2019 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

Hey Shore - something for you

Chris Davis is now 0 - 44

Ooof. That is brutal. He has been awful since the day he signed that contract.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 am

Including this year, he's only owed another 92M. So there's that.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 am

That was a crazy deal when they did it. There was no 2nd bidder and Davis kept insisting he would sit if they didn't sign that crazy deal. They should have called his bluff. That negotiation was as crazy as the Cano negotiation with the Mariners. There was no 2nd team in the running, the Mariners were negotiating against themselves at that point, and the price kept going up. I negotiate for a living and I can't get over how bad some of these teams are at it.
Baseball season!!!!

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

At some point the O's are just going to have to eat that contract and move on. If you have any hope of winning you can't keep putting three guaranteed outs in the lineup every day. I do feel bad for him though. Yeah he's making a ton of money and everybody says they'd be willing to suck for that kind of money but as a human being you know he doesn't want to keep letting his team and fans down. I'd rather this happen to somebody who was actually an a-hole instead of Davis, who is actually a pretty likable guy.

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 am

The Orioles sure found themselves this weekend.

I think the Orioles should make Davis play every day. I am fairly convinced he took PEDs in his contract year to pump his numbers and land that deal. Now the only thing that can void it is getting caught for PEDs so he got off them. I am almost equally convinced he's tanking hoping to get DFAed and cut loose with a big pile of money without the hassle of having to embarrass himself.

Keep playing him, may he can be shamed into doing PEDs again. Right now his name should be the first thing uttered when players cry collusion or complain about a depressed FA market. He's the first argument against baseball contracts having so much guaranteed dollars.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Now the only thing that can void it is getting caught for PEDs so he got off them.

That's not true. You can't void a MLB contract due to getting caught with PEDs. The player gets suspended and you don't have to pay him during the suspension but the rest of the contract is intact and you have to pay it out.

Now, if Davis gets caught 3 times and gets a lifetime ban, then you can stop paying him, but the odds of that are not great. Not everyone is as big a schmuck as Jenry Meija - and his lifetime ban didn't even stick!
Baseball season!!!!

sameoldlama

Postby sameoldlama » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:58 pm

Poorly worded but I meant the only way they get out of any of this is if he gets PED suspensions. He's been suspended once so theoretically another one should trigger a 50 -100 game suspension and one beyond that might net a year. At this point any money they could claw back would be a victory.
Wendall : That's very linear Sheriff
Ed Tom : Age will flatten a man Wendall

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Well, the good news is that a second suspension gets him a 162 game ban. The bad news is that, given that he' used PEDs to get that big contract, and he gets paid no matter how badly he sucks (and boy does he suck) there is no rational reason for him to ever juice again. So, you're clearly hoping/praying for irrationality from him - which I suppose is possible. Some guys never learn <cough> ARod </cough>
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 am

He set the MLB hitless streak record yesterday. And this is a league older than dirt. The Orioles also set an attendance record:
only 6,585 hearty souls showed up at Camden Yards.
Fire Alex Cora

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am

But on the plus side they won the game.