Music

Blue&White

Music

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am

I've been trying to avoid sticking everything in Random Thoughts and creating new threads.

Anyway, my wife and I saw the Gin Blossoms last night. They are doing a tour where they play the New Miserable Experience album in order. They also do songs off other albums. It was great. Robin Wilson's voice has really held up. During the encore they did a cover of Radio Head's Fake Plastic Trees which was fantastic. This is the 2nd time we've seen them and we've enjoyed both shows. If you enjoy their music I highly recommen catching their show.

We have a few concerts coming up this spring and summer. But, it turns out The Who is not on the list. My wife audibled at the line and didn't buy the tickets. I'm ok with it.

Anyway, stick all your music thoughts here.
Is it football season yet?

tempe

Re: Music

Postby tempe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 am

I've seen The Who twice. The last time was here in Tempe at Sun Devil stadium. Stood for hours to get front and center in a crazy crowd. John Melencamp got knocked out by a tossed bottle, but came back with his head wrapped up. Loverboy was the second warm up and looked nervous. I lined up in front of Pete. killer.

PSUgrower

Postby PSUgrower » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

One of the best concerts I ever saw was Eric Burdon and The Animals. I was working privy duty at the Pa Ren Faire (My wife and I were saving money to buy a house and all the money we made while cleaning the bathroom went in the bank. We made about 2 grand in tips that fall). I think it was a 60s weekend theme. I was practically finished for the day so I was able to make my way to the small concert stage area. They rocked Rising Sun and everything after that was spectacular. I loved every second of that concert and I was around 24 years old. The crowd was small but rocking out! I have seen a ton of bans: Pink Floyd, Page and Plant, Beasties, Green Day, WuTang and RATM, and they are just a few, but this concert stands out as the best music I ever heard.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 pm

I have seen so many concerts I can't keep track of them all. I've seen The Who twice. Pearl Jam a bunch of times. Foo Fighers a bunch of times. Springsteen a bunch of times. AC/DC a bunch of times. I saw Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Saw the Van Hager version of Van Halen a few times. Metallica 2 or 3 times. Steve Winwood. Paul Simon. .38 Special. Triump. Counting Crows maybe a half dozen times. Bob Dylan. Tom Petty. I used to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones whenever they were on tour. I saw the Kinks in the early 80s. George Thorogood. Saw U2 twice. I can't remember who else right now but there has been a lot of them. I started going to concerts when I was about 15, stopped for a few years when my kids were born up until my oldest turned 14, and now I'm back and see all the bands I can.

My motto is "life is short, buy the concert tickets". And, I love seeing concerts. One of my favorite things to do.

Oh, I should add Pink Floyd and the Goo Goo Dolls to that list. I just keep thinking of more shows.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Not many big show came to Erie when I was growing up, but I saw Def Leppard, Jefferson Starship, Loverboy and REO Speedwagon growing up. Since then, I have seen Billy Joel, Hootie and the Blowfish, Barenaked Ladies (those two are touring together this summer together) and many many more. We try to get to one or two concerts every summer at the amphitheater but the really big names don’t usually do those venues.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

I forgot Def Leppard. I saw them twice over the years. I've never seen Billy Joel and I wear that like a badge of honor. :)

I grew up in NJ in easy driving distance of The Meadowlands, and that housed an arena and Giants stadium. So, it was a major concert venue when I was a kid (and still is today).

Oh, I saw Bon Jovi twice. Once in 1986 and once last spring. So, just over 30 years between shows.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I would like to see Bon Jovi, but my wife would even more. They played in Erie in the late eighties at the football stadium. It was a big deal as there hadn’t been a concert there in like, forever, and the stadium attached to the high school his mother went to. The next week, Huey Lewis and the News played there as well. My sister and I were at the bar across the street listening for free but it wasn’t the same.

I saw Springsteen a while back, but he wasn’t with the E Street Band and it was a strange show. He opened with Born In the USA stomping his boot and playing harmonica and singing like Bob Dylan. We didn’t recognize the song until well into the chorus.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Wife and I bought tickets to see Heart with Joan Jett this summer. We ended up bagging on The Who. My wife just didn't want to do it.

I also bought tickets see Glen Hansard this May. Really looking forward to that one.

Shane

Postby Shane » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:15 pm

This may be a dumb question, but who is Glen Hansard?

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:14 pm

He's an Irish singer. I recommend you watch the movie Once as it features him and his music.