Music

Blue&White

Re: Music

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm

So, the Furs concert was last night. They had two opening acts: James and Dear Boy.

I never heard of Dear Boy before. They are a reasonably new band and they were actually very good. We enjoyed their set. I felt kind of bad for them, though. I know diddly squat about the music industry, but I assume when you put a new band out on tour you do it with the intention of them picking up new fans and maybe selling some CDs. This was not a good crowd for them. They were in their 20s and the crowd was not. I was on the young side. I mean, there were grandparents in that crowd. And not "I can't believe my kid had a kid while still in high school" grandparents. I mean "you've been out of college 10 years and I can't believe you finally gave me a grandchild" aged grandparents. I was probably in the younger quarter of that crowd, and I'm 50. So, not a good crowd for them.

James has been around a long time and you may remember the song "Laid" from the early 90s (which is the only song from them I knew). They were good too. I wouldn't go to see just them but they did a good set.

Anyway, the Psychedelic Furs came on at like 10:45. Or, as I like to call it: bed time. I'm ok being out that late but you can't start a set at almost 11. And, I wasn't the only one. The geriatric crowd was starting to drop off and some people left early. It was good, though. They played for just over an hour and they were done by about midnight. It's was a pretty short set for a headliner but they did all the Furs songs I knew and wanted to hear. They still sounded good. I think we paid $35/ea for those tickets, so $70 or thereabouts for the evening. I think it was worth it. We had a great time.

You should go see Modern English, Lion. When given an opportunity to see live music, always go and see the live music. I love concerts and seeing bands. I saw my first concert when I was 13 back in the summer of 1982. The Kinks at the old Garden State Art Center. And, I've been doing concerts ever since. Probably seen well over 100. Always buy the tickets is my motto.
Is it football season yet?

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 am

We may go to see that show yet. I agree 100% on the whole live music concept, even if it is local cats!

We saw The Goo Goo Doll and Train last night. The opening act, Allen Stone, was pretty good. He is a metal looking kid who sounds similar to Stevie Wonder, in my opinion. He came about and did the female vocal part of “Bruises” with Train. I didn’t realize how many Goo Goo Dolls tunes I knew, and they put in a great show. Train was really good, but something about Pat Monihan’s voice (and stage presence) turns me off. He has nasal sounding vocals and a need to be the center of attention all of the time. Still, a great show and a fun crowd but I could have used more sleep!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 am

I really liked Train's first album when it came out ~20 years ago, but it's really been downhill since then in my opionion. They started out as this kind of folk/rock band and turned into ... I'm not sure what. Oh well.

I always enjoy the Goo Goo Dolls. We've seen them a few times and are seeing that same show you saw in a few weeks.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am

My wife said she thought they (he?) sold out with the more recent stuff. I was surprised that Train was the headliner, to be honest. Maybe that are taking turns; I have seen shows that do that.

I think you will enjoy the show, for sure.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am

They are probably alternating. I also see that a lot.

And, I always laugh at the "sell out" comment about musicians. The point is to make money. If you are making music you personally enjoy, and people want to pay to listen to it. what's the problem? I'm not a fan of the direction Train went, but they have sustained for 20 years so good for them. Clearly I'm not in the majority.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:08 pm

I have alway felt that the point was to make good music. You said that, early on they were more rock/folk but changed and is now more commercial and pop oriented. I do not know if the musical change was influenced by a change musicians or a desire to sell more and earn more. It could be both or it could be something totally different.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 pm

You can't make the same record or the same basic song over and over. You have to evolve. I didn't personally care for their evolution but I don't begrudge them for making a buck.

I had a very different view of this as a kid. But, as an adult, I realize we are all sell outs and who am I to judge.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:56 am

Saw Noel Gallagher and Smashiing Pumpkins last night. Pumpkins did a great show. Billy Corgan, however, looks like he's a cross between the undead and Uncle Fester. He is one weird looking dude. Good show, though.

Seeing Goo Goo Dolls and Train this Saturday night. Looking forward to that. What I'm not looking forward to is the headaches associated with getting my wife around the grounds with her broken ankle. We had some challenges yesterday with seats. We literally could not get to ours and ended up sitting in a handicap area. And, that was fine, but the machinations of getting to that point were a bit painful. For Saturday we have a better idea of how to approach it so hopefully it's less of a pain in the ass. And, we plan to get there earlier so it doesn't cut into concert time.

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Lion - I can't now recall when you were seeing Goo Goo Dolls and Train. Did that come and go already?

Wife and I went last night. Goo Goo Dolls went first (I think they alternate) so their set wasn't as long as I would have liked. But, they were good. We've seen them a bunch of times and they always do a good show.

I was impressed with Train. We originally planned to leave during their set but they keep us in our seats. Not a huge fan of theirs but I really enjoyed the concert. Curious what your feedback is.

Anyway, that was all the shows we had planned. Now just waiting for someone else to come around.

LioninVa

Postby LioninVa » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:19 pm

We saw Train and Goo Goo Dolls about a month back. Loved Goo Goo Dolls (they were first) but would have liked to hear more of them. Train was good but I felt like it was the Pat M ego fest. The band was killer, don’t get me wrong. All in all, it was a great show.