his position and on quite a few topics. I can understand established candidates like Bernie have a record / profile where some of their major platforms are know - but I credit a gut like Yang who is an unknown going to that level of effort to say what he is about.

Now on the comedy front saw the following two stories over weekend

After his loss to Ted Cruz despite spending $80MM Beto was a bit down in the dumps - so he got some magical New Mexico with mystical restorative properties - and ate it. Also I guess he simply is letting the name Hickenlooper provide all the laughs - The Hicker supposedly admitted he went to see Deep Throat in a theatre - and took his Mom. These are stories I read and I am hoping that they are not true because they make a guy who lives on McD's hamburgers and sleeps with porno stars seem a little less crazy.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm

So, I'm sure most of you have seen the news about how Biden may be unfit to be president because he made women feel "uncomfortable". I don't know where to start about what a joke this whole thing is. But, let me cut to the chase: Biden is not unfit to be president becuase he touched some women's shoulders or whatnot. He's unfit to be president because he's utterly and totally corrupt. For example, there was the time he used his job as VP of the United States to get another country to fire a prosectutor who was investigating his son.

As a secondary point, I'm curious as to how many of you had heard a thing about this story. It happened years ago and is getting brought up again, but how many of you knew about it? My guess is a minority of you. Now, imagine the same story but the kid in question had the last name "Trump". How much news coverage do you think that would get? My guess is a whole lot.

Trump is fundamentally correct that the media does not treat him fairly. The problem is he thinks that since they ignored all kinds of BS for others they should ignore it with him. I disagree. I think that with Trump, for the first time in a long time, the media watchdogs are doing their jobs. The problem is they are only doing it with regards to him. Why is the Biden stuff not getting more play? Why are some other stories not getting any play? That's what I think annoys people.

Anyway, getting back to the point: Joe Biden - no thanks.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby LioninVa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:27 pm

To be fair, Biden isn’t really in the race yet. I realize it is a formality, and he will be in shortly. I was unaware of this story until the last few days. It is getting a little coverage, but nothing close to the touchy-feeley story.

I do not know who I will vote for in the primary, or if it will matter when Virginia votes. Come November next year, I am fairly sure I won’t vote for Trump. If it comes to Biden and Trump (I sadly don’t see a third party as viable in this election) I will have to give it a lot of thought.

The reality to me is that nobody truly qualified is foolish enough to run.

Blue&White
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

To be fair, Biden isn’t really in the race yet.

True, but I'm not sure that is really the point. You shouldn't have to wait until he decides to run or not for the press to highlight that fact that he may have used his position as Vice President to obstruct a criminal investigation by a foreign power into his son. That sort of should have been a headline story back when it was actually happening and he was still in office. And, even more to the point - he shouldn't be running with this hanging over his head. It shouldn't even be a consideration.

As for the idea of a Trump-Biden election --- ugh. I really, really hate the thought of that. It's like having to decide which bucket of vomit to drink from. And, I hear you on the third party thing. The worst part is that in a head-to-head election I think Biden beats Trump. I doubt he can win his own primary (I think there is little chance he gets the nomination if he runs) but I think he can beat Trump. Because, in a lot of ways, he is Trump, but in a way that doesn't make most people feel like they need a bleach bath when they vote for him.

I'm not sure I can pull that lever, though. I really hope it doesn't come down to me having to find out.
Baseball season!!!!

LioninVa
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby LioninVa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 pm

I agree 100%.

If it does come down to that race, I will remember your comment when deciding. My brother “held his nose” as he voted for Trump. I would much rather not need a daily bleach bath. Sad, but true.

sameoldlama
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:43 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby sameoldlama » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:02 am

I saw the Biden story on improper use of office to benefit his son and I agree if this involved the Trump's there would be more hysteria over it. I still maintain much of the scrutiny Trump faces results from the scorched earth campaign he ran and he is not part of the establishment politics / media go along get along gang. Washington / the media / top financial influences wanted Jeb Bush or Hillary because they were both predictable go along get along players. Does anyone doubt if the same scrutiny that has been applied to Trump were to be applied to Dick Cheney for his relations to Iraq war contractors or the Clinton Foundation that they would all be in criminal court?

I enjoyed the irony of the Huggy Joe Show. I'm willing to accept that he may be a more affectionate guy but some of his behavior crosses the creepy line. Coming up behind women you either just met or don't know well and massaging their shoulders and kissing the back of their heads or touching foreheads and doing Eskimo kisses is a bit much. I didn't come from an affectionate / touchy family. I remember when I first started dating and meeting a girl's Mom briefly (like 5-10 minutes) - when we parted she gave me one deep embrace and a kiss and it made me feel awkward - not because I felt it was sexual or harmful but for me that level of contact carried a social intimacy I wasn't comfortable with - I just need more time with a person. So I get where the women who spoke about him are coming from.

Now he could have just said "hey I come from a demonstrative, affectionate family - I get not everyone is comfortable with this and I'll refrain from that in the future." Let's remember these women spoke out after Joe played the Great Woked Warrior and called out white men for their culture of sexual assault and how they needed to be go through some self loathing so they could become paragons of virtue - like him. So instead of a mea culpa he made some jokes about it saying got permission to hug some kid he just met and to explain how many people were touched and comforted by his uninvited hugs and how he is all about making that human connection (implying people who don't like being hugged by someone they just met as soulless humanoids). He's also been part and parcel to the whole victim culture / identity politics / social media mob - so creepy old white guy don't be so shocked they learned what you taught them and applied it to you.

Joe should mainly just shut up - just stick to bashing Trump - don't try and out left all the other candidates on positions. He likely has the money and establishment behind him.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

psu_dad
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 am

I didn't come from an affectionate / touchy family.

Neither did I. It's not the custom on my home planet. My wife's family, however, were big on hugs & kisses whenever someone came over. To her credit, my future MIL recognized my discomfort and backed off the kissy-face routine. And other family members followed suit. Until we got married. Then I was dead meat.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:46 am

I saw the Biden story on improper use of office to benefit his son and I agree if this involved the Trump's there would be more hysteria over it. I still maintain much of the scrutiny Trump faces results from the scorched earth campaign he ran and he is not part of the establishment politics / media go along get along gang. Washington / the media / top financial influences wanted Jeb Bush or Hillary because they were both predictable go along get along players. Does anyone doubt if the same scrutiny that has been applied to Trump were to be applied to Dick Cheney for his relations to Iraq war contractors or the Clinton Foundation that they would all be in criminal court?

I agree with all of that except maybe the criminal court comment. It's not that I don't think it's likely crimes were committed in both instances. I just think it's unfair to presume criminal guilt. But, I really wish the press was as consistently diligent with everyone running for office as they are with Trump. It would also be nice if they could wait for facts to all be known before they jump to conclusions, but that may be too much to ask.

Regarding Biden, I just think it's hilarious he's more likely to be "MeToo"-ed outof the election for being a little creepy vs. being knocked out because he likely obstructed justice - amongst other things. The implication here is people are saying "well, I can live with him using his office to get his kid out of a criminal investigation, and I'm ok with all the other unsavory aspects about him, but being affectionate to the point of being creepy? That's where the line is".
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 am

psu_dad wrote:I didn't come from an affectionate / touchy family.

Neither did I. It's not the custom on my home planet. My wife's family, however, were big on hugs & kisses whenever someone came over. To her credit, my future MIL recognized my discomfort and backed off the kissy-face routine. And other family members followed suit. Until we got married. Then I was dead meat.


I bet the stress caused from all that human contact is what drove you to start hiding Nutty Bars around the yard.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 am

In retrospect, I now believe that Nat tossed that empty Nutty Bar box on my lawn to set me up.
Fire Alex Cora