2019 Baseball Season

Blue&White

Re: 2019 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 am

That has to be an Orioles attendance record because it's not an MLB record. Last year the Marlins had a game where they had fewer people attend than showed up for their AA affiliate. A whopping 6,150 people showed up for the Marlins that night. And, I'm not sure that was even their low water mark last year.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:07 am

Yes, that was a Camden Yards record. I remember going down there in the '90s a couple of times to see the Red Sox. You had to kill someone to get a ticket.
Fire Alex Cora

ShoreLion

Postby ShoreLion » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:07 am

A record except for the game when nobody was allowed because of the riots :roll:

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Man, that Chris Sale extension is really paying off.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Jacob deGrom is apparently not immune from the Extension Curse. He's getting shellacked. First time in a long time he's been hit like this.
Baseball season!!!!

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Chris Davis went 0 - 3 today. I think that puts him at 0 - 32 on the season. And 0 for his last 50 something at bats.

He should start batting with a bag over his head. I wouldn't even cut eyeholes in it. Just a bag. It's not like he can do any worse.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:18 pm

I often say "I could do that" in reference to pro athletes, usually in jest. But I absolutely/positively could go 0-for-50 if given the opportunity.

I could probably play 1B also. I've heard it's "not that hard".
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:27 am

How's your eyesight? If it's not that good, you could have called balls and strikes in last night's Mets-Braves game.

Actually, that's not fair. I think the problem wasn't the umpire couldn't see the ball or the strike zone. I think the problem was the Braves questioned him calling a check swing a strike without asking for help from an ump who had a better view (and he blew the call - it was NOT a swing by any definition), and then he got vindictive about it.

I'm against replacing the umpires with computers. I think human umpires are part of the game and learning how each umpire calls the zone has been part of baseball for over 120 years. But, some of these guys are real douchebags and there needs to be more accountability. The umpire working the plate last night really screwed the Braves late in the game. He made a questionable call, the Braves challenged him, he throws out their manager, and then he rings up their next two batters on outside pitches that were way, way off the plate. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, at the top of the next inning he issues a walk to Conforto on a ball that - while a little outside - was much closer to being a strike than the two strike 3 pitches he called on the last 2 Braves batters. And, it was obvious he was doing it intentinally.

The Mets won that game and it helped out my team, but, man, that should not be. That umpire needs to be pulled for a game or two and MLB really needs to have a discussion with him about his behavior in that game.
Baseball season!!!!

psu_dad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm against replacing the umpires with computers.

He wouldn't be totally replaced. He'd still be behind the plate calling foul tips, check swings, balks and tags at home, as necessary. Only the ball/strike calls would be automated.

The data that has been collected for years indicates that umpires get virtually all the clear ball/strike calls right, but that calls on the edge of the zone are a random process. I'm all for automating this, if implemented properly. I just don't have any faith in MLB implementing it properly.
Fire Alex Cora

Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 pm

I hate the idea but I think it's inevitable. But, in all honesty, after watching the bullshit the umpire pulled last night I'm starting to warm to it. Some of these guys think they are part of the action. For example, MLB needs to look into the actions of umpire Ron Kulpa after this bullshyte with the Astros 2 weeks ago. There is no reason for the umps to be picking a fight.

And, there are a few umpires who are consistently in the middle of controversey. If you are an umpire and the fans know your name, you are clearly doing something wrong. Those are the guys MLB should be looking at.
Baseball season!!!!